HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

C - Dory 22 Center Console

View previous topic :: View next topic  
taggteam

City/Region: Franklinville
State or Province: NJ
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Center Console
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:15 pm    Post subject: C - Dory 22 Center Console Reply with quote

Any info on these? I know there aren't many around...dare I say "rare"?
Found one locally, and have some serious interest in it, but can't for the life of me find another owner out there to discuss performance....handling....good or bad. Looks like it may be a super wet ride.

I'll say up front that the flattening out of the hull so far forward seems like she'll pound in any kind of sea. I do not think I'll have an opportunity to sea trial it...so I'll be buying this one blind if all works out right.

I'm looking for something to hit the 8-10 mile away inshore reefs, but still have the ability to fish skinny water.....for which this would seem to fit the bill nicely... in nice weather.

It appears a superbly built, quality skiff....fit and finish, as well as quality of hardware is all excellent from what I've seen. It sort of reminds me of a Panga, but better quality.

If the purchase happens, I'll have her out in a short time to put her through her paces. Stay tuned....I'll report back one way or another.

Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google “cbrats: center console” and you’ll see some of the threads about this model.
outbackbill

City/Region: Mocksville
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Blue Days
Photos: Blue Days
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post deleted
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as I love c Dory’s, my choice for that type of fishing is an 18’ Caracal Cat—one of the few single engine cats which perform well. The ride is very close to the Tom Cat. Far better in chop than the 22 or 25. The Cat, with 8 1/2 foot beam and a casting platform forward, plus a good trolling motor fits well forward has as much deck room as the 22 CC.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Wefings
Dealer

City/Region: Panhandle
Photos: Cruise Ship #4
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had one and spent a good bit of time on it . Its not as bad as it looks as I remember, it is very seaworthy . You need to use the trim tabs and drive to match conditions . Its well built and a 90 pushes her about 30ish.
I have a super clean one for sale on the lot at Wefings right now .
It was an odd attempt to gain mainstream market share . They built about a dozen . I am selling the third one for Wefings this time . We always offer demos for serious buyers .
Marc

taggteam

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
As much as I love c Dory’s, my choice for that type of fishing is an 18’ Caracal Cat—one of the few single engine cats which perform well. The ride is very close to the Tom Cat. Far better in chop than the 22 or 25. The Cat, with 8 1/2 foot beam and a casting platform forward, plus a good trolling motor fits well forward has as much deck room as the 22 CC.
g

I've owned several cats...Seagull, Nautico (the mex made junk Seagull), which I believe became the mold for Leader and Caraco...at least the 18. I've also had the 20 Seaull cat. .....all are completely different from the C Dory hull.

I've got a deposit in the one I looked at...super clean. As long as the mechanicals check out....I'll be a new owner his week. I'll give an honest review of the boat once I get it fitted out with new electronics and trim tabs.

Stay tuned......
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

taggteam wrote:
[

I've owned several cats...Seagull, Nautico (the mex made junk Seagull), which I believe became the mold for Leader and Caraco...at least the 18. I've also had the 20 Seaull cat. .....all are completely different from the C Dory hull.

The Caracal Cat is not derived from either the Seagull, Nautico or Leader Cats. It runs far better than any of those. (all of which I have ridden on). I was not comparing it to the C Dory 22 CC--just making an observation by someone who has owned several 22's that the Caracal Cat is ideal for what you describe, and rides way better in chop.

When you buy the C Dory 22--be sure and buy a Permatrim foil. That way you will get the best ride in sloppy conditions. The trim tabs alone will not do the best job.

Please do give us a review--and let us know how the CC C Dory rides in 3 foot short chop.
taggteam

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well....first ride today...I'm imprssed so far....tabs are on their wa
taggteam

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright....You guys got me. I've never been a fan of cavitation plate "bolt on's." After reading pages upon pages of permatrim testimony....one is on its way to NJ. I have received the Lenco tabs and will install them this week....if I can get my other boat (42Post) winterized this week. As soon as the Permatrim arrives, I wil get that bolted on as well.

Had the C Dory out yesterday....windy day...2 to3 chop...and I was impressed....just need to get that bow down. If the two things above don't do that....well..nothing will.

My thoughts on the CC Dory s that it must be much lighter up front due to the absence of the cabin....so...these add ons fell like they should be done.

I was extremely suprised at the response of this rig...had her doing 37mph with the Honda 90. Thats movin....I will spend most of my time aound 23-26...which the boat seems to love.

More later.....
taggteam

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tabs are installed.....stay tuned
taggteam

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
taggteam wrote:
[

The Caracal Cat is not derived from either the Seagull, Nautico or Leader Cats. It runs far better than any of those. (all of which I have ridden on). I was not comparing it to the C Dory 22 CC--just making an observation by someone who has owned several 22's that the Caracal Cat is ideal for what you describe, and rides way better in chop.

When you buy the C Dory 22--be sure and buy a Permatrim foil. That way you will get the best ride in sloppy conditions. The trim tabs alone will not do the best job.

Please do give us a review--and let us know how the CC C Dory rides in 3 foot short chop.

Here is a short clip of one of my cats....this was an 18 Seagull. I'd never before seen a "finished" Seagull. all were like the Nautico...with a workboat finish. This particular boat was the last year Seagull was manufactured, and had a molded hull liner. Very nice boat....with a great ride. Sold it to buy an 18 eastern downeast hull....which I still own.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RcwoLeOVK8
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: