View previous topic :: View next topic  
jack keifer

City/Region: Boise
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Squirt
Photos: C-Squirt
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:46 pm    Post subject: Checking out Reply with quote

After 35+ years of boating, including 18 with C-Dories, we have sold our 16 cruiser. Ellen’s balance issues have continued to get worse and I have become increasingly concerned about her falling in the boat or going overboard and having significant difficulty getting back on board. Even though we always wear life jackets, we would still often have to deal with cold water and are often out by ourselves. Our friends Gene and Sandy Ralston who live here do drowning victim body searches across North America. The last thing I would want is to have them looking for Ellen.
I am aware that many people say the two best days are when get a boat and the day they sell it. Not so here! We could never count the number of great, fun times we had with our boats and Ellen has said how much she misses it. But sometimes horse sense has to take precedence.
We replaced the 16 with a small camper that has mountain road capability. So we will still get out of town but with some different destinations.
I have really enjoyed this site with the stories and the available advice and problem solutions. Happy boating to all of you.

dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly can identify with what you are saying. We sold our last boat after Dotty fell getting off at Coulon Park. When she was young Dotty had been a live aboard for over 12 years. She knows more about boats and boating they I could ever hope to. Her love of being "on the water" is what really started us in canoeing and boating. But, like a lot of things at our age, the good memories will have to suffice. That and the whale watching trips from LaConner, the Norwegian Pearl to Alaska every other year and, of course reading the C-Brats. Truth be told, it ain't so bad Jack.

"...we're all in the same boat..."
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack, yes time will eventually get us all. We hope to transition similar to you when our time comes. I transitioned to boats, when I could no longer get around in the high rough mountains & as much as I loved the mountains, the boating has been an even better period of my life, as Jo-Lee & I have been able to do this much more together. The most difficult part for me in the transition from mountains to boats was much of the knowledge, that had been gained through hard experience, had to be left behind & the same will be done again, when our boating time is over.

Jay

srbaum

City/Region: Portsmouth
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack,
The best part of your story is that you have spent a good part of your time doing what you liked best.
Fair winds!

OSPREY (Ex ADITI) 2007 26 Cape Cruiser 2018
DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jack. Thank you for sharing your story. Please remember. Once a C-Brat, always a C-Brat. You will always be a part of the family here. All of us must open new chapters as a Brat and must continue to turn the page until we hit the next chapter. What is nice about the C-Brats family is that we all have the love of adventure and exploring in common.
We wish you the best in your next adventures of travel that lie ahead. Keep in touch. Gary and Colleen.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As mentioned, we all have to change, sometime. Some do it more willingly than others, and some do it with more lead time than others. Some look forward to it and for others it is much harder to swallow, but, as you are doing, planning ahead and providing for you and Ellen's safety, is taking the right tack. Stick around on the site and let us know how the transition is going.

All the best,

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

jack keifer

City/Region: Boise
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Squirt
Photos: C-Squirt
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: checking out Reply with quote

Thanks for all the kind words. I am sure I'll be logging on from time to time to see what is going on.
Best Regards
JMacLeod

City/Region: Stuart
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: C-Shalom
Photos: JMacLeod
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack, I also hope to see you around from time to time.
There's not enough days left for me to ever experience what you have about C-Dory's and boating.
Best I can do is glean a little wisdom every now and then.
Wink
Everything has a season, and maybe we'll get a chance to meet up with you and Ellen someday at one of those different destinations.
Keep living the joy. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: