The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Question about splash well designs on C-dorys.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike_b

City/Region: Rogue Valley
State or Province: OR
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject: Question about splash well designs on C-dorys. Reply with quote

Hi guys and gals, I’m a new member who is considering replacing my current boat which is a Alumaweld 22’ (excluding floatation bracket length) with a 25’ C-dory (mono hull). The Alumaweld has been an excellent fishing boat for my wife and myself. However we now have 2 kids and were considering a boat with more cruising and boat camping capabilities.
I’ve been looking at website pictures and reading a lot about 25 C-dory’s, and the one thing that I’m really not liking about the C-dory is the lack of a fish box. While researching ways to add a fish box I came across the pictures below, which were posted by fellow member Hambone , it appears to be a possible solution to the fish box problem. According to Hambone this box was custom built out of aluminum for his 22’ C-dory cruiser. After looking over many pictures of the motor splash well design on 25’ and 22’ers I’m getting the impression that the 25 has a shorter splash well (different design)???My question is do you guys think this fish box idea would work on a 25’er with twin 90’s?
Thanks

journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the 25 has a different splash well design. The middle of the well is used for the cables coming off the motor as well as the motor actuator. The sides are open, though.

You could make 2 separate containers, joined by a bridge. Look and see.

Boris
tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Question about splash well designs on C-dorys. Reply with quote

[quote="Mike_b"]Hi guys and gals, I’m a new member who is considering replacing my current boat which is a Alumaweld 22’ (excluding floatation bracket length) with a 25’ C-dory (mono hull). The Alumaweld has been an excellent fishing boat for my wife and myself. However we now have 2 kids and were considering a boat with more cruising and boat camping capabilities.
I’ve been looking at website pictures and reading a lot about 25 C-dory’s, and the one thing that I’m really not liking about the C-dory is the lack of a fish box. While researching ways to add a fish box I came across the pictures below, which were posted by fellow member Hambone , it appears to be a possible solution to the fish box problem. According to Hambone this box was custom built out of aluminum for his 22’ C-dory cruiser. After looking over many pictures of the motor splash well design on 25’ and 22’ers I’m getting the impression that the 25 has a shorter splash well (different design)???My question is do you guys think this fish box idea would work on a 25’er with twin 90’s?
Thanks

I use the splash well for a fish box / bleed area,
after they bleed out they get head & gut or filleted & put on ice in a cooler that lives under the V berth area. If halibut / Rockfish I have a half a 40 gal. water bbl. that lives on the starboard side of cockpit / deck up against back of cabin. That bbl. will hold a 150#, 120#, & 4 30-60# halibut at the same time.

[url][/url]
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know about the 25, but on the 22 such a fishbox would make getting in and out of the boat more difficult IMO. Usually when entering or leaving the boat at the dock, usually we step on the swim step first, then the dock. Boarding the boat, the first step is onto the swim step. The low cut of the 22 splash well makes this easy. Having to climb over this box would be a pain.

Same thing would be true when using the swim step to board from the water or a dinghy.
CDory23

Photos: CDory23
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a fish bag in the back of my boat. I don't have an image of mine but it is very similar if not the same to the picture in the post by "flapbreaker." I might have even gotten the idea from this post.

http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=9350&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=&sid=c252bacf143f10b9fa81d53805e577cd

I've been very happy with the bag. It recently held 3 limits of rockfish and lingcod. Over 160lbs of fish. Also, the bag is portable unlike a fish box so if you ever berth your boat as I do currently its easy to transport the catch. Ive also had 5 limits of crab, 3 limits of salmon with extra space available.
Pacificcoast101

City/Region: Torrance
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: No Pressure
Photos: No Pressure
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about the 25 but the Tomcats have a live well and two fish lockers.

Southern California Marine Life
https://www.flickr.com/photos/southern_california_marine_life/albums

My Photos
https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/?pseudoid=%7bAC42A235-FD0A-464A-B559-1CC5843C95FB%7d&name=Phil+Garner&st=11&mode=0&comp=1
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With twin 90's you will be taking up more of the splash well with motor cables, fuel lines, tiller arm and steering. On my 25, there is room for the Honda EU 2200 on each side of the single 150. the amount of room in the center is quite a bit less for and aft. With the twin 90's it would be worse--since the engines turn into the space in the center.

What you might end up with would be a box 10" from top to bottom, and maybe 6 to 8" fore and aft, and about 40" athwartship. If that is large enough--go for it. You could use the seats (one on each side aft) and put the box above those: This would allow as wide a box as you want. It could easily be 12" high, 12" forward & aft and over 6' wide. However you would loose some cockpit space, and not be able to get to the swim step easily.... This box could be removable.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Mike_b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pacificcoast101 wrote:
I don't know about the 25 but the Tomcats have a live well and two fish lockers.

Thanks for the reply. The Tomcats are nice boats, but they appear to be a little out of my price range.
Mike_b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Question about splash well designs on C-dorys. Reply with quote

[quote="tsturm"]
Mike_b wrote:
Hi guys and gals, I’m a new member who is considering replacing my current boat which is a Alumaweld 22’ (excluding floatation bracket length) with a 25’ C-dory (mono hull). The Alumaweld has been an excellent fishing boat for my wife and myself. However we now have 2 kids and were considering a boat with more cruising and boat camping capabilities.
Thanks

I use the splash well for a fish box / bleed area,
after they bleed out they get head & gut or filleted & put on ice in a cooler that lives under the V berth area. If halibut / Rockfish I have a half a 40 gal. water bbl. that lives on the starboard side of cockpit / deck up against back of cabin. That bbl. will hold a 150#, 120#, & 4 30-60# halibut at the same time.

[url][/url]

How big of a cooler are you able to get in the V berth?
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a picture of the fish box I built for our 22. you could do the same for the 25. it was just adding a rear wall to the spashwell and a lid on hinges. We lover it. It freed up a lot of room on the floor by getting red of a ice chest for day fishing. Its also allowed for a place to put fish until you could clean and process before putting them in a ice chest if on longer trips. It had a drain so that it could be filled with water and then cleaned out. Great for crab and shrimp. It also doubled as a seat for two or as a step for getting in and out of the boat. it made getting to the swim step a whole lot easier. It is hands down one of the best things we did to the 22. I have not seen this boat again since steve dore sold it. It has to be out there some where. One of a kind.

Mike_b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CDory23 wrote:
I use a fish bag in the back of my boat. I don't have an image of mine but it is very similar if not the same to the picture in the post by "flapbreaker." I might have even gotten the idea from this post.

http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=9350&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=&sid=c252bacf143f10b9fa81d53805e577cd

I've been very happy with the bag. It recently held 3 limits of rockfish and lingcod. Over 160lbs of fish. Also, the bag is portable unlike a fish box so if you ever berth your boat as I do currently its easy to transport the catch. Ive also had 5 limits of crab, 3 limits of salmon with extra space available.

Thanks for the reply. I thought about the bag idea, however the problem I have with the bag is the cockpit space it would consume. If I were to sell my current boat and get a 25’ C-dory I would already be loosing about 4.4 square feet of cockpit space. We are a family of 4 so I want to have as much cockpit space as possible.
CDory23

Photos: CDory23
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand. The bag isn't even noticeable empty, but when it starts getting filled and starts to bulge it can get in the way sometimes. I still feel its the best solution for me. Cockpit space in general is a huge issue for me on the 22 since my main use is fishing and I didn't buy an "angler" version. But, on cold, rainy days while out nothing beats the nice cabin with heater and ability to cook. Plus the fiancee will actually go out in the boat with me for those reasons!

I think someone mentioned the Tomcat. You may want to give it some consideration if its in your budget. I'm sure your already aware of the C Dory hull design and the handling in chop. You will notice a large difference in the handling versus your current deep v especially in speed to get to the fishing grounds. You will be saving a lot of money on fuel and in general C Dory is just a great boat with tons of positives your probably aware of. The TomCat has all of the c dory pros pros and handles the rougher water very well from what I have researched. That will be my next boat when I can afford it!

Thinking about it I believe your post mentioned 2 kids. Overall the Tomcat would be a lot more comfortable for the 4 of you being aboard for long periods of time.
tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Question about splash well designs on C-dorys. Reply with quote

[quote="Mike_bHow big of a cooler are you able to get in the V berth?[/quote]

A 48 Qt coleman fits perfect
Mike_b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CDory23 wrote:
I understand. The bag isn't even noticeable empty, but when it starts getting filled and starts to bulge it can get in the way sometimes. I still feel its the best solution for me. Cockpit space in general is a huge issue for me on the 22 since my main use is fishing and I didn't buy an "angler" version. But, on cold, rainy days while out nothing beats the nice cabin with heater and ability to cook. Plus the fiancee will actually go out in the boat with me for those reasons!

I think someone mentioned the Tomcat. You may want to give it some consideration if its in your budget. I'm sure your already aware of the C Dory hull design and the handling in chop. You will notice a large difference in the handling versus your current deep v especially in speed to get to the fishing grounds. You will be saving a lot of money on fuel and in general C Dory is just a great boat with tons of positives your probably aware of. The TomCat has all of the c dory pros pros and handles the rougher water very well from what I have researched. That will be my next boat when I can afford it!

Thinking about it I believe your post mentioned 2 kids. Overall the Tomcat would be a lot more comfortable for the 4 of you being aboard for long periods of time.

Thanks for your thoughtful response.

I know I’m going to be sacrificing some ride speed in the chop if I end up with a 25 c-dory. I’m not sure how much? My current Alumaweld with its continual 18 degree vee pounds in chop as well, but it’s the only big boat I’ve ever owned so I don’t have much to compare it to. What I can say about ride comparisons is that I’ve had a Grady White blow past my Alumaweld in 2 to 3 foot chop in the ocean out of Reedsport Oregon. Fuel not a huge consideration due to the fact that we both are still working with kids so long distance cruises are not in our immediate plans. Mostly we will do a few short cruises a year on the Columbia river, along with boat camping at our local lake.

My wife really likes the cabin comforts of a 25 C-Dory when compared to our current boat, which is geared towards being a fishing boat. My wife saw a C-dory on the computer and fell in love with all its creature comforts , and sleeping capabilities. So that’s what prompted me to start researching the brand. With that being said my wife also loves to fish. She’s learning boats are about compromise. Ha ha

The Tomcat would be a great choice, but out of our budget. The best we can comfortably afford is a lightly used 25 cruiser or 26 Venture.
Pacificcoast101

City/Region: Torrance
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: No Pressure
Photos: No Pressure
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.shoppok.com/skagit/a,29,77940,2008-C-Dory-TOMCAT-255.htm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: