The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

2003 Wiper Connection on outside window

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CDory23

State or Province: CA
Photos: CDory23
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject: 2003 Wiper Connection on outside window Reply with quote

My last trip out my manual windshield wiper popped off, luckily I was able to grab it before it went overboard. This is only the outside piece, nothing else on the wiper assembly was affected. I didn't have time to take a close look at it, but it just popped right back on to a splined knob on the outside. I can't get back to my boat until Sunday morning when I"m supposed to head straight out to fishing so I was hoping somebody could chime in and let me know what keeps that assembly together. I don't see why It wouldn't just pop right off again and what keeps the pressure on the wiper close the window besides friction and physically pushing the wiper arm back to the splined knob. Maybe I"m not seeing a split ring or something?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks
tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: 2003 Wiper Connection on outside window Reply with quote

CDory23 wrote:
My last trip out my manual windshield wiper popped off, luckily I was able to grab it before it went overboard. This is only the outside piece, nothing else on the wiper assembly was affected. I didn't have time to take a close look at it, but it just popped right back on to a splined knob on the outside. I can't get back to my boat until Sunday morning when I"m supposed to head straight out to fishing so I was hoping somebody could chime in and let me know what keeps that assembly together. I don't see why It wouldn't just pop right off again and what keeps the pressure on the wiper close the window besides friction and physically pushing the wiper arm back to the splined knob. Maybe I"m not seeing a split ring or something?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Some have an allen head set screw. If not drill & tap for a set screw? Throw it away & get a new one? Hope it don't rain?
Wink
CDory23

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response. I think you are right is it an Allen head set screw. Hopefully the screw is still in it and it will be an easy fix! Sorry to ask such a simple question, one downfall to having the boat berthed and not at the house is the ease of fixing issues from going out and maintenance.

I'm not worried about rain, I usually always get some salt splashing over even in mild ocean conditions that makes it difficult to see. I think I may give Rain X a try though as well.
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the CD-23 uses the same wiper assembly as the CD-25, there are two allen set screws, as I recall. And even with those set screws loosened, and trying a battery terminal puller, I could not get the assembly to separate from the shaft on the motor... over the years, I had two motors crap out and I had to cut the shaft on each to remove the arm assembly. (dissimilar metals)
CDory23

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Screen name always leaves confusion. I'm on a 2003 22 Cruiser. I should change my name at some point.

I have the standard manual wipers currently. I did a complete overhaul on them about a year ago, and just forgot how the wiper assembly secured.

Thanks.
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some older style auto wipers had a small spring steel clip that snapped over the shaft once below the splined portion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: