The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Fujinon 14x40 Stabilized Binoculars....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question for those who have the Fuji 14x40's. Do they have a tripod socket, or mount built in? Also, the filter size I read here earlier was 48mm. Are the lenses threaded to accept a standard 48mm UV filter, or are they some sort of specialized clip in that has to come from Fujinon?

Thanks for checking and your reply AYC.

I still have some time to pull the trigger on a "Cyber Monday" purchase, so that I can do my part to add to the shopping madness. AND do my part to support the economy. Rolling Eyes Aahhhh and who is supporting my economy now Question Embarassed Oh yeah, that's me. I've been doing that for a long time. Wonder if Santa does retirement surprises Laughing Laughing

Joe, I love the pix. Thanks.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

kennharriet

City/Region: Grangeville
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Lochsa
Photos: Lochsa
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all of you I was talked into another boating related purchase today. As much as I protested, 14x40's were ordered through Defender where they are presently on sale.

Nothing worse than your wife forcing you to buy boating accessories. : )
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey,

No tripod socket---but a tripod is antithesis of what the stabilization system does--and on a boat, that would be of little help. I have a 20 to 50X Minolta spotting scope, and that is always mounted on a very sturdy tripod, but it is for terrestrial use only!

Filters: The issue of inferior glass (mostly the coatings) over good lenses--again, not something I do. I have some good Canon and Ziess lenses, which may have an expensive UV filter if I am in dusty or salt spray conditions, and on occasion I use a circular polarizing filter. T I normally do not use filters, especially on the digital lenses. The coatings on the lens is part of the process and the best result with a lens if there is no glass in front of it. Even glass which is 20 to 30 years old has no scratches. I use bulb blower, a special lens brush (always kept in a case) for stubborn areas, occasionally use lens cleaning solution and special cloths. So in this case, I do not remember ever wanting to use filters over binocular lenses.

I have never seen specific filters for the Fuji binocs, and I have read that normal 48 mm filters may not work. (I did measure the diameter of the filter and inside of the threads was slightly under 48 mm.) I do not have any 48 mm filters or lens caps.

Do you use UV filters on other binoculars?

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob's post is spot-on.

I have 48 mm UV filters, but the image is degraded when they are used, and they don't fit well.

No tripod attachment, but not needed, nor desirable.

They apparently offer a 12v adapter that fits where the battery compartment usually does, attaching to a 12v source, but I've never seen one.*

Would be useful if you scanned for hours every day, but most of us will never do this.

* I base this on the writing on the battery compartment, which says:

"Warning:

-Keep battery compartment locked to maintain water tight seal.

-Unlock only when changing batteries or power source. "

I do know the military version of these ("Stabiscope") operates off of a converter for use in military vehicles.

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
hardee

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, the tripod socket. Yes it would defeat the purpose of the Image Stabilization, however, that is only functional when turned on. There are times when that function could be bypassed such as some wildlife watching, or astronomical observing for instance. These are big and heavy binocs and for some users that could be a deterrent. For most use, I agree, and on the boat, a tripod would not be the way to go.

As to the filters. I understand the image degradation of poor optics. I have spent years using high grade photo optics, (Canon and Hassy as in Carl Zeiss) and in most cases have used high end polarizing filters for much of my work. The effect was the image enhancement I was looking for, and they were a stage of front element protection, that was less expensive than lens replacement. Bob, in answer to the filters on other binocs, No, but my other binocs didn't come in a Pelican case, or have these same attributes.

For the Fujinon 14x40 binocs, I am not photographing through them, but using them for observation, channel markers, boat ID, or wildlife viewing, and this would be in a saltwater environment. A reasonable UV filter would not be as much of an image degradation issue as much as it may be a lens preservative, saving from cleaning salt spray or salty mist from the highly coated front elements.

If the image is degraded to the point that the binocs don't do the job, I would say the filters are of a pretty lousy quality. It goes to the "you get what you pay for and you pay for what you get" theory.

Joe thanks ofpor the info on the t-mount and the filter fitting.

I pulled the trigger on the Fuji's and will wait until I have them in hand to see about a filter arrangement. OHOH, now I'm in trouble. I've been good all year, and now Santa says I get a lump of coal. Too bad, now I'll be able to see him before he sees me Laughing Xmas Naughty

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey-

Go on ya'! Enjoy the Christmas gift!

I don't know what exactly happens with the UV filters, but I did notice that there was a significant degrading of the image with them on.
Apparently, even though they may absorb most of the UV, they may somehow rearrange some of the rest of the spectrum to interfere with the workings of the coatings on the lenses.

As Yellowstone John pointed out a year or two ago in another thread in reference to binoculars, there have been great advances in binocular design and function in the past 20-30 years due to improvements in optical coatings.

I tested them by going out on a clear, dark, cold night and looking at a very faint star, with and without the filters, and the difference was very significant!

Incidentally, if you're ever buying a used pair of binoculars and want to see if their still in collimation, do exactly that.
Looking at terrestrial objects during the day, you can't see minor errors in collimation, but by looking at a very small, faint, pin-point object at night against a dark background, small problems become much more apparent.
(Problems with collimation are one of the biggest bugga-boo issues with buying used, and make it a risky business unless you can test them out first or have an iron-clad free return policy.)

Yes, around salt spray and heavy rain, putting up with the image degradation of the filters is well worth it!

Joe Teeth Thumbs Up
riversun45

City/Region: United States
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: Gypsy river
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Fugi 14 x 40 and they ARE great. Buy them!!
Jon
thataway

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey, I just don't seem to have a salt spray/mist problem in the C Dory. I don't use them in the dinghy--where there might be some issue. I use them at times in the open Caracal--which is a fairly dry boat for an 18 footer. Again, no salt spray issue. Perhaps the way I use them is important--I keep them in the case, until I need them--use, and put back in the case. I do keep my 8 x 30 Steiners out all of the time--and those are the "normal" day binoculars.

I have cheap West Marine binoculars for guests and grandkids. If they use the stabilized binoculars, then I am supervising. I consider the higher priced binoculars part of our navigation system, and give them the respect I give Radar, GPS etc. Joe's point is very important. I learned the lesson way back that if someone drops a pair of binoculars, you might as well throw them out. I once gave a set which had been abused to a hermit on Vivorillo Cay Key in the Western Caribbean. His reaction was as if I had given him a million dollars. Also gave him a 5th of rum (consumed in one evening), a lb of coffee and a transistor radio with a bunch of batteries so he could listen to VOA. (In return we got many lobster, several wonderful meals and a friend for life.)

If I want high magnification I go with the spotting scope, and tripod.

You will love the Fuji. I am sure that Harvey, Joe and many of the photographers know that Fuji makes many of the high end video lenses, and makes some very good optics.
hardee

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob, Good advice. I generally am solo on the boat, but on occasion do have guests, and it's good to keep in mind that they do not appreciate the investment in some of these devices. They would generally be used from in the cabin, through open windows, or from the cockpit, with neck strap on. Looking forward to seeing them, and through them.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Casey

City/Region: The Villages(FL)
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: "Dessert 1st"
Photos: Dessert 1st
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject: Serial num her location????? Reply with quote

Greetings-all, I haven’t been on in a LONG timd ... and this was the fourth summer with NO boating %^$#@. Sometimes LIFE get in the ‘way.

Things are going very well. There is a new person in my LIfe. She’s a golfer, not a boater, but otherwise, Great!. (She’s not in to truck camping either!)

But the reason for my msg ... this morning I was trying to find the serial number on my Fujinon Techno-Stabil bino’s, and it seems to be hidden (at least I can’t find it). Where is it?? Ideas??

I’m giving some (reasonable) thought to putting “Dessert 1st” on the ‘market next Spring or summer. Thoughts?

Best,
Casey(and Cheri)

hardee

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casey, WOW, you are right and Good to hear back from you again. All the best wishes in your future planning. And you should let Cheri know that there are places you can golf that you can't drive (as in a golf cart) to to play golf.

As to the current issue, the number you are looking for is on the underside, front, between the forward edge of the battery compartment, on that same flat, and there is a CE stamp towards the front and a "Made in Japan" printed stamp next to the stamped or engraved 6 digit number. It is not real easy to see or read the number. Hope yours is in the same place.

And as to whether I would recommend the Fuji, a big yes. I have used them for hours, mostly watching wildlife, but I do use them for navigation and identification purposes too. I never did get filters for them. Tried some moderate grade 48mm UV's (still thinking it is a good way for protection) but didn't like the way they fit. Didn't get to try Joe's star view with the filters, but the binocs are worth the $$$ and they do stay in the Pelican case when not around my neck.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

thataway

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow we all have been wondering where Casey was!!!

Welcome Cheri!

Bring her to Hontoon--maybe we can change her mind... How is YOUR golf game?

Serial number: Just below the battery case, (toward object lenses)--forward. is a small tag which says "Made in Japan"--then stamped on a plastic plate is the Serial number: Mine is six digits, starting with 110.

Take care.
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Casey - always a pleasure to hear from you. Life and life-styles change. As far as selling Dessert 1st... well, I don't have to tell you that you can always buy another boat. Wink You might mention to Cheri that golf clubs could be carried on a V23. Maybe an overnight to a nice B&B with a dock and a classy restaurant and a golf course nearby. Sometimes all it takes is a good introduction.

Good luck with the decisions.

Best wishes,
Jim & Joan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: