The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Anyone have a used Raymarine C80 they'd like to sell?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject: Anyone have a used Raymarine C80 they'd like to sell? Reply with quote

My C80 just crapped out yesterday while crabbing. I can't believe how blind I felt (not even knowing depth!).

I checked into new MFDs I could substitute, but they are all incompatible with my radar and probably depth sounder.....so I'd have to replace everything Crook.

My best bet is likely to find a used C80. I'm nervous about eBay. But buying from a C-Brat would give me the confidence that at least I wasn't purposely getting ripped off.

P.S. I called Raymarine, and they had some refurbished C80s just few months ago, but they sold them all, and have now discontinued all interaction with this old line of gear. Just my luck!
DavidM

City/Region: Punta Gorda
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your problem with the C80 is hash on the screen, try pressing the screen down around the sides and corners. Often a connector inside comes loose which causes the problem. Pushing the screen restores the connection.

There is a fairly simple way to fix it permanently by removing the unit and trimming the connector a little bit, but I have long lost the directions to do this. But pushing the screen often works.

David
Pacificcoast101

City/Region: Torrance
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: No Pressure
Photos: No Pressure
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used Ebay for eighteen years without an issue. There are several working C80s available for as little as $200. There are so many seller protections on Ebay now that if you have any problems it's easy to get a full refund.

Southern California Marine Life
https://www.flickr.com/photos/southern_california_marine_life/albums

My Photos
https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/?pseudoid=%7bAC42A235-FD0A-464A-B559-1CC5843C95FB%7d&name=Phil+Garner&st=11&mode=0&comp=1
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I buy stuff from eBay all the time. Some for personal use and some for my work. Most of the time I don't have any problems. For the time or two that there was a problem, they were resolved quickly to my satisfaction.
Peter & Judy

City/Region: Olds
State or Province: AB
Vessel Name: Mistaya
Photos: Mistaya
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a C80, sorry not selling it at this time, but I know that I will need to replace it in the next few years. I would be interested in hearing the compatibility problems with the existing Radar, depth sounder etc before I move up to some thing like a Raymarine Axiom. Any information would be useful for future reference as I don't want to get into more than I bargained for when I do upgrade. My system was original equipment installed on my 2005 cruiser by EQ Marine.

HMCB Mistaya
"Mistaya" (Grizzly Bear in Cree)
HMCB (Her Majesties Cute Boat)
Pacificcoast101

City/Region: Torrance
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: No Pressure
Photos: No Pressure
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a C80 and wanted to upgrade last year. The new models are digital so my radar was not compatible. Rather than replace my radar as well I decided to keep the C80 for now.
pdoe

City/Region: Whidbey Island
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Blue Heron
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I upgraded my electronics at EQ last spring. I have a 2007 mfd. I sent it in to replace the motherboard in 2012.

Phil
smckean (Tosca)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidM wrote:
There is a fairly simple way to fix it permanently by removing the unit and trimming the connector a little bit, but I have long lost the directions to do this. But pushing the screen often works.

Thanks for the tip. I tried it yesterday....no joy.

I my case, the screen starts out all white, then quickly starts showing gray blotches which become ever more black; after a few minutes, my entire screen is black except for a little white at each corner. I never get even get the "Hit OK" message after powering up.
smckean (Tosca)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter & Judy wrote:
I would be interested in hearing the compatibility problems with the existing Radar, depth sounder.....

I called Raymarine yesterday to ask if there is a current product that I could substitute with as little pain as possible. The answer was worse than I thought. Not only is there no substitute, but today's equipment is totally incompatible with the C80 era stuff (analog vs digital I think). For example, to use an Axiom would required me to replace both my existing perfectly functioning radar and depth sounder.
DavidM

City/Region: Punta Gorda
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry the screen push trick didn't work for you. Yes the C80 and similar Cs is analogue and the world is now digital. You might want to call Pete Waterson at Seacoast Marine Electronics in Oriental, NC and see if the has a C80 available to sell.

Pete is a Raymarine dealer and a hell of a sharp guy. His number is 252-249-2222. He may also know how to make the internal connector stay in contact. That still might be your problem. As I recall the case interferes with the connector and over time loosens it. Pushing the screen will often fix it for a day, a week or ????, but cutting a bit of the case that causes the problem is a long term fix if that is really the problem.

If he does have a C80 to sell, ask him to fix the connector problem before he sends it to you. I have had C70 and C80 chart plotters on two different boats and both had this problem. One I sent to Raymarine to fix back when they still supported them, the other I kept pushing the screen when it acted up.

David
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another "local" place would be Roger Marine Electronics in Portland. Excellent in electronics, Raymarine dealer, and reliable. 503-287-1101 Tell them a C-Brat sent you Laughing

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

smckean (Tosca)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to Phil's (pdoe) reply above, I was able to purchase from him his old C80 (and other equipment) surplused after he upgraded his electronics on his boat. Super lucky for me that he lives within an hour of me; so picking it up yesterday was a cinch!!!!

I just tested the C80 with a car battery here at home......works great. I'm off to install it on my boat right now (the boat is hanging on a buoy at the moment).

Thanks again Phil!! Yea, C-Brats!!
joc1212

City/Region: OAK HARBOR
Vessel Name: Last Time ll
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:36 pm    Post subject: ENTIRE RAYMARINE SYSTEM FOR SALE---ALL MANUALS INCLUDED Reply with quote

Complete MFD, Radar, Sonar, Transducer. Standard Horizon VHF .

Bought 2005 C-Dory 25' cruiser.
Replaced all the working and fully operational Raymarne electronics with 2018 electronics.
Had professional installer remove 2005 gear with instructions to remove it so it could be re-installed in another vessel.
Selling the whole package.
Don't want to piece meal it out. Need it out of my shop.

This is the C Series with the DSM250 Digital Sounder Module and 18" radome.

We can talk price if you want the whole package. I have pictures of the MFD working in Chart, Radar, and Sounder modes that I can email to you. These were taken the day before equipment was removed from boat.[/b]

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: