The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Battery Choices
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
srbaum

City/Region: Portsmouth
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Dr. Bob... AGM's from Sam's Club are a bargain and are very durable. I replaced my batteries over 1 year ago and they are wonderful. No changes to my charger was needed and my engine and solar panels take care of keeping the 2 batteries topped. These are what I purchased: https://www.samsclub.com/sams/duracell-agm-deep-cycle-marine-and-rv-battery-group-size-sl34magm/prod3590225.ip?xid=plp:product:1:2
OSPREY (Ex ADITI) 2007 26 Cape Cruiser 2018
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree that for most folks the Lead acid are fine and the best buy.. When we were cruising full time, and crossing oceans, our 1200 amp hour battery bank was entirely of lead acid deep cycle golf carts--and they were still in good shape after over 5 years of use daily use.

I made a mistake when I put "Normally I'll cycle between 60% SOC to 10% SOC-"

That should have been normally cycle between 60% SOC to 90% SOC.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Greg, thanks for the info on the starting battery. No, I don't see anymore amperage draw on the batteries at night. I think I'm pretty maxed out now, even though with the LED's and low amperage fans, not much is being drawn. I'd say my heaviest draw is from the Cpap on the 100Watt inverter (the inverter gets warm, so I know it's probably providing somewhere near it's limit), and the Wabasto Heater when the glow plug is on. My routine is to usually start the outboard on the Starting battery, then run the battery switch to both batteries to recharge both. If I'm going to be running long, I'll just recharge one battery at a time. Then I leave the switch to the starting battery until turning in for the night, at which time I switch to my house battery. Colby
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

inspect cables, too

http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/battery_cables

Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject: Battery Choices Reply with quote

I would look at lead acid filled batteries from Wal-Mart. Lots of boaters, Tugnuts swear by them.
D.D.

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine are dual cycle from wally world. Group 24 were around $80-90 each. Mine are new this summer, but the previous ones were there for at least 5 years (came with the boat). Replaced them when they fairly suddenly would only take a surface charge.

One thing to be aware of is that according to CR there are northern and southern formulations of the Walmart batteries, at least for the car batteries. They are supposed to be tailored for the expected conditions of where they are used. You probably want to get the correct ones for your primary boating area.
Slipknot

City/Region: Scappoose
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2016
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery Choices Reply with quote

Will-C wrote:
I would look at lead acid filled batteries from Wal-Mart. Lots of boaters, Tugnuts swear by them.
D.D.

Are these the "Ever Start" brand that Walmart carries?
dgeorges

City/Region: Highlands Ranch
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: FRESH FISH
Photos: FRESH FISH
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome thread.

CD 22 Cruiser "FRESH FISH: 2018 to present.
CD 16 Angler "OPA": 2013 to 2019.
Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a smaller C-Dory, I'd not hesitate to get 1 start and 1 house both AGM, Gr 31
from Sam's Club.

For a larger C-Dory, I'd up to 2 house AGMs, Gr 31.

Add a good AC 'smart' shore charger AND you'll worry less about your batteries
adding solar charging for when you're 'out there', on a trailer, etc.

Keeping all batteries exactly the same simplifies charging and increases longevity
(with reasonable use).

Aye.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree 100% with Foggy's excellent suggestion about Sam's club (made by East Penn-Deka) Group 31 batteries. That is what we used on Thisaway. We are using the same set up for Thataway--C Dory 25--and run both chest type freezer and refrigerator off two group 31 house batteries.

One of the issues with the 22's that have older 90 hp Honda's is that they only put out 17 amps (probably less usable) for the carbureted engines. If you are going to sit one place for long periods of times--then 200 watts of solar would be sufficient to keep batteries topped off, if you have good sunshine--such as at Lake Powell.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two Group 24 dual cycle batteries from Walmart on my 22. One is used for the house and one is in reserve for starting. My boat has the Norcold fridge. Even in the summer when the fridge is used and the other loads (e.g cabin lights, fans, external lighting, electronic devices), the house battery doesn't usually go below 70% charge overnight. Before retiring, I run the motor at about 1K rpm for 20-30 minutes (depending on the battery charge level) to top it up for the night. The boat is much quieter at a higher rpm level than idle. There seems to be an amplifying resonance in the boat structure at regular idle.

During the day the usual cruising will recharge the battery fully.

Even when down below 70% charge, the battery has no trouble starting the motor.

My BF90D will charge a single battery at a rate of about 25 amps or more with the engine at the higher idle.

I have considered going to Group 27 batteries, but both my batteries are in the starboard lazarette along with the battery switch and other components. I doubt that there is enough room in there for two 27 batteries. So far the 24 batteries have worked out fine so there has not been any real incentive to change things.

FWIW, all the lighting on my boat is LED.
DavidM

City/Region: Punta Gorda
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am late to this discussion and the following may be redundant, but I have lived with battery power on boats and RVs for twenty years and know a thing or two about batteries.

There are very few (Lifeline's probably but they are expensive) 12V flooded cell batteries that are made with heavy plates and more room under the plates for sulfate build up. 6V Golf cart batteries are made that way, but it takes two and there isn't room on most C-Dory's for 2 house and 1 start battery.

OTOH there is little maybe no difference between AGM deep cycle and start batteries. Their construction inherently deals with the problems of plate usage and sulfate buildup.

So I would use the biggest 12V AGM battery that will fit in the house battery compartment, maybe a group 31. They are about double the cost of most FLAs but cheaper than a Lifeline FLA.

Ideally your shore power charger should have a setting for AGM batteries and it is marginally better to use it rather than the more common FLA charging settings. If you can change the setting, also use an AGM for the starting battery (a group 24 or 27 will do) so both will get the proper charge.

David
jennykatz

City/Region: naples
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:54 am    Post subject: batteries Reply with quote

I have been using Sams club batteries for years usually get 3-4 years out of a size 27/ 105 amp hours they are duel purpose marine /rv for $75 or so plus tax and bring in an old core battery . I dont know if 27 will fit in your Lazerettes ? On the cc-23 they fit nicely . We have a tundra fridge also a 750 inverter running on these . The AGM were more $$$ and for me not worth the price Jim
00 cd16 cruiser honda 40 sold 3/12
Gene Morris

City/Region: Eureka CA
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Reef Madness
Photos: Reefmadness
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Bob stated

" That is what we used on Thisaway. We are using the same set up for Thataway--C Dory 25--and run both chest type freezer and refrigerator off two group 31 house batteries. "

Margaret & I have been trying to figure out a freezer addon. What kind of freezer did you have and how was it powered? We have a 1800 watt inverter with house power of 4 6v golf cart batteries. and haven't found a 12v freezer that is large enough for our purpose

Gene

JMacLeod

City/Region: Stuart
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: C-Shalom
Photos: JMacLeod
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jennykatz wrote:
I dont know if 27 will fit in your Lazerettes ? On the cc-23 they fit nicely . We have a tundra fridge also a 750 inverter running on these . The AGM were more $$$ and for me not worth the price Jim

I've been sifting through all the conflicting opinions on the marine and RV forums regarding mixing/matching/charging flooded, sealed and AGM banks, but one thing nearly all agreed on was using sealed batteries inside the cabin for off-gassing issues.

Since the battery locker is already integrated/vented into the sponsons I'd considered placing an extra flooded house bat or two down below the cabin as an alternative to adding to/replacing the existing bank with AGMs.

Gene Morris wrote:
Margaret & I have been trying to figure out a freezer addon. What kind of freezer did you have and how was it powered? We have a 1800 watt inverter with house power of 4 6v golf cart batteries. and haven't found a 12v freezer that is large enough for our purpose

Interested as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: