The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

1990 C-Dory Angler Craigslist ad $3500

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bob-kir

City/Region: Kalamazoo
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject: 1990 C-Dory Angler Craigslist ad $3500 Reply with quote

Just ran across this ad in the Cleveland Craigslist for a 1990 Angler with trailer and 70hp outboard for $3500. Ad says it's been sitting outside for at least 10 years. There are a few pictures and it looks like a project.
Bob
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1990 C-Dory Angler Craigslist ad $3500 Reply with quote

bob-kir wrote:
Just ran across this ad in the Cleveland Craigslist for a 1990 Angler with trailer and 70hp outboard for $3500. Ad says it's been sitting outside for at least 10 years. There are a few pictures and it looks like a project.
Bob

Link?
Discovery

City/Region: LOA, UTAH
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Discovery
Photos: Discovery
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://cleveland.craigslist.org/boa/d/dory-for-sale-22ft/6735565765.html

Wish it was closer, project.

Someone was looking for an Angler.

Brent and Dixie,
1984 22' Classic sold 2003
2003 24' TomCat sold 2005
2006 TC255 Discovery Sold 2020
2006 CD 22' Angler Sold 2014
https://share.delorme.com/FBrentBetenson
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms." ~ Thomas Jefferson
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My concern would be out in the weather for 14 winters--with snow and ice--freeze and thaw cycles. If any water got into the core--could need re-do. But that is doable. A bargain for some one who what's to do a restoration.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Capn Jack

City/Region: La Conner
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1988
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Pocket Yacht
Photos: Pocket Yacht
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that Johnson is a two cycle, there can't be too much wrong with it. Wink

My 1988 had spent most of it's life outside and the biggest problem I found was mold. Teeth
boatgerl

City/Region: Fremont OH
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 1990
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:20 am    Post subject: Cleveland Craiglist 22 Reply with quote

Hey guys, WE BOUGHT IT!

Hauled it back to Port Clinton, Ohio....it's full of mildew and the aft bulkhead and cabin door need replaced...all rotted...

Lots to do!
tomherrick

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good find. I agree - lots to do. As Thataway mentioned, it's not unlikely that there are core issues. My 2¢: borrow, rent, or buy a pinless moisture meter and check all cored surfaces for changes in the meter readings. There's some pretty good info on the Web on how to use them in this application, as well as their limitations. It was, for me, a real eye-opener on the situation with my transom and hull.

All the best to you with your project. I hope you keep us posted with your findings and progress.

P.S. In addition to the C-Dory specific help one can find on this site, a guy I follow who has been a big help to me is Andy Miller at Boatworks Today; more generic boat restoration info. You can find his posts on Youtube and on his Patreon site.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard, and congratulations on buying the boat! All things are repairable--including old 2 stroke motors

Agree--you want to know relative dampness of the core, and the Ryobi moisture meter will do that quite well. Also learn to 'sound out" The core--using either a small phenolic hammer or. plastic handle of a screw driver. Tap ever inch to get comparison. Look for places where holes were trilled for screws--most likely the buttons and straps which hold the fuel tanks in place.

Most likely that motor will run with some TLC.

Great find. You will find lots of joy in that boat!
tomherrick

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boatgerl,

Between my wife’s sailboat and my vintage C-Dory, we’ve gotten fairly familiar with how to use moisture-meters to assess the condition of cored fiberglass. That said, we're not hot-shots; we've just been around the block a time or two... Dr. Bob (aka, thataway) has just a little bit more experience with boats and boating than I do. I agree with him, that tapping a hull is an important skill/method to learn to assess the condition of your boat’s fiberglass cores. Another 2¢ of mine is that I’d go over all cored areas of the boat with the pinless moisture meter, marking the location of notable changes in the readings (say, 10%, 20%, 30%) with a grease pencil - basically making contour lines of those variances. Then, I’d get out the hammer of your choice to double-check and refine the characterization of those readings. Lots of info on the web on that as well.

I don’t know that I’ve written the moisture meter approach very well. If you’re interested in chatting about how-to, PM me and the wife and I will be happy to help out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: