The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Battery charger and controler
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for information: Blue Seas suffered a catastrophic fire burning their headquarters and warehouse in Bellingham, nearly completely about Nov 12. As of 5 days ago the customer service lines were back up and running. It is not clear how much of their product was lost in the fire.

Blue Seas is owned by Power Products, now part of Brunswick; Along with Ancor,*BEP, Marinco,*Mastervolt, Progressive Industries, Czone, Del City, Lenco Marine, Park Power, and ProMariner. Seems like almost a monopoly on the 12 volt power game!

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dgeorges or anyone else using this charger:

10A BatteryLinkŪ Charger (North America) Mod #7605
https://www.bluesea.com/products/7605/10A_BatteryLink_Charger_%5BNorth_America%5D

I noticed it has a "insulation cover". Where are you mounting this charger? and does it need to be inside, out of the spray possibilities? My Guest is mounted under the Splash well, between the gas tanks, and I doubt it gets spary "much" but it certainly could. I suppose a Pelican box could be rigged to put it into, under there if it needs to stay dry.

Harvey
SleepyC

thataway

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
dgeorges or anyone else using this charger:

10A BatteryLinkŪ Charger (North America) Mod #7605
https://www.bluesea.com/products/7605/10A_BatteryLink_Charger_%5BNorth_America%5D

I noticed it has a "insulation cover". Where are you mounting this charger? and does it need to be inside, out of the spray possibilities? My Guest is mounted under the Splash well, between the gas tanks, and I doubt it gets spary "much" but it certainly could. I suppose a Pelican box could be rigged to put it into, under there if it needs to stay dry.

Harvey
SleepyC

I would be very reluctant to place this either in an exposed location or in a tightly closed box--such as a pelican case--because any battery charger needs good ventilation to dissipate the heat. This all in one certainly seems to "simplify" the installation of a charger and combiner. However when you are using the boat heavily--it is often better to use a higher powered battery charger--one which is designed with a fan to despite heat. When you are running a lot of lights, fans etc at the dock--it may be over the rated capacity of the smaller battery chargers, and potentially shorten their life spans. This charger (7605) does not specifically say it is "waterproof"--there is a larger 20 amp charger (7608) with higher rated capacity which is rated at IP 67 Waterproof and might be a better choice both from exposure and capacity standpoint.
hardee

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, thank you for that help. I did look at one of the 20 amp units, but it was 7# instead of the 4 pounds that the 10 amp one is. I also only have 2 batteries and no real need for more. The 20 amp had capability for 3 batteries I think. Over kill for my situation both power and weight wise.

I will go back and look at the 10 amps again. It is really only 3 pounds heavier. I would like to be able to mount it under that splash well again. For the Guest charger there were no switches or anything to mess with and the plug was in the lazurette so it was pretty much a no nonsense device.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

hardee

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The info on the Blue Seas 7605 and 7608 both show IP67 certification. That to me, sounds like it should be OK to mount outside under the splashwell under the down slopping surface, up of the cockpit sole and in between the tanks. BUT, the dimension drawing notes that it should be mounted vertically. for optimal performance.

Does it sound like it would have adequate "splash, spray and submersion" protection mounted there. (That is where my Guest charger is mounted, and would allow for using the same wire races.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

tomherrick

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a fan of Blue Sea Systems products. Their support staff have always been willing to take time with a novice like me to ensure I understand without showing their exasperation or need to get on to the next call. I hope they get back on both feet soon. I've also been very happy with Peter Kennedy Yacht Services out of Annapolis for good prices and good advice. He has a fair amount of educational info on his Web site as well.

https://shop.pkys.com/
thataway

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey the manual does say IP 67. So it is splash resistant. mounting Upside down--under the splash well--does not allow as good ventilation as a vertical mount. In your cooler weather up there, it should be OK...
Discovery

City/Region: LOA, UTAH
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Discovery
Photos: Discovery
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used the Pro Mariner chargers on 4 boats.

https://www.amazon.com/ProMariner-43021-ProSport-Generation-Battery/dp/B00FPQX47K/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1543455977&sr=8-3&keywords=promariner&th=1

Similar to this one. The current batteries are 10 years old and still going strong.

Brent and Dixie,
1984 22' Classic sold 2003
2003 24' TomCat sold 2005
2006 TC255 Discovery Sold 2020
2006 CD 22' Angler Sold 2014
https://share.delorme.com/FBrentBetenson
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms." ~ Thomas Jefferson
hardee

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, Thanks for the reply. It looks like the 7608 is what I should put in. I thought I saw that it has a integrated 170A Automatic Charging Relay (ACR).

I have 2 Group 29 Interstate deep cycle batteries and they are routinely plugged into BatteryMinder charger maintainers. The Interstates are now 5 years old and are still testing like new.

I am looking at replacing the on board charger due to it's age. I have not had any issues with it, but it is rarely used (like only some of the times I go into a marina for more than one night at a time.)

Not sure I understand a couple of things ( Oh yea and a few dozen more probably Rolling Eyes
1. Is that to equalize the batteries if they are not at equal discharge states when the charging starts?
2. Do I need to add a galvanic isolator into the system? I do not have a shore power system, and my current battery charger (Guest #2610W 10amp) plugs into an extension cord when the boat is in the garage.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

hardee

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
Bob, Thanks for the reply. It looks like the 7608 is what I should put in. I thought I saw that it has a integrated 170A Automatic Charging Relay (ACR).

I have 2 Group 29 Interstate deep cycle batteries and they are routinely plugged into BatteryMinder charger maintainers. The Interstates are now 5 years old and are still testing like new.

I am looking at replacing the on board charger due to it's age. I have not had any issues with it, but it is rarely used (like only some of the times I go into a marina for more than one night at a time.)

Not sure I understand a couple of things ( Oh yea and a few dozen more probably Rolling Eyes
1. (I thought I saw that it has an integrated 170A Automatic Charging Relay (ACR)), Is that to equalize the batteries if they are not at equal discharge states when the charging starts?
2. Do I need to add a galvanic isolator into the system? I do not have a shore power system, and my current battery charger (Guest #2610W 10amp) plugs into an extension cord when the boat is in the garage.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

hardee

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just spoke with Blue Seas and they have just secured a new location, just near their previous one, and are moving forward with expectation to have production going in time to have new products available in March 2019.

BTW, the new 20A BatteryLinkŪ Charger (North America), part #7608 sounds like a perfect fit for me, (Thank you Bob) and they see no reason not to mount it under the splash well like my previous "Guest 10" charger.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Guest charger bit the dust about a year and half ago. I replaced it with a ProNautica 1215P. Mine is mounted under the cabinet in the cabin (sink side) where the original charge was.
dgeorges

City/Region: Highlands Ranch
State or Province: CO
Vessel Name: FRESH FISH
Photos: FRESH FISH
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent dialogue and suggestions.

I've been running Blue Sea products since putting together the batteries/charging system on my CD 16 in 2013 and the system has worked flawlessly for five years. I installed this:
https://www.bluesea.com/products/7650/Add-A-Battery_Kit_-_120A This ACR monitors my two batteries and charges the battery with the most need.

I'm now setting up a more advanced system for my CD 22 Cruiser: https://www.bluesea.com/products/7655/Mini_Add-A-Battery_Plus_Kit_-_65A_%5BNorth_America%5D This system is currently in place, and is performing perfectly while in dry dock as I work on the improvements. The ACR charges the batteries and monitors them as well, sending a charge to the battery with the most need. My ampere.volt meter tells me that the ACR is doing it's job in dry dock. I'll be putting it to good use as soon as some warmer weather allows.

CD 22 Cruiser "FRESH FISH: 2018 to present.
CD 16 Angler "OPA": 2013 to 2019.
dgeorges

City/Region: Highlands Ranch
State or Province: CO
Vessel Name: FRESH FISH
Photos: FRESH FISH
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HARDEE:

Give me a call if you want to talk installation etc of the blue sea stuff I wrote about. 217.720.8927 cell
hardee

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dgeorges wrote:
HARDEE:

Give me a call if you want to talk installation etc of the blue sea stuff I wrote about. 217.720.8927 cell

Thank you. Will do.

Just working on the Fell Marine MOB+ now.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: