The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Trailer dimensions for C22

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gstraub

City/Region: Callao
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 1998
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: EnDoryFun
Photos: EnDoryFun
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:13 pm    Post subject: Trailer dimensions for C22 Reply with quote

Last year I bought a 1998 C-Dory 22 cruiser without a trailer. I am now trying to buy a trailer. I went to two trailer dealers near my home and showed them the drawing with dimensions on the boat. The one I tentatively selected is a Load Rite bunk trailer 5S-AC21T5200. Since I have no way to get the boat to the dealer for them to set it up, they asked for bow eye to transom length, and preferred spacing of the bunks. I measured the bow eye to transom length as best I could by myself and it looks to be about 20'. The specs on the trailer show a max bow eye to transom length of 18' 9" and dealer says it is 19' 9".

So I have two questions. The first is will some overhang of the transom off the back of the trailer be an issue (looks like we are talking up to a foot)? The second is if anyone has some info on how to set up the bunks.

Thanks for any assistance.

Gerhard

DavidM

City/Region: Punta Gorda
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful about putting a 20' boat on a 19' trailer. The fore/aft position of the boat on the trailer determines the tongue weight. You want to have about 400 lbs of tongue weight with the boat loaded on the trailer. Moving the boat aft a foot can easily drop the tongue weight in half. It will possibly tow squirrely then.

David
gstraub

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, David. Good point. I need the dealer to confirm that max bow eye to transom dimension.
srbaum

City/Region: Portsmouth
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerhard,
I live in Portsmouth, VA and you are welcome to look and measure the trailer used for my 22 cruiser (that will soon be for sale). Also I will be glad to assist you in any way that I can. You are also welcome to call me, if that would make it easier for you to get answers.
My number is 757-477-1453.

OSPREY (Ex ADITI) 2007 26 Cape Cruiser 2018
gstraub

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,

Thanks! I'll give you a call tomorrow.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do not want the stern of the boat to overhang the trailer bunks/rollers. The boat's stern should be supported by the bunks/rollers. Ideally your bunks/rollers will end even with the back of the stern, or maybe even hang out another inch.
dgeorges

City/Region: Highlands Ranch
State or Province: CO
Vessel Name: FRESH FISH
Photos: FRESH FISH
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up a CD22 Cruiser in Deale, MD a few weeks ago that needed a tandem trailer. Every time I asked about a good boat trailer sales outfit, I was recommended to try Dave's Trailer Sales in Glen Burnie, MD.

I was not disappointed. These guys know their boat trailers! I ended up with a tandem Load Rite Elite rated for 5400 lbs with electric over hydraulic (EOH) brakes that was a perfect fit for the CD 22 and worked great with the brake system in my truck.

On the way home to Springfield, IL the EOH was a godsend over the mountains and the boat rode perfectly on the trailer.

I do not work for anyone I spoke of above. Just passing in info that about a good trailer.

Good luck.

CD 22 Cruiser "FRESH FISH: 2018 to present.
CD 16 Angler "OPA": 2013 to 2019.
gstraub

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you happen to have the model number of the Load Rite trailer you wound up with? I can't quite narrow it down with the description. The folks down here are Load Rite dealers so that would make it easy to compare.

Thanks!
Gerhard
dgeorges

City/Region: Highlands Ranch
State or Province: CO
Vessel Name: FRESH FISH
Photos: FRESH FISH
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

model #22T5400TG2

Elite series with bunkers, not wheel rollers.

EOH brakes with discs on all four wheels (this is important: if you get drum brakes you'll have to clean them every few thousand miles, so disc owrks better).

I'm towing with a 2012 Ford F150 that has the factory tow package and the factory brake controls. You trailer guy should know what kind of actuators you'll need (it's a small $100 aftermarket unit that bolts to the trailer near the battery that ties the trailer and truck brakes together so they work as one unit).

Here's how to pick a trailer: http://www.loadrite.com/trailers-101/

Here's the link to they type of trailer I bought that works great on the CD 22: http://www.loadrite.com/trailers/load-rite-galvanized-tandem-axle-sa-bunk/ The model is not listed their, but your dealer can help you with the specifics.

Good luck!

D
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dgeorges wrote:
I picked up a CD22 Cruiser in Deale, MD a few weeks ago that needed a tandem trailer. Every time I asked about a good boat trailer sales outfit, I was recommended to try Dave's Trailer Sales in Glen Burnie, MD.

I was not disappointed. These guys know their boat trailers! I ended up with a tandem Load Rite Elite rated for 5400 lbs with electric over hydraulic (EOH) brakes that was a perfect fit for the CD 22 and worked great with the brake system in my truck.

On the way home to Springfield, IL the EOH was a godsend over the mountains and the boat rode perfectly on the trailer.

I do not work for anyone I spoke of above. Just passing in info that about a good trailer.

Good luck.

I got a trailer from Dave's for a RIB I used to own. Just told them what boat it was for and they prepared a nice trailer for the boat dealer. Price was very good too (IMO).
gstraub

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks folks. This is all really helpful information. It's looking like we could make the proposed trailer work, but it isn't ideal, but oh so close. Too bad because it was one of their left over 2018s, so the price was good. Oh well...

Gerhard
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: