hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You all will really enjoy having the AP on line. There is no way I would have spent the $$$$ to put Autopilot on if I had been buying my boat new. In fact, It was there, but I rarely used it for the first 3 or 4 years. After crossing half (about 14 miles), of Juan de Fuca in thick fog, (Vis about 1/4 to 1/2 mile), I learned how to use the early Raymarine AP so I would have it for "next time". When that system final went belly up, it was replaced quite rapidly. The new one gets used every time the boat goes out.

It is one of the systems I rely on most frequently, (the other is the AIS).

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Avidmagnum12

City/Region: Ocklawaha
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2011
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Otter
Photos: C-Otter
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It took me a little longer than I hoped but I have my Garmin Reactor 40 autopilot with smart pump installed. There were no instructions with the system possibly because it had a rebuilt pump. I was able to get documentation on the web and a couple of calls to Garmin Support. The only real problem I had was a couple of leaks where the 1/4 inch fittings went into the shadow drive. Took me three tries to stop the leaks! Everything else sealed with no problem. Bleeding the hydraulic system was no problem with the hints that were given here. The Dockside Wizard was easy. I still need to run the calibration on the water. Plan on doing that Monday.

More after we get it going on the water. Tom

2011 CD 25 "C-Otter" 07/2015 to present
2011 CD 25 "My Girl" 06/2015 renamed C-Otter
2004 CD 22 Commuter "Out2C" 03/10 to 06/15
Avidmagnum12

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick note....I added some photos to the autopilot album....Tom
Avidmagnum12

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ran the Sea Trial Wizard this morning. Went pretty well. The only problem I had was setting North on the autopilot The first time it was off so I had to rerun the Wizard. The autopilot functions flawlessly in light chop even at slow speeds. I’ll report later about performance in “rough” water”. So far it’s everything I hoped it would be and the Admiral gives it 👍 👍.

Thanks for all the advice.....Tom
jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear everything works as planed. Be sure to tell us how it works for fishing.

colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got my new Garmin Reactor 40 Autopilot with Smart pump installed as well. Photos can be seen at my nested album: http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album2925&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php.

It'll be March at the Hontoon gathering before I can do the water setup, but everything appears to be working after the dockside setup. The biggest setback during the installation, was I kinked one of the main steering hoses while moving it around. It was only kinked for a minute or so, and seemed to straighten out without problem. There doesn't appear to be any leaks or ill effect, but I do have a message into SeaStar to find out what the cross section of that hose looks like, and if I could have probable internal damage to the hose.

Once again, I have my old RayMarine EV-100 autopilot now for sale if anyone is interested. The pump is the small one; just not big enuf to handle the size steering ram I had in any kind of wind or current at slow troll speeds. I imagine it would do fine on a smaller boat and motor.

Colby
Water Bill

City/Region: Lake Keowee, SC
State or Province: SC
C-Dory Year: 2018
Vessel Name: Mystery Girl (Ranger Tug R-23)
Photos: Mystery Girl and C-Swell
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job with your install Colby. I know you are going to enjoy the auto pilot once you get the calibration taken care of when you get Midnight Fler back on the water. I use mine all the time. Would not want to give it up. See you and Rosanne in March, at Hontoon.
Bill

Boston Whaler Super Sport 17 1986 to 2007
colbysmith

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bill. Not to happy with my answer from Seastar though:

"Good Morning
Thanks for the email , if the hose was kinked we recommend changing it as the nylon braid will break and the hose will blister and fail at the location of the kink. "

So far, no blistering, and not sure if the nylon braid was broken. But I think the best course of action is going to be order a new hose and install it when things are warmer again. I'd hate to have the hose leak on the Inside Passage this summer! Colby
colbysmith

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went out and did some measuring. Best measurement I came up with to replace the original steering lines is 22'. Anyone else replace their steering hoses on the CD-22 and remember what length the hose was? Colby
colbysmith

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh never mind. I pulled the old hose out. 22' it is. And my local shops that repair my tractor hydraulics don't have fittings to work on 5/16" seastar hose, so looks like I'm ordering new. Anyone interested in just one 22' Seastar hose? I don't plan on replacing the other hose which has nothing wrong with it. Colby
Avidmagnum12

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent three days on the St. John’s River last week finding out what the autopilot would do.

I started by running in fairly calm conditions at normal cruise speed (about 6 mph) and ran as slow as 2.2 mph both up and down river. It held heading unbelievably well. We did the same with the Yamaha 9.9 hi thrust and outcome was the same. The autopilot worked flawlessly at 15 to 35 mph.

The next day we had 1 1/2 to 2 footers on Lake Monroe. No surprise the only challenge we had was with the kicker going into the waves at very slow speed. Just not enough power however at 4 to 5mph it did a good job. Down wind no problems at all. Top speed was limited to about 16 to 20 by the waves. We programmed different headings on the Garmin chart plotter and the Reactor held true every time.

My wife went along with the purchase but questioned it at first but after taking the helm she was completely sold. Does every C-Dory need an autopilot....No!
But for fishing, long distance cruising and thick fog it sure is a handy tool.

Jody....I love the controller bracket holder idea that You had. It keeps the unit handy at all times....Thanks.

Colby....see you at Hontoon. If you don’t get yours calibrated by then I’ll give you a hand 🖐.

Tom
colbysmith

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tom. Sounds like it's a great autopilot. It should be for the price! Smile Got everything finished up on my boat yesterday, as we had some nice 33 degree clear weather. Today, rain, freezing rain and later snow... I'm pretty much done with boat projects until spring! See you in March. Colby
jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom glad I could help.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been watching this thread because I have friends who just purchased a CD-25 and are having Auto Pilot installed. I am interested in how it works as I am not using a Garmin AP on my boat. Thanks to all for the participation.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

colbysmith

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Harvey,
I for one am hoping my new Garmin Autopilot works better than my old Ray Marine did, as I have Garmin Electronics in the Chartplotter category. Just some observations. Garmin uses standard Network 2000 data cables, where Ray Marine uses their SeaTalk NG. This is a pain with the RayMarine when connecting to other products, in that STNG has different connectors than the "standard" Network 2000 that most other manufacturers use. RayMarine and Garmin don't communicate well together either. The RayMarine AP could only follow "routes" from my Garmin Chartplotter. It would not link to "tracks" or "autoguidance". As for the actual installation, some tips I learned over my initial installation of the RayMarine and my recent upgrade to the Garmin.
- Have everything available before you start the install. Ie. Hydraulic hoses, fittings, Network cables and connections, Hydraulic fluid, etc.
-Identify and mark the original hoses before you unhook them. Too easy to get them reversed at the helm when you hook them back up.
- Be careful not to kink or damage hoses as you remove, replace and install them.
- Plan location of everything, and then install all the components, then plumb, then connect the electronics/electricity.

There are two main hose types you'll likely be working with in regards to SeaStar systems. Their 5/16" ID hose kits rated at 1000psi, with connection nuts on the ends, or 3/8" OD Nylon tubing #502 that uses 3/8" compression nuts. My steering system, being an outboard, had the 5/16" hose. Now this is where some question comes in. I, as many from what I've seen in various blogs, have used the 502 Nylon Steering Tube to run from Tees in the original steering line, to the auto pilot pump, and for the return line. The 502 is not as flexible as the 5/16, however has the advantage of being cheaper and able to cut to any length. I ran the 502 with my old RayMarine AP system with no issues. I have turned the steering wheel past the Outboard's ram travel, so as to open the helm's internal relief valve, and have not seen any leaks anywhere in the system. Seastar says to use the 5/16" line on Outboards, yet allows use of the 502 on Inboards, so I assume a lot of that deals with movement of the hose / tube due to the set up of the Outboard's ram. I guess I'll see over time if using the 502 tube is detrimental to running the more expensive 5/16" hose. Lastly, the helm and autopilot pumps require 1/4" MIP fittings. (Male Pipe Thread) The hoses are 3/8" compression or tube fittings. So you will require straight and Tee fittings at the helm of 1/4" MIP x 3/8" tube, or if you place tees somewhere other than at the helm or AP pump, you'll need tees that have 3/8" tube fittings on all 3 ends. I have the old style helm while the new helms have ORB fittings. Those would be much nicer in that you can properly align tees in any direction, whereas with the old helms, while all instructions say not to use tefflon tape, you may very well need to in order to properly orientate your fitting without it leaking. Colby
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: