View previous topic :: View next topic  
louxwe

City/Region: Niceville
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Falcon
Photos: C-Falcon
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:31 pm    Post subject: Just bought my C-Dory... now officially a C-Brat Reply with quote

So I just bought a beautiful 2006 22 Cruiser and got her stored in a slip at the marina just a couple hundred yards from my house. Took her out once but a lot to learn.

I just discovered that the rub rails are pulled out about 1/2 inch on both sides, does anyone know what the best method to repair this would be? Also, I keep seem to be getting a leak into the main cabin, but only when it rains. I find no evidence of leaks anywhere and suspect that it is leaking in from the the bilge box area by the door, been getting a lot of rain here so every time I check I have about a 1/2 inch water in the cabin, hoping this is an easy fix.

Also, I have a Standard Horizon chart plotter that has all the maps loaded into it, but is there anyway to load up waypoints and routes from my computer into this. I have tons of fishing, diving, etc. waypoints on other software and also have routing software that will automatically plot the shortest/safest route and would like to plan a route on my computer and upload that to the chartplotter but can't seem to figure out how it works.

Looking forward to getting out and exploring and considering changing the name to C-Falcon. Where does everyone order the name stickers... how do you order them so they look like the C-dory sticker, same font and all?

Excited to be a part of the community.
Bill

[/img]https://www.flickr.com/photos/58236519@N00/?
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check sealing of the bottom of the aft cabin wall to the hull for leaks. You can get water ingress from the cockpit to the cabin. The way the hull is shaped and the way the boat often sits when parked causes the lowest point where the water collects to be about where the aft bulkhead sits (why there is a pump there). Leaks in this area have happened on other boats.

For lettering try https://doityourselflettering.com/
JMacLeod

City/Region: Stuart
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: C-Shalom
Photos: JMacLeod
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Bill.
There's a ton of 22 owners here with decades of experience and knowledge to share.
You're in the right place.

We're new Tomcat owners, so not much help on your 22, but I did just finish our vinyl lettering.
I used customvinyllettering.net and was happy with the results.

The "C-Shalom" on our boat in our album is about 6" high and 40" long, using the Georgia font.
It was about $5o for just the two large names with the marine vinyl upgrade and "C-Falcon" would be the same length, or smaller.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill, Welcome to the fold. This site is just plain FULL of info about C-Dorys, and since the most common one is the 22 Cruiser, You will find tons of really good, helpful info here. It might be a good time to fill in your profile a bit. That info is helpful for us to help you.

There are lot's of places to order the vinyl lettering. You can start with BoatUS web site. They have a huge list of names and lots of help. Here is a link to there home page:

https://www.boatus.com/

and this on is directly to their graphics section:

https://www.boatus.com/boatgraphics/Default.asp

Some things to consider:
1. Make your boat name something that you can repeat 3 times, clearly over the VHF. (It will make more sense to the rest of the world then.)
2. Use an easy to read font.
3. Sharp pointy ends on letters are the first place the vinyl will start to degrade and curl.
4. Your font should be readable from a distance.
5. The more individual the name, the less likely that there will be some confusion on the VHF at some time. (In one marina one day, I counted 6 boats all named "Pelican".)

In my photo album, I have a sub album "Naming Our C-Dory" that shows the removal of the old name, and the application of the new name. It is in this link:

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album598&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Sorry, I can't remember how to make that a short link.

Hope that helps in your progress.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought my C-Dory... now officially a C-Brat Reply with quote

louxwe wrote:

I just discovered that the rub rails are pulled out about 1/2 inch on both sides, does anyone know what the best method to repair this would be? Also, I keep seem to be getting a leak into the main cabin, but only when it rains. I find no evidence of leaks anywhere and suspect that it is leaking in from the the bilge box area by the door, been getting a lot of rain here so every time I check I have about a 1/2 inch water in the cabin, hoping this is an easy fix.

Also, I have a Standard Horizon chart plotter that has all the maps loaded into it, but is there anyway to load up waypoints and routes from my computer into this. I have tons of fishing, diving, etc. waypoints on other software and also have routing software that will automatically plot the shortest/safest route and would like to plan a route on my computer and upload that to the chartplotter but can't seem to figure out how it works.

Looking forward to getting out and exploring and considering changing the name to C-Falcon. Where does everyone order the name stickers... how do you order them so they look like the C-dory sticker, same font and all?

Excited to be a part of the community.
Bill

Welcome aboard Bill:

I hate to say this, but I just threw out a C map card reader and cards for the early Standard Horizon 150, 180 and 300...You can download the manuals for any of the Standard Horizon chart plotters--and from the manual it is possible that you will see a way to transfer waypoints--I haven't had a SH plotter in about 14 years.

What file format are your waypoints and routes in?

My 2006 had a bilge pump in the box under the step just inside of the aft bulkhead. Is this box sealed completely to the floor? Next--does your boat have any cockpit floor (other than the inside of the hull?). It may have re-movable or fixed floor which is level. If you can get to the hull to aft bulkhead joint in the cockpit, inspect this carefully for any failure of the tabbing (fiberglass strips holding the bulkhead to the bottom of the boat. This may have to be re-done. Other sources include anchor locker--many did not have it isolated from the V berth area. I had to drill a hole and put a floor in which drained to the outside.

Is the aluminum extrusion pulled out, or just the rubber? If just the rubber that is easy to repair. You have to heat the vinyl strip to make it more flexible or do it on a warm day (probably not many this time of the year up there !). You can use a couple of screwdrivers or putty knife and screwdriver to work the edge of the vinyl back under the lip of the extrusion--it should work forward and aft from that point. My have to use a rubber mallet to persuade a little.

If the extrusion is out--then you will have to remove the pop rivets, and re-attatch with SS bolts--a bit more of a job.

We have always used a local graphics shop for the lettering. That way if you and specifics you can see a sample--and know that it will be right--especially if any graphics are used. We use block letters which are easily seen. Knowing a boat's name is a safety feature.

I looked at your photos. Great craftsmanship! The sailing dinghy looks like a Penguin--What is it? Beautiful work!

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you use something like Armour All (or even soapy water), it makes it easier to push the rubber strip back into the extruded aluminum strip. Use something that cleans up easily. The rubber is sturdy and can't really be hurt by anything that isn't sharp. The aluminum is the part that can be gouged.

I found that rubber hanging out is an indication that it is time to buy more or better fenders!

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
louxwe

City/Region: Niceville
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: C-Falcon
Photos: C-Falcon
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:37 am    Post subject: Re: Just bought my C-Dory... now officially a C-Brat Reply with quote

Hi Bob, looks like we are not too far away I am over in Niceville. I am new to these chart plotters so not sure how this one is supposed to work, it is a CP390i model but the manual is really not very helpful, just says you can use a C-Card, not what they are where to buy them how to use them. Basically, I just want to take all of the points(reefs, fishing, diving) that I have and port them from my computer to my plotter so I don't have to hand punch in all of them. Also, would like the ability to do route planning ahead of time on my computer and then load that route into the chart plotter. I've been using Navionics on my computer to route plan, pretty nice it can auto plan a most direct route, fuel usage, etc. I have the points in various software (google earth, cal topo, etc. and I have software that can re-format and export to any standard gps data file). Just not sure how the cards and readers work and can't seem to find any info/for sale online.

Had a bunch of rain after my attempt at fixing the bilge and I think I solved the problem, the bilge box has a drain plug with a small pvc pipe and cap that goes back to the inside cabin. I guess you would just unscrew that plug if the cabin got flooded to allow cabin water back into the bilge. Not sure when you would ever use that, if it's just a little water it was easier just to scoop it out, if it was much more water it would just flow over the bilge box into the bilge. That little pvc tube was leaking I think where it connected with the bilge box, just plugged it up with some silicone, had tons of rain the past few days and no leaks inside so it looks like that fixed it.

The rub rail is not the rubber its the actual aluminum rails that have broken or pulled out. I read somewhere that this was a factory default or something and that they came back and fixed a bunch of them. Just not sure what the standard acceptable fix for this is or how much work it is, seems like getting into reach all of them might be a real pain.

I just ordered some new lettering tonight so "C-Falcon" will have some nice decals soon.

The boat in my Flickr is "Billy Goat", it is a Goat Island Skiff. I ordered the plans and basically built her to plans, designed by a man named Mike Storer. Actually trying to sell her right now that I got a new C-dory to play with, so let me know if you know anyone interested in a sailing boat. It is 16 ft long and I also have a battery and trolling motor for use without sails.

Thanks for all the help and really very excited to be part of the community here, lots of info and plenty of mods to work on. Let me know if you get over my way anytime soon.

Bill

Welcome aboard Bill:

I hate to say this, but I just threw out a C map card reader and cards for the early Standard Horizon 150, 180 and 300...You can download the manuals for any of the Standard Horizon chart plotters--and from the manual it is possible that you will see a way to transfer waypoints--I haven't had a SH plotter in about 14 years.

What file format are your waypoints and routes in?

My 2006 had a bilge pump in the box under the step just inside of the aft bulkhead. Is this box sealed completely to the floor? Next--does your boat have any cockpit floor (other than the inside of the hull?). It may have re-movable or fixed floor which is level. If you can get to the hull to aft bulkhead joint in the cockpit, inspect this carefully for any failure of the tabbing (fiberglass strips holding the bulkhead to the bottom of the boat. This may have to be re-done. Other sources include anchor locker--many did not have it isolated from the V berth area. I had to drill a hole and put a floor in which drained to the outside.

Is the aluminum extrusion pulled out, or just the rubber? If just the rubber that is easy to repair. You have to heat the vinyl strip to make it more flexible or do it on a warm day (probably not many this time of the year up there !). You can use a couple of screwdrivers or putty knife and screwdriver to work the edge of the vinyl back under the lip of the extrusion--it should work forward and aft from that point. My have to use a rubber mallet to persuade a little.

If the extrusion is out--then you will have to remove the pop rivets, and re-attatch with SS bolts--a bit more of a job.

We have always used a local graphics shop for the lettering. That way if you and specifics you can see a sample--and know that it will be right--especially if any graphics are used. We use block letters which are easily seen. Knowing a boat's name is a safety feature.

I looked at your photos. Great craftsmanship! The sailing dinghy looks like a Penguin--What is it? Beautiful work![/quote]
Quote:
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill
You need go and buy a lottery ticket--this is your lucky day....Go to Page 89/90 of your manual for the 390i. (can be downloaded if you do not have it That describes the use of the cards. It should transfer files under GPX protocol. There is little about the Standard Horizon, but Furuno, and RayMarine also used C map and so there is a lot of information for them on the internet. Just google "transferring waypoints via C Map card"..

Now why it is your lucky day---I decided to do some further searching for that reader and card....I found it-- it is now yours. I found a USB two slot C Card reader, the manual, PC planner NT CD or dvd, and one genuine C Map card of 1 meg memory ear 2003--but it should work.

I'll send you a PM. My price for the whole lot is a donation to C Brats.
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations - you have a fine boat and good water to cruise. Good luck. El and Bill
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: