The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Fuel selector switch question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rock knocker

City/Region: Georgetown
State or Province: CA
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:39 pm    Post subject: Fuel selector switch question Reply with quote

I apologize but this is my first 22ft and trying to learn small things about them. My question is on my fuel selector switch i have a off, gas, port and starboard setting. Is the big part of the handle what to look at or the smaller end that looks like a little pointer. Also how do i run off both tanks at once? Thanks in advance.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:27 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel selector switch question Reply with quote

rock knocker wrote:
I apologize but this is my first 22ft and trying to learn small things about them. My question is on my fuel selector switch i have a off, gas, port and starboard setting. Is the big part of the handle what to look at or the smaller end that looks like a little pointer. Also how do i run off both tanks at once? Thanks in advance.

The little pointer indicates the selection. There is no setting for both tanks. You can only run off one tank at a time (on my boat anyway).

For our use, depending on what our cruising plan is, we often only put gas in the port tank. On my boat, both batteries, the main cabinet, the helm, and the driver are all on the starboard side. Putting all the gas in the port tank helps balance the boat. On longer trips where we use both tanks, we feed from the starboard side first until it is empty.

You can replace the fuel valve with one the has a Both selection if you really want, but you need to be sure your motor has enough suction to pull from two tanks at once. Probably more trouble than it is worth IMO.
rock knocker

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am running twin yamaha 40s.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
but you need to be sure your motor has enough suction to pull from two tanks at once.

This should not be a problem.

Rockknocker is the goal to run each motor off its own tank--or run both motors off both tanks? It will make a difference in the plumbing modifications you make.

To my knowledge the standard valves allow only selection from each tank. I agree that it is desirable to run one tank down and then the other. Also this can be a safety feature--knowing that you have XX gallons of fuel remaining--after one tank is empty.

There are several ways to combine the tanks --with a simple 3 way "T"--before the valve.- Then replace the valve with an "on" / "off" valve. Or you could get more complicated and put in a fuel manifold which will allow both tanks, one tank at a time or off. I cannot envision modification of the existing valve--by drilling a hole in the valve body, which would allow both tanks in the second "off" .position...

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
chimoii

State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: Chimo
Photos: Chimo
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rock knocker wrote:
I am running twin yamaha 40s.

Thanks for giving me a smile this morning Smile

Before owning the 23 Venture with twin Yamaha 60s I'd owned a couple of other boats with twins, including one with a pair of gasoline V8's. On all those boats the choice had been to run port/starboard/both with the tanks. Generally I ran in the both position so as to maintain lateral balance with the boat. The fuel tanks were, of course, much bigger than on the Venture.

Every time I filled up I would think again about changing the valve on the Venture to allow me to run off both. [Note that the batteries are basically on the centreline so that's not an issue.] Instead I continued to monitor fuel flow to both motors and switch tanks periodically. Each year when I serviced the motors there was this item on the checklist to change the valve but I would always put it off until "tomorrow". After 6 years I sold the boat with a tear in my eye and the valve in original condition. My suggestion would be to simply keep procrastinating.

rock knocker

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the input. Very helpful. Answers my questions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: