The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Restoration of a 1999 C-Dory 22 Cruiser
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pcg

City/Region: Sherwood
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Quest
Photos: pcg
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:32 pm    Post subject: Restoration of a 1999 C-Dory 22 Cruiser Reply with quote

First, I should say that I have lurked on this site for some time, and finally joined last summer. I have been searching for a project boat, not a boat that just needed re-powering, but a boat that I could completely strip and then build out to my specification. Basically I wanted a bare hull. I finally found one.

I have already benefited immensely from the knowledge shared by fellow owners on this site. I can’t say enough how grateful I am for this. To help pay that forward I plan to document here everything I learn and do as I repair the hull and build out the boat. I’ll also be most grateful for suggestions from those with more knowledge about these boats than me, which, at this point, is basically all of you!

I can’t work on this full time, and am expecting it will be two years before I purchase the electronics and a new motor. There is much to be done prior to that time. I’m not new to big projects and I can’t wait to dig into this one. I have experience working on fiberglass, welding, wiring, building cabinetry, etc., so I feel confident doing the work needed in those areas. The one area that is new to me is gelcoat. I’ll have to learn all about applying that so that will be fun. I’ll post progress reports and photos as I go along.

To start, I have a post prepared that deals with the history of the boat and how I came to purchase it. Because it may only interest a very few of you and it’s quite long, this forum may not be the best place to post it? Is there a better place? Can I somehow post a lengthy report as a comment in my “album”?

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, Welcome to C-BRATS and to the best community for boats and boat people you could find anywhere. Lots of great info here, and folks of multiple talents who are glade to share. I look forward to watching your work. I do not have those talents, skills or what all else it takes to do your project or I would be starting one here. I know of a boat like what you were looking for if anyone else is interested.

As to where to post, the title of the thread you just started would make it easy to go back and find the thread later, and the search would make it easier to find it that way.

Going back to the same thread with the continuation would make it easier to follow. My vote would be to add the history of your boat here at the beginning of the restoration thread.

Merry Christmas,

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

olsurfdog

City/Region: Carmel Valley
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: Summer
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I get it! this is a separate recore thread. My second post in the "recore" thread was really addressed to you, as I said there go for it you'll learn a lot by doing!
Because I was where I was
Knipet

City/Region: Orcas Island
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Pan-A-C'ya
Photos: Pan-A-C'ya
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm new to C-Dorys, but would love to read about the history of your boat and be able to follow along on your project to revitalize your boat! I hope the site administrators set you up an album soon so you can document your efforts.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would continue with this thread on the restoration. You knowledge and skills will always help others. Cannot wait to see what you are able to do!
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Noo Yawk

City/Region: Truro
State or Province: MA
Vessel Name: Kittiwake
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject: Free Wallis Stove and Autopilot Reply with quote

Hello Paul,

I am Peter Burgess out here on the tip of Cape Cod. I bought a 2004 22' cruiser named "Wanderer", which was something like a legend here - used from Maine to Florida to Alaska. It is now "Kittiwake". Like you, I have taken care to upgrade it. This included a replacement for the Wallis stove. The owner said the stove was "balky", and had it refurbished by the manufacturer. He told me he used Coleman fuel. I spoke to the manufacturer, who said the problem was probably the fuel, and if I used #2 the refurbished stove should work fine. I still replaced it, but I still have that stove and it probably is okay. I'm offering it for free for anyone who pays the shipping. I also have the original autopilot helm attachment. No use to me. Ditto free plus shipping for that. Let me know.
pcg

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Free Wallis Stove and Autopilot Reply with quote

Peter,

Thank you so much for the generous offer of your Wallace strove.

I'll pass on this though because my wife and I are fond of propane for cooking so we'll be installing a marine propane stove. I know many are leary of propane from a safety standpoint, but we've been very happy with it in our RV for many years. I'll be converting one of the cockpit lazarettes into a propane locker and will do a proper and safe installation.

As for the autopilot helm attachment, I'll pass on that as well.

Thank you for thinking of me!

Paul
srbaum

City/Region: Portsmouth
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noo Yawk,
I sent you a PM last evening.

OSPREY (Ex ADITI) 2007 26 Cape Cruiser 2018
pcg

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So here’s a bit of history…

A few wondered about the boat mentioned here:
http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=26170&highlight=bow+rail

I didn’t see this link until last summer and by then the boat had been sold. So, when the boat showed up again this fall, this time on eBay, I scrambled to learn all I could about it. The link above said the boat had been “tied up wrong at the dock and sank in 6' of saltwater”. I wanted to know more about this event and with a half dozen phone calls and the help of Google I was able to trace the history through the first five owners and up to this incident. During this time the boat was listed for sale on eBay three times. It failed to sell on the first two auctions, due to “reserve not met”, but after the seller removed the reserve, I bought the boat.

I wasn’t able to learn much at all about the boat’s history from the owner until I learned the name of the boat, and that alone would have gotten me nowhere except for the fact that the boat had been instrumental in the rescue of another vessel 13 years ago. That event resulted in a story on the web, and Googling the name of the boat yielded just one hit. Here it is…
http://coastalscience.com/news/cse-assists-in-rescue-at-sea/

From there on it was a matter of picking up the phone and calling people. Here’s a summary of what I learned about the boat’s history. It’s interesting to me, and likely only me, but I’ll post it here to archive it for any future owners of this boat. It’s condensed and I’ve left out specific names.

1999 C-Dory Cruiser 22, HID #DOR22866J999 has spent almost all of its life as a work boat, and it shows. It really shows. Boats that are used as pleasure craft don't know how good they have it!

It was purchased new by someone (never learned who this was) and sold shortly thereafter to engineering company #1 (see rescue story above) in South Carolina around 2001, I spoke with a long-time employee who told me they used it as a survey boat all over the east coast, including in Moriches Inlet on Long Island, Oregon Inlet in South Carolina, off the Outer Banks and areas off Georgia. It was fitted with scuba tank racks and a water pump was mounted on the cockpit deck. He said it was very seaworthy, but they found it to be too light for rough water (they were often in surf), making for an uncomfortable ride. They replaced it with a heavier boat that had a more comfortable ride. It incurred no damage during their ownership, except that one of the fuel tanks unexpectedly developed a leak, making for a slippery cockpit floor on the way back to the dock. They replaced it with a new one from the C-Dory factory.

They sold the boat in 2008 to engineering company #2 in South Carolina. I called them and spoke with a current employee. I learned from him that during the time they had the boat, the only damage it incurred was that the swim ladder was ripped of the step while pulling the boat onto the trailer. It was eventually sold to engineering company #3 in South Carolina.

I called engineering company #3 and was directed to a past employee who was familiar with the boat, but no longer working for the company. I contacted this gentleman, who told me that while he was working there, someone left the boat tied up to a dock in late summer of 2014. The next morning the boat was flipped upside down in the water. It was tied up in an industrial area (across the river from Blount Island) with large boats going in and out and speculation is that at some point, as the tide went out and back in during the night, the wake from a large boat banged it around and flipped it. The front of the bow rail and the bow roller were broken off. The motor was never running during this time so the info from the link referenced earlier was not accurate.

The boat was removed the same day and damage to the bottom of the hull was discovered. The individual I talked to thinks this occurred at a prior time and was never noticed because the scrape was hidden by a trailer bunk. At any rate, at this point engineering company #3 filed an insurance claim on the boat, and it was sold to a marine repair company on James Island. I tried to contact this company, but they are apparently out of business as their phone is no longer in service.

I wish I could talk to them because I assume that it was they who repaired the hull damage, and I’d like to know the extent of the damage and how the repair was done. There is a rectangular painted-over area on the hull, but it’s centered over a trailer bunk so I can’t tell much about it at this point. This will be a principal area to investigate when I get the boat into my shop late next summer.

After 2014 things get fuzzy. No one has registered the boat since the South Carolina tags expired in 2015. When the boat was offered for sale in February of 2018 it apparently (according to link above) had a Honda 90 mounted on the transom. The title I obtained (which is a clear standard title), shows it was registered in July of 2018 from the seller I bought it from. Also, when it showed up on eBay, it no longer had the non-working Honda 90 that it apparently had in February of 2018. It was advertised on eBay as having a “wrong motor”, which was a “non-working” 150hp Mercury. It was also an extra-long-shaft motor and obviously a misfit. Someone had removed the carbs and they were in a box in the cabin.

As the seller was not available for more questions the day I picked up the boat, I dealt with the seller’s agent to finalize the sale. I learned from the agent that the seller “was furious” when they discovered that it had an incorrectly sized motor on it and that it needed carburetor work. The seller was not prepared to do any boat work themselves, needed cash, and just wanted out. I suspect I am the third owner since February of 2018.
pcg

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trailering the boat back to the PNW…

As for the trailer, I assumed it would need a lot of work at best and brought equipment to repack bearings, replace brake pads, etc. When I saw the shape it was in I decided it was not worth repairing. I left it with the seller’s agent and had Charleston Trailer build a custom tandem trailer for the boat. They dropped everything and spent the two days before Thanksgiving measuring, building the trailer, and lifting the boat onto it. Wonderful folks!

I was intending to keep and repair the motor for resale, but after a day of pondering my life over the next few years, I decided I didn’t need another project. At that point it was dead weight that I didn’t want to haul back to Oregon so I gave it and the controls to the first person I could find that could remove it for me with four hours notice. If the motor has no other problems than carburetion then they got a great deal and I’m happy for them.

The trip back to Oregon was uneventful. I took the southern route back to avoid a blizzard in Wyoming. I was on the road a total of eleven days, including three in Charleston, for a total of 6,500 miles. I slept in my heated camper every night and listened to NPR, the Rolling Stones, and The Grateful Dead during the day. I went through 19 states and the ones in the south were all new to me so that was fun. And I can never get enough of the American West so that was fun as well. The trailer and boat rode so well that I hardly noticed it was behind me.

As soon as I got home I carefully measured all of the interior cabinetry, then photographed every detail of how the boat was fitted - all the fastener locations, wiring, plumbing, etc. Then I stripped the boat of cabinetry, tanks, and hoses. I’m leaving the existing wiring for now, as a reference for how the boat was originally wired, but will eventually strip all of it as well.

I saved the SeaStar 1.7 hydraulic steering system, compass, the water and fuel tanks, anchor/chain/rode, and some items stowed in the berth area, including a nice 25’ fiberglass telescoping sounding pole. Because of its cool factor I also saved a large orange flashing strobe light that was stowed there as well. The hole in the mounting plate matches the two big bolts mounted on either side of the cabin roof so I assume there used to be two of these up there, and the other was destroyed when the boat rolled against the dock. If the remaining one doesn’t work after cleaning that will be my first disappointment. Sad

I’m taking the old analogue gauges to Goodwill, and I was going to take the alcohol stove to Goodwill as well, as it looked to be in good shape after cleaning, but when I looked underneath I saw that the galvanized box was rusted so I threw it out, as I don’t want an alcohol stove. Surprisingly, except for rusted fasteners where the cabinetry was affixed to the cabin floor, and corrosion on the manual aluminum wiper controls (which are frozen), there is no sign of anything ever having been wet. The cushions in the berth area obviously came from another boot as they didn’t fit, so I threw them out. The ones in the cabin were functional but faded. I’ll use them only for patterns for new ones, then throw them out. Same for the snap-on accessories like the berth entry cover and window covers.

After removing all of the above, I thoroughly pressure washed the entire boat – inside and out. I towel dried it, brought it inside an (unheated) outbuilding, set up a dehumidifier and light bulb (for a little heat) inside the cabin, and parked it for the winter. I plan to remove some foam under the berth area as soon as possible, both for future storage and also because I’ve read of other boat owners finding moisture in the foam when it was removed, and I want to get all the moisture out of the boat over the winter.

As soon as I do that I’ll post some photos of that process, along with some “before” photos and my preliminary damage assessment and what I think I'm up against for the next couple years.
hardee

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, What a great write up, and incredible research. Hopefully there will be a C-BRAT local to where that repair shop was that may be able to lend a hand in researching that repair facility and crew. Congratulations on your find and on making good decisions and good progress already. You sound like this is going to be a piece of cake adventure for you, and I hope it is. Challenges, one day at a time keep life interesting. Please, keep up the writing, and some photos into the albums would be great.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

pcg

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
...You sound like this is going to be a piece of cake adventure for you...
Ha! Well I didn't mean to give that impression, but it will certainly be an adventure.

hardee wrote:
... Challenges, one day at a time keep life interesting...
Yes!

hardee wrote:
... Hopefully there will be a C-BRAT local to where that repair shop was that may be able to lend a hand in researching that repair facility and crew...
What a great idea Harvey. Thank you!
I think the repairs were done at Dukes Marine Service in Charleston, which apparently is no longer in business. Anyone know anyone who worked there in 2014 or 2015?
hardee

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul said these:
Quote:
".....a marine repair company on James Island. I tried to contact this company, but they are apparently out of business as their phone is no longer in service.

....I wish I could talk to them because I assume that it was they who repaired the hull damage, and I’d like to know the extent of the damage and how the repair was done.

....I think the repairs were done at Dukes Marine Service in Charleston, which apparently is no longer in business. Anyone know anyone who worked there in 2014 or 2015?"

Are these all in South Carolina? Sometimes the states can be helpful too.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the great and detailed write up. I would check out the core in the areas of the repair, and where every screw penetrated the hull. You may want to tab the wood cabinets in with fiberglass, rather than the "L" brackets and screws.

It sounds like a great project and will turn out with your having a beautiful and functional boat.
pcg

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
...Are these all in South Carolina?...
Yes, I should have been more explicit. Everything happened in South Carolina. Thanks Harvey.

thataway wrote:
...I would check out the core in the areas of the repair, and where every screw penetrated the hull. You may want to tab the wood cabinets in with fiberglass, rather than the "L" brackets and screws...
I will do all of those. Thank you Bob!

As I post more information, I'm hoping that people won't hesitate to state their opinions or concerns or advice. Members' suggestions are valuable to me!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: