HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Colors
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cattlejack

City/Region: Leonardtown
State or Province: MD
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject: Colors Reply with quote

Why is it that I never see the insides of c dory's painted. I would think that would brighten up the interiors somewhat. Just asking
South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree. I don't like the speckled finish. I wish it was just smooth white. Although it's not that hard or expensive to paint the interior if one was so inclined. Pretty easy to access most of the paintable areas. There's been some Brats who have done it too.

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht (Twin 385 Crusaders) (SOLD 6/20)

2000 Camano 31 Troll (Volvo TAMD41p) (SOLD 2/19)

2007 C Dory 25' Cruiser (200 hp Suzuki, sold 7/17)

2003 C Dory 19' Angler (80 hp Yamaha, sold 7/16)

1995 C Dory 16' Angler (40 hp Yamaha, sold 2/16)
MikeR

City/Region: Mill Creek
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2016
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: MikeR
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Colors Reply with quote

cattlejack wrote:
Why is it that I never see the insides of c dory's painted. I would think that would brighten up the interiors somewhat. Just asking

You mean painted by owners? Or painted from the factory? Interiors are actually sprayed-in gel coat, more durable than most paints (although the gel coat can wear out over time too, especially on the floor, I re-gelcoated the floor of my 1990 a couple of years ago to freshen it up during a core repair project).

The texturizer (or "speckles") are added to hide the imperfections since it is otherwise just bare fiberglass cloth and tape on the insides, not a molded interior like some boats have. The raw interior is part of what makes a C-dory what it is, a simple, utilitarian, light weight cruiser. I think some models do have headliners though, like maybe the Venture and TomCat?

In terms of brightening it up, I'm not sure what color you would paint the white / off-white to make it brighter? I'm quite happy with the interior brightness in my two C-dories, so the thought of painting them a different color would have never crossed my mind.

-Mike

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I painted mine with a very slight green tint to go with with the stripe color (don't ask me, the wife picked it). The paint is from HD. In order to insulate the inside I painted 3 coats of the SC1000 sound deadening stuff that was recommended by someone on this site. I did this right off the bat when I got my 22 so I don't know what difference it made (I suspect not much). Since the SC1000 is white and kind of open cell and soft, I covered it with 3 coats of exterior grade latex paint from HD.

The paint is eggshell finish and it brightens up the interior a lot. While the speckle finish may hide the imperfections in the interior fit and finish, it does make the interior look kind of dingy and dirty. We think that the interior looks a lot better with the lighter, solid color finish.

FWIW. it took a full day to remove stuff and mask the interior. 6 days to paint (1 coat/day) and then 1 day to remove the masking and restore the interior. So you're talking 8-10 days to repaint like I did.

IMO, it was worth it to do this.
cattlejack

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By painted, I mean like tropical colors, like a light green, light blue , Key West stale
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are planning to do just that this next year?? Our 27 is very dark with a lot of the dark wood inside. I plan to paint it all a light blue and off white.
cattlejack

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about posting some photos of your painted interiors?
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally like the stock interior. It is easy to clean, and you can wipe it sown with a vinegar solution and nothing grows on it and the speckles are not adversely affected by the cleaning.

the utilitarian concept is dual purpose: (1. simple to apply so cost effective, and (2. more durable than paint so wear spots don't show up.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Olin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
I personally like the stock interior. It is easy to clean, and you can wipe it sown with a vinegar solution and nothing grows on it and the speckles are not adversely affected by the cleaning.

the utilitarian concept is dual purpose: (1. simple to apply so cost effective, and (2. more durable than paint so wear spots don't show up.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

yeah that looks really ncie and clean.
BTDT

City/Region: Grand Lake Oklahoma
State or Province: OK
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: C- Lark Wine Down
Photos: C-Lark
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Except for sleeping, 97% of my time is spent enjoying the waterscapes around me. I look at my boats interior as a means to cruise/navigate/store rather than something to sit inside and enjoy the interior view. Call me old fashion, but I like the KISS principle when it comes to boat interiors...… except for navigation equipment .... where more is better, and KISS is BAD Wink!
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTDT wrote:
Except for sleeping, 97% of my time is spent enjoying the waterscapes around me. I look at my boats interior as a means to cruise/navigate/store rather than something to sit inside and enjoy the interior view. Call me old fashion, but I like the KISS principle when it comes to boat interiors...… except for navigation equipment .... where more is better, and KISS is BAD Wink!

I agree, most of my time is using the boat to go, get to someplace, to see and photograph. Admittedly, my boat has some time on it since that pix was taken, and I have added considerable, but I still like the simple, tough interior.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I painted my interior after adding a couple coats of sound/heat insulation. I used an off white similar to the lighter color of the original speckle coat. Since the interior of the 16 is small, I just used a standard Krylon spray can color and about 5 cans. I used a paint that was more of an enamel than the original dirt collecting surface. The best thing about that is that the couple of times when I've had something smudge/gouge the surface, I just grab a spray can and fix it.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
BillE

City/Region: Nashville
State or Province: TN
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: BillE
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at ssobol's before and after pics, I like his paint job better than the speckles. I would not be willing to go through all of that for the result, but I do like the result.
tomherrick

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My artist wife said the speckled paint job looked like "splattered fish guts". Maybe the Toland's intent - who knows... After extensive prep, we primed and sprayed on a nice version of yellow in an enamel from Sherwin-Williams mixed with ceramic microspheres. It really warmed up the place. We're gonna do something similar when I get the boat right-side-up again...

TylerTaber

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cattlejacks wrote:
By painted, I mean like tropical colors, like a light green, light blue , Key West stale

the accent color part of gel coat ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: