The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Question about splash well designs on C-dorys.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike_b

City/Region: Rogue Valley
State or Province: OR
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=24513

I was looking around the website and came across this 23’ Cape Cruiser forum member trc_pnw was selling a few years ago. According to the ad this boat had a fish box built into the splash well area. Was this a factory or custom fish box?
PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a custom fish box that he had made for the boat. It was top quality and had two doors. Helped put a number of fish in that box and it worked well but was not very large.

I considered having a similar box built for our 22, but in the end couldn't justify the cost. The 22 would allow for a larger box to be built then the 23 does, but at near a grand to have a custom box built, its a big commitment.

We use a Katchkooler fish bag, and it fits perfect in the motor well with a bag of ice in it. My only complaint is its not water tight, so it will drip blood everywhere. Still its a good alternative for when you don't want to carry a cooler. Or when my cooler is full of food and the wife doesn't want the food to smell like fish. The fish bag was the best $40 I ever spent at a sporting goods store.

Mike_b

City/Region: Rogue Valley
State or Province: OR
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CDory23 wrote:
I use a fish bag in the back of my boat. I don't have an image of mine but it is very similar if not the same to the picture in the post by "flapbreaker." I might have even gotten the idea from this post.

http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=9350&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=&sid=c252bacf143f10b9fa81d53805e577cd

I've been very happy with the bag. It recently held 3 limits of rockfish and lingcod. Over 160lbs of fish. Also, the bag is portable unlike a fish box so if you ever berth your boat as I do currently its easy to transport the catch. Ive also had 5 limits of crab, 3 limits of salmon with extra space available.

How do the crab do being mixed in with fish in your bag? Do you have any problems with Broken crab legs or dead crab? On my current boat I keep crab in a live tank, and fish in a cooler. I’m not familiar with any other storage methods. Thanks
PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I admit I've never attempted to put crab in the fish bag. The material is soft plastic and wouldn't hold up to crab. We pack a real cooler in the cockpit when going after crab.
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul. take a look at the fish box in my 22 that I posted. You could build it your self for a $100 bucks. It doubles as a seat and as a step out the back of the boat. It would work great where you are boat camping now and tying up to the beach in shallow water.
smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I keep crab in a live tank, and fish in a cooler. I’m not familiar with any other storage methods.

I do it very simply. I put them in a 5 gallon plastic bucket (crabs upside down if possible), and then lay a heavy towel soaked in sea water over them.

I hardly ever have problems with fights or broken legs. The crabs will stay alive for 3 to 6 hours depending on air temp. That's enough time for me to get them home and into the crab pot. (Definitely do not put them under sea water in a 5 gallon sized bucket -- still water, no aeration. They suffocate rapidly once the water is depleted of oxygen.)

P.S. If I need more time, I just clean them on the boat, and then put the uncooked halves in a small bucket under ice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: