Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sheepshead

City/Region: hilton head
State or Province: SC
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Photos: Sheepshead
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject: clearance from prop to boat ramp Reply with quote

Yesterday my trim control (both on engine and at the helm) would only go downward, no up movement. This happenned while in the water.

I wasn't sure what the clearance would be if I were to attempt putting the boat back on the trailer. Do some folks haul their boats out of the water with the engine in complete downward position? I've never tried, and I didn't want to risk somehow hitting the ramp with my prop.
(2007 angler with original stock Suzuki.)

I fumbled around with limit switches, fuses, manual, and you tube info with no luck fixing the problem.
The swim step was too close to the manual adjustment screw to be accessed while on the water too. Darkness was no help either.

Anyway, I chose to spend a chilly night on the water and had the boat hauled out early this morning at a nearby marina with a large fork truck.
A Suzuki mechanic got it working fine without actually doing anything. He suggested maybe it was a bubble in fluid or corroded connection to solenoid.
Knowing that I could be in the same position on another trip, I wanted to know if it is doable or adviseable to haul the boat out in down position.
Thanks.

If this posts twice like always, I apologize in advance:)
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course it depends on the trailer and ramp--put your motor all of the way down, when on a level area with the boat on the trailer. That way you can see how much clearance. With most trailers and ramps--it its OK to pull with the motor down. I trail my 25 with the motor down--and launch and retrieve the same way.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The skeg on my motor only has about 2 inches clearance on the trailer when in the down position, so I always launch, retrieve, and tow with the motor up.

At least with the Honda motors, there is a way to release the tilt mechanism with the manual relief valve. Then you can tilt the motor by hand. You can use the tilt lock to keep it in the up position. With the manual relief valve set to manual the motor will not stay in the up position by itself.

It may be possible to open the valve, then tilt the motor, and then close the valve again. Perhaps then the motor will stay up without the lock.

Check your owner's manual.
Discovery

City/Region: LOA, UTAH
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Discovery
Photos: Discovery
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="thataway". I trail my 25 with the motor down--and launch and retrieve the same way.[/quote]

Same with the TomCat 255. I usually have to power on the trailer, and never raise the motors for travel..

On the two 22' C-Dorys an Angler and Classic we have owned. I raised the motor after loading and used a 'transom saver' for travel. The bunk style trailers were too low for the motor to clear in some situations.

Brent and Dixie,
1984 22' Classic sold 2003
2003 24' TomCat sold 2005
2006 TC255 Discovery Sold 2020
2006 CD 22' Angler Sold 2014
https://share.delorme.com/FBrentBetenson
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms." ~ Thomas Jefferson
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it best to trim the motor(s) up when launching and retrieving. I've seen a few skeggs dragged on the ground at the boat ramp. Realistically, it really depends on the slope of the ramp, and the angle of the drive to it at the top. Along with your hitch overhang from the back axle...Why take the chance, unless you have a mechanical issue with the trim, in which case it'd be worth having someone watch as you pull out slowly.
DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are ever on the Oregon coast and retrieving out of Newport Southbeach Marina, raise the motor. I watched a poor guy drive up the ramp with the motor trimmed down and witnessed his partner yelling at him to "stop" as he dragged the lower unit all the way up the ramp. The driver could not hear his partner or else he chose to ignore his partner and dragged the motor all the way up the ramp. Talk about finger nails scratching a chalk board! I still remember this and so this is the first thing we check on our departure list when leaving the ramp.
tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:57 am    Post subject: Re: clearance from prop to boat ramp Reply with quote

Sheepshead wrote:
Yesterday my trim control (both on engine and at the helm) would only go downward, no up movement. This happenned while in the water.

I wasn't sure what the clearance would be if I were to attempt putting the boat back on the trailer. Do some folks haul their boats out of the water with the engine in complete downward position? I've never tried, and I didn't want to risk somehow hitting the ramp with my prop.
(2007 angler with original stock Suzuki.)

I fumbled around with limit switches, fuses, manual, and you tube info with no luck fixing the problem.
The swim step was too close to the manual adjustment screw to be accessed while on the water too. Darkness was no help either.

Anyway, I chose to spend a chilly night on the water and had the boat hauled out early this morning at a nearby marina with a large fork truck.
A Suzuki mechanic got it working fine without actually doing anything. He suggested maybe it was a bubble in fluid or corroded connection to solenoid.
Knowing that I could be in the same position on another trip, I wanted to know if it is doable or adviseable to haul the boat out in down position.
Thanks.

If this posts twice like always, I apologize in advance:)

There is a plastic clamp with a lever around the tilt tube on your motor this shuts off the UP of the tilt. (its adjustable) Mine came loose once & I had the same scenario. YMMV
Wink
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With our 22’ and Suzuki 115, we have at least 8” of clearance from the skeg to ground. I retrieve and travel with the motor down, which is Suzuki’s recommendation (or a transom saver). Our trailer is a tandem axle
E Z Loader bunk model.

SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always feel the day is not over until I hit something....on land or sea...I have never hit anything at a ramp...but I once hit a dead animal when towing with the motor down...so I don't do that anymore...sure glad it was not a skunk..

Joel
SEA3PO
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On SleepyC I have skeg protectors that add a couple of inches to the bottom of the skeg, AND I lowered my bunks 3 inches a couple of years ago. NO way I could go up the ramp with the OB's down. (Besides, at the top of the ramp are the fuel fill and man hole covers that stick up from the pavement grade about 2 inches.) I have seen them get hit, take out aluminum props and break off skegs. Why would anyone want to take that chance?

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Sheepshead

City/Region: hilton head
State or Province: SC
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Photos: Sheepshead
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies.
I checked clearance on level ground, and it looks like I have about 3" or so.
That's too small for me to feel comfortable leaving it down when pulling out.....so I guess I made the right call.

Next time I'll have a t handle small shaft screwdriver to better access the manual tilt.
Also I'll plan to keep a spare pillow and blanket onboard just in case.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great points! Even in our dinghies we carry a "ditch bag"--which contains among other things: a small pair of vise grips, a multi bit screw driver, weatherman tool, and a small crescent wrench. There are a couple of mylar "space blankets" and plastic ponchos. We also carry a bag with an extra jacket / pants(foul weather gear), a set of upper and lower sweat pants, swim suit and clean under wear and heavy sox. In addition a couple of bottles of water and some high energy bars are in the dry bag. I have only needed to use all of these things a few times--but worth their weight in gold.

One early evening I had been shooting some tidal salt water rapids in the dinghy. I had helped another boat get on down as the tide went out; by the time we got him clear, it was too shoal for me to get our RIB out. I called Marie on the hand held VHF, and told her I would be back about 3 AM when the tide was back up --and cuddled went to sleep on the floor of the dinghy--warm and safe.
DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every tow rig, boat and trailer is different. The lead mechanic at Sportcraft Marina in Portland, Or. told us to tow with the kicker motor down but never the main because it would be too low to the ground. This recommendation has been working well for us.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some boat/trailer combinations may have the motor's skeg riding high enough for most situations on the road with the motor leg down, but then when you try to enter a driveway, cross a water gutter in a parking lot, a speed bump, or some other uneven feature, the motor's skeg bottoms out, grounding down hard on the asphalt or concrete. If you do it Big Time, you can even scratch up the prop! Embarrased

I've found out the hard way a time or two. Don't ask! Laughing

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I stated earlier, I trim the motor up for launching and retrieving. However, I trailer with it down. I am aware of it's ground clearance, which suffices for most driveways. However, there are occasional situations where I will leave the driveway at an angle to help dissipate some of the depth, or use a different driveway. (Speaking of gas stations or other parking lots.) Colby
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: