Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby, I concur with Bob. When we originally explored Atlin Lake in a 12.5 foot RIB with an 18 hp 4 stroke Nissan motor in 2001, I couldn’t find anywhere to purchase water charts of Atlin Lake, but did purchase land maps & had a very early model Garmin gps, that gave an approximate latitude & longitude with a track on a blank screen & also the speed & distance traveled. When we returned to Atlin Lake & also explored Tagish & Teslin Lakes in our C-Dory in 2003, we had maps of the lakes on a notebook computer & used Nobletech marine software with a gps input. Those charts were topo maps like Bob said & had fairly good detail of the lake shore, but not of water hazards. I now have Canada lakes on Garmin with detail similar to The link Bob provided. The detail data is very poor in these remote lakes with only just general depths contour & really only semi good for maybe fishing, not obstacle avoidance. My present Navionics & Garmin marine maps on the IPad doesn’t even show the lakes in a close view. So unless someone that I don’t know about has come up with better Lake data, you’ll have to do similar to what Bob said & we have done & that’s a good visual outlook. It’s a Glacier Lake & for the most part deep enough for a boat even close to shore & the areas that are not, easy to tell by the water color. Of the many uncharted lakes we have explored on a power boat, Atlin Lake is one of the easiest to stay out of trouble from underwater obstacles. We have spent enough time on uncharted water bodies that not having charts is not a deterrent, though sure nice to have, when available. In my opinion Atlin Lake is well worth exploring without charts.

Bob, when you cruised Atlin Lake did you tow a boat there, rent or take a tour. Not surprised with all the places you’ve been that Atlin is one of them.

Jay

colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob & Jay. Bob, that link was great. I just saved it to my computer, so can also access it off line. (I think...) Colby
Hunkydory

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter & Judy wrote:
I am working on a write up and adding more photos for this forum about our week on Atlin, hopefully in the near future. I also have the local reef maps and photos that I will post. My wife and I have travelled to many beautiful and wild places in the world and this is in our top ten.

We loved seeing the photos you just posted of your Atlin Lake cruise & hoping you do post a narrative of the trip too. We saw the biggest bear tracks we’ve ever seen, while hiking up the glacier valley to the Llewelyn Glacier you photographed. The grizzly in the one photo appears close to you. Where was that photo taken? Sure looking forward to your narrative of trip. The reef maps would be good for Colby & I would like to see them too.

Jay
Peter & Judy

City/Region: Olds
State or Province: AB
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Mistaya
Photos: Mistaya
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just posted my trip report for Atlin Lake and 2 photo albums. The first is the general photos of the trip and the second album are the reef maps and aerial photos made and used by the locals. These were very valuable. Atlin is a very deep lake, 1000 feet in places, but there are many reefs, especially around the inlets and islands. We were in places travelling in as little as 3 feet of water. Atlin was very low in June 2017, as there had been a lack of snow the previous winter. On the same trip we also tried to launch on Teslin Lake, Yukon, but the boat ramp there is very shallow and with the low water levels we were unable to float our C-Dory.

For charts I used the Canadian Topographic Map 104N - Atlin 1:250,000 scale and I also downloaded topo maps on my iPad using the Gaia GPS App. This and the local aerial photos and maps that I had loaded on the iPad were very useful. The RCMP office in Atlin also provided us with color photocopies of the maps. Check in and out with the local Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) to file a trip plan and they will come toking for you if you are overdue.

I have recently discovered that there are marine charts available for Atlin on an iPad App called Aqua Maps. The Yukon Maps show Atlin, but I am not sure if there is much on the reefs. I have not used this App.

http://www.globalaquamaps.com/AquaLakes.html#Yukon

I have not captioned the photos in my Atlin Album yet, but I will do so once I find a little more time.

HMCB Mistaya
"Mistaya" (Grizzly Bear in Cree)
HMCB (Her Majesties Cute Boat)
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Bob, when you cruised Atlin Lake did you tow a boat there, rent or take a tour. Not surprised with all the places you’ve been that Atlin is one of them.

Jay, We had an inflatable about 10 1/2 feet long with a 9.9 hp outboard when we boated on Atlin (and lot of lakes/rivers in the Yukon and AK)--on an about 6 month trip with an RV. Easy to carry camping gear in the inflatable in waterproof bags.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Hunkydory

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
Quote:

Jay, We had an inflatable about 10 1/2 feet long with a 9.9 hp outboard when we boated on Atlin (and lot of lakes/rivers in the Yukon and AK)--on an about 6 month trip with an RV. Easy to carry camping gear in the inflatable in waterproof bags.

Thanks Bob. That’s basically the same thing we did & had a wonderful time doing it. Although we towed the RIB inflated with motor & all equipment loaded for easy launching on a aluminum trailer. We used it in Alaska & the Yukon & Northwest Territory’s in 2001 & 2002.

Jay
colbysmith

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update. As of now, my plans have changed, and I will be cruising north in the south part of the Inside Passage after the Friday Harbor gathering in May. However, I'm still intent on doing the SE Alaska part of the Inside Passage summer 2019. Preferably I'd like to launch at Skagway and go south from there and return, taking 4 or 5 weeks. But if others are interested and desire to launch from Prince Rupert, I'd be agreeable to that.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some more thoughts and questions. First, on my recent trip to the St. John’s River gathering doing a lot of hull speed cruising I figured out I got about 4.5 mpg, so at 40 usable gallons I think that should suffice. (Plus carrying 10 extra gallons!)
Talking with another person they asked about oil changes on the outboard. Since I was only looking at 2 months I never thought about that. Any comments or suggestions from others regarding this?
thataway

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that at displacement speeds (especially if you stay down at 6 knots or less--there is no problem with the standard fuel tank and 10 gallons. If you go down to 5 miles per hour, then you will most likely get 6 miles per gallon

Also if doing the inland passage at displacement speeds, look very carefully at your tide and current charts. Choose to move with the current going your direction. However one of the beauties of the fast outboard boats is that you do have the speed to do several passes a day, rather than time your movements for one. Thus you can use the range, and currents to your advantage when necessary, and then go fast when you want to make tracks.

As for the oil:
1. oil change as per amount of fuel used, rather than arbitrary hours (which are assumed to be at high speeds and loads). You can easily go 200 hours.

2. Synthetic oil--again will lengthen intervals.

3. oil change on the boat, using a vacuum extractor. Pat Anderson learned to do this--and only pulled the boat for lower unit changes.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As for the oil:
1. oil change as per amount of fuel used, rather than arbitrary hours (which are assumed to be at high speeds and loads). You can easily go 200 hours.
2. Synthetic oil--again will lengthen intervals.
3. oil change on the boat, using a vacuum extractor. Pat Anderson learned to do this--and only pulled the boat for lower unit changes.

I run Mercury Synthetic Blend 25W-40 4-stroke outboard oil in my motor. Completely forgot about the oil change extractors. I prefer draining all the oil out when I do my maintenance on the trailer, but the extractor makes perfect sense for on the water. Anyway, what fuel-used oil change recommendations would be for the Mercury 115 4 stroke EFI? Routinely I change my oil annually at the end of the year, and that could be anywhere from 100 hours to 200 hours of use. I'm assuming I shouldn't worry about a lower unit oil change as long as nothing is leaking. (But really have no way to know without trimming the outboard all the way up. Colby
thataway

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are basically running the engine under ideal conditions. Running daily, getting the temperature up, and not putting it under heavy load. I would not be at all adverse to going 200 hours between changes, with the synthetic if you are keeping mostly to the displacement speeds. If you had do, and were always staying to the displacement speed, maybe more. But with an extractor, changing the oil is not hard. Lots of oil adsorb pads to soak up the oil spill from the filter probably every other change--again assuming the lower speeds.

There are plenty of oil disposal sights at almost every marina (fishermen change their oil regularly.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as this year's end is now in closer sight, it's time to reopen this thread and start thinking about my summer's boating plans. I'm still looking at the north part of the Inside Passage, perhaps as early as May. In fact, thinking maybe May and June. I'm still favoring launching in Skagway, but am open to Prince Rupert. Just wondering if anyone else is interested in joining in on all or part of a cruise on the Alaska side of the Inside Passage. Or if anyone else is making plans to do such a cruise? I could probably even do this later into the summer, but would not plan to go more than two months, as for now the wife would not be joining me. While I tried to do quite a bit of planning this past summer in seeing Friday Harbor, the Gulf Islands, Desolation Sound and The Broughtons, I learned that I may be better off just figuring out where to launch from, then taking it day by day from there. Yes, I do have some favorite spots picked out that I'd like to visit, but knowing weather can always play a factor, think I'm going to take a much more relaxed style of planning this time around. Colby
DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Colby. Thanks for the invite. We met you and your wife last year at the Friday Harbor Brats get together along with so many other nice Brats people. We would be interested in about a two week trip with you up north in the passage. We have a small farm and cannot be away too long from the property but let's see how far we can get with you in our travel together in this time frame! One of our daughters is graduating from College next spring and we promised her a Sailing Charter trip probably in May but hopefully it can work for a trip with you.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll keep information posted here as I figure out what I'm doing. First plan of attack will be to decide which end I want to launch at. So, looking for recommendations on where folks have launched and parked their rigs either at Skagway or Prince Rupert. Colby
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby, I would love to do that trip with you, some or all, because SE has been a goal since I got my boat. I am looking at some schedule issues now, and though family things are always a concern, some of them have freed up some time. I will be watching and if it can work I will be letting you know.

I would probably look at a Prince Rupert launch as preferable, but at this point nothing is fixed in concrete.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10

Jump to: