Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frodo

City/Region: Normandy Park
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C Sprite
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:45 pm    Post subject: Looking to buy C Dory Reply with quote

Hello, my wife and I are nearing retirement and have decided its time to come in out of the weather from our sailboat and join those in the cabin where its warm. We live on Puget Sound and have ready access to the Seattle area and beyond so we want a boat that gives us the capability of exploring without breaking the bank. We are looking at both the 22 and 25 cruisers but wanted to know if there is anything in particular we should be looking for. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard!

Although there have been several threads comparing the 22 and the 25--you really have to go aboard one to make that decision. One of the best places is at a gathering. Unfortunately this is late in the year for the PNW.

Find a C brat near your with a 22 and a 25 and get a ride. We are all passionate about our boats. We have owned 2 of the 22's and 25's. It boils down to wanting to trailer the larger boats--and price. The 22 can be trailered by a number of vehicles--in the 5,000 weight class. The 25 is going to be close to 8,000 so you need a good truck. Although some 1/2 tons will do the job--a 3/4 ton is best. (We have had both--and as long as we are towing on the mostly level the 1/2 ton is OK--with electric over hydraulic brakes.

The head vs portipotty. There is more storage in the 25. The ride is a bit better in the chop.

Look at some of the albums for modifications.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Frodo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank for the advice. Not sure we'll trailer it much, mostly local waters. How about fuel consumption 22 vs 25? I can see us traveling all over Puget Sound.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frodo wrote:
Thank for the advice. Not sure we'll trailer it much, mostly local waters. How about fuel consumption 22 vs 25? I can see us traveling all over Puget Sound.

It will depend on your loading, speed, and trim and I don't know about a 25, but on my 22 with a Honda 90 at our usual cruising speed, my MPG for planning is 3 mpg. The actual MPG is usually 3.3-3.5 MPG, so planning on 3 builds in a reserve.
thataway

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So much depends on how you use the boat. We averaged about 3 mpg during a month and about 1100 miles in AK in a 2003 25, with a 130. A recent 700 mile trip we averaged about 2.5 mpg--much of it was on plane--with a 25 and a 150. Most of that was at low planing speeds (average about 15 knots)

Out of all of the costs of owning and running a power boat--the fuel costs are not a huge percent. Many of us C Brats are ex sailors--and so understand the concern--but how much is a new suit of sails? I was used to 6 miles per gallon in 62' and 46' sailboats--at 6 to 7 knots under power. We average about 70 hours of engine time a year on our C Dorys. That may not seem like much, but that includes 2 months of full time on the boat.
Frodo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds pretty good, I read somewhere of about a 300 mile range between fill ups. I think my wife would like having the enclosed head, we've been portapoti for many years. I'd like being able to put it up on the beach when needed, we have a dog. We've been sailboating about 30 years so I'd like anything over 6 knots....
thataway

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any of the C Dorys can easily be beached. Places like Lake Powell, with no tides and generally calm waters, many of us go stern to the beach--and stay dry getting off. Some put ladders on the bow--we use a telescoping ladder. We have boated with dogs for many years. This has included 2 full size labs on a C Dory 22. Currently we have a mid sized poodle--about 20#--makes it a lot easier.

We have also used ramps--such as the "pet step" which fold.

300 mile range would be displacement speeds for at least half of the trip. We figure 200 miles and have done that--but even then do part at displacement speeds in marginal fuel supply areas. . Generally we try and keep adequate reserve for adverse weather/currents, or closed fuel docks. We have found that after Labor Day on some Northern Rivers, the fuel docks begin to close--and may not take new fuel shipments.
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frodo wrote:
That sounds pretty good, I read somewhere of about a 300 mile range between fill ups. I think my wife would like having the enclosed head, we've been portapoti for many years. I'd like being able to put it up on the beach when needed, we have a dog. We've been sailboating about 30 years so I'd like anything over 6 knots....

Your wife will also appreciate the enclosed shower in that head on the 25, as well. Thumbs Up There are MANY discussions on the 22 vs 25 on this forum; each has their advantages. With the 100 gallon fuel tank on the 25, you can comfortably do 200 mile legs with a good reserve. If you are willing to slow down to displacement speed, you can get 5mpg (or more, depending on loading), extending your range to 400 miles or more.

Besides the enclosed head, the 25 will give you more storage, more elbow room, most have a fridge and 30amp electrical system, hot and cold pressure water... and did I mention: more room.

Another former sailor here - from my perspective, you would generally need to be in a 29 to 30 foot sailboat to get the same liveability that you will find in the CD-25. You will also get spoiled quickly by the enclosed, protected helm - you can stay out longer and cover more distance without getting wind or sun burn.

It is really nice to have options on speed: slow down and extend your range, push the throttle forward and make some miles.

We spent up to 6 months at a time on the 25 we had. If I were looking to do cruising again, I would buy another CD-25.

Both the 22 and the 25 are safe, efficient boats. It comes down to more room and amenities, a better ride in chop with the 25. A lower entry cost and better fuel economy with the 22, while giving up space and amenities (back to a porta-potty). For us, it was the difference between "camping" and feeling more "home like." It is pretty impressive when you see how much additional interior volume the 25 gives you, as well as a bigger cockpit.

And, speaking of the cockpit: I had some concerns about stretching out in the cockpit of the 25 like we had been able to do in our sailboats... you can put in whatever kind of comfortable seating you like (we used bag chairs)... the sunsets and adult beverages are the same. Cool

Good luck with the decisions. I think you will find your boating days and distances will be nicely extended with a C-Dory.
pcg

City/Region: Sherwood
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: C-Quest
Photos: pcg
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:

Out of all of the costs of owning and running a power boat--the fuel costs are not a huge percent...

I'm another who's considering the purchase of a C-Dory. We've owned small fishing boats, but never something large enough to cruise in, and, aside from registration and insurance, our costs have been limited to fuel and motor maintenance, and trailer maintenance, all of which I do myself.
What other major costs can we expect to incur from operating a C-Dory 22? I'm not talking about marina/moorage fees, or the never-ending temptation to add options, but just strictly operational costs of the boat itself. I have indoor space to house it in.

DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great advise on weather to purchase a 22 or a 25 Cruiser so far. We looked at both these boats in great detail before we chose to purchase a C-Dory 23 Venture. The captain seat and port side seat visibility of looking out the side windows was one of the more important factors to cement our decision to go with the Venture over a 22 Cruiser (also, the full height transom, the extra head room in the cabin and wider beam was important to us). It would be nice to have the head and shower in a 25 Cruiser or 26 Venture but I did not want to trailer that much boat as our usage is from that being 100% trailered and on a weekly basis.

It would be helpful for you to take a tour like we did of the C-Dory factory in Fairhaven, Wa. (Especially how you live in Washington State) to compare each model before you make your final decision.

Last edited by DayBreak on Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pcg wrote:
thataway wrote:

Out of all of the costs of owning and running a power boat--the fuel costs are not a huge percent...

I'm another who's considering the purchase of a C-Dory. We've owned small fishing boats, but never something large enough to cruise in, and, aside from registration and insurance, our costs have been limited to fuel and motor maintenance, and trailer maintenance, all of which I do myself.
What other major costs can we expect to incur from operating a C-Dory 22? I'm not talking about marina/moorage fees, or the never-ending temptation to add options, but just strictly operational costs of the boat itself. I have indoor space to house it in.

I'm sure you'll spend some money early on to configure the boat to your liking. The C-Dory is quite easy to modify. I spent some money doing this, but now that it is done, there's not a whole lot to do anymore.

Other than gas and regular maintenance costs (which for me might be about $75/yr 'cause I do it myself) there aren't any directly for the boat. Every couple of years you might have to put some money into the trailer, but that depends on how you use it. If you trailer the boat you might have to pay launch fees at the ramp(s) you use. I pay a monthly storage fee, but apparently you won't need to.

IMO the biggest hassle with a trailerable boat is finding someplace to leave the tow vehicle and trailer. While we know where/how to do this in our local area, when we travel to new places (which is why we have a trailerable boat) it can be difficult/a pain to find a safe place to leave the vehicle and trailer in a location you don't know much about. Sometimes there are costs involved in leaving the vehicle and trailer somewhere. Recently we were considering going to a big lake in another part of our state. Even though it was the off season, one place wanted $25/night to park there.

The other associated costs are the extra maintenance on you tow vehicle (possibly) and the higher gas consumption when towing. If you travel by toll road, the tolls will be significantly higher when pulling your boat.

Oh, and there's Uber. If you travel to distant destinations you won't have a way to get around on shore. It may be possible to walk, but in a lot of places you''ll need to ride.
thataway

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are other costs other than fuel? Boat maintenance is certainly one--for us as we age, we can no longer do the wash and wax ourselves. Insurance (mentioned--and I consider mandatory), yearly change of lubricants engine and lower unit, storage--in the water or out, (in our case we have both at our home--but that is the exception), Regular change out of water pump impellers. Trailers require maintenance--especially if dunked in salt water regularly. Wear and tear on tow vehicles--as well as reduced mileage (

One rarely mentioned is depreciation and having from $25,000 to $70,000 tied up which could have been earning 5% to 15%. Although the C Dory holds its value as well or better than any other boat I know of..there still are costs to maintain its value. Also there are continuing upgrades. I have sold all of my C Dory's for a price equal or more than I paid--except the Tom Cat--that one I took a significant loss on. But, in each boat I upgraded--including new electronics, and many custom features.

An example is the first 22 I have owned. I have followed that boat since I sold it--and it has had 3 owners. The boat new in 1993 was $25,000 (including electronics etc). The 2 owners before me each paid $25,000. I paid $25,000 and the 3 owners after me paid about $25,000. But... there is a new motor, all new electronics and thousands of dollars of upgrades. Each owner has contributed to this boat--and it is as functionally good as it was when new.
Frodo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really appreciate all your thoughts and advice, I think we're leaning toward the 25 as we will probably keep the boat at our marina slip and travel puget sound, San Juan islands and gulf islands. Can anyone tell me the total length of the 25 and 22 including railings, anchor pulpit and outboard in raised position, this will determine whether we need to get a larger slip. Thanks again.
thataway

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 25 will be close to 29 feet with with the engine “up” and the anchor pulpit. My Son’s 25 is just up under the 27’ allowed in his 25 foot slip in Dana Point CA. With the engine down.

The 22 is about the same—figure 26’. The boats are surprisingly long on trailers.
DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, (pcg) sorry I missed or stepped over your post. We also, like you can do our own maintenance (oil and filter changes and light maintenance on the trailer etc.) with our boat. Like Dr. Bob said, you will have to consider the money outlay not being there for investments purposes anylonger and now you have to pay for insurance to protect your investment.
Once you have all the electronics installed on the boat for your personal needs, there really isn't that much to consider for additional costs to own and use your C-Dory except for transportation costs to and from where you want to use the boat and the fuel for when you are on the water. We have factored in an impeller change with our mechanic every three years but that is about it. The electronics will eventually be outdated though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: