The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Anchoring/Mooring - HELP!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Bill

City/Region: Baltimore
State or Province: MD
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:47 pm    Post subject: Anchoring/Mooring - HELP! Reply with quote

Hi folks, new here and looking at a 16 Cruiser... but I am totally perplexed and hope someone can help. I am a big guy, thinking I am not getting through the front hatch (well I might get halfway through but I will need the fire department to extract me), and if I walk around the gunnel, I suspect the the boat will turtle. So tell me, how do you set the anchor, or tie up in a slip if those two options mentioned above are out? I am totally perplexed. Thanks in advance!
lloyds

City/Region: sublimity
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: undecided
Photos: 1996 22 Cruiser (Lloyds)
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to the Arima Owners Forum and you will find explanations how they do it with caribiners. No, your boat won't go turtle, not a chance. Just don't go forward in a surf.
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On tying to the dock I was going to say just use or install mid cleats but then I saw you are in Baltimore . I take it you are using the stern tie and pilling with half length finger piers? I lived there in my early teens and my job on dads Christ craft 28 was to go forward and toss the rope over the pilling's. We came up with a method were we tossed the loops over the poles and then backed up to the dock, after tying the stern to the dock we would go to the front hatch and just reach out enough to tighten up the ropes. You could run your front lines from the pilings to the front cleats then back to the side of the cabin. That way the anchor point would be at the bow ( at the cleats) but you pull the slack and tie it off at the back wall of the cabin. You might even want to use a SS ring at the cleats to pass the rope thru. Interesting problem, should be fun to solve. Sure glad that we have the right type of docks on the west coast!!
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Anchoring/Mooring - HELP! Reply with quote

Big Bill wrote:
Hi folks, new here and looking at a 16 Cruiser... but I am totally perplexed and hope someone can help. I am a big guy, thinking I am not getting through the front hatch (well I might get halfway through but I will need the fire department to extract me), and if I walk around the gunnel, I suspect the the boat will turtle. So tell me, how do you set the anchor, or tie up in a slip if those two options mentioned above are out? I am totally perplexed. Thanks in advance!

Check in with Mark (use name Marco Flamingo). He devised a very slick way to anchor his 16.

Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Bill,

Your size negates your boat choice for practical reasons
stated and more.

You need a bigger boat.

Aye.

dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does your boat have a bow rail?

"...we're all in the same boat..."
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My anchoring system was a little complex to install, but it has paid for itself many times over. I often singlehand and don't want to go out on the foredeck. Pictures are in my photo folder under ground tackle. The only thing I wish I had was the "dip and dump" style of bow pulpit. Launching and retrieving from the cockpit would be even easier with my system. I still have to go on the foredeck sometimes, and if I didn't have a bow rail I would certainly buy one.

I would think that you would have to weigh more than 900 lbs. and hang out over the side deck as far as possible to get the 16 to turn over. I heard that the smallest Bayliner with a flying bridge (now discontinued) could turn turtle if four passengers on the bridge looked over the same side. So maybe four passengers out on one side deck of a CD 16 hanging out over the water could do it.

The CD 16 took some time to get used to. Walk from one side to the other and the boat rocks? What's up with that? Power through some chop and you can hear it slapping through the hull? Stand up and bump your head? Okay, it's a 16 foot boat (actually 15' 10"). Tippy comes with the territory.

The positives can make up for it, at least in my case. I got 20.7 miles per gallon towing 1,500 miles back from Lake Powell via Lake Yellowstone this fall with a 4 cyl. Hyundai. I hardly notice that I'm towing. For the year, I logged over 600 miles in the boat at 6.5 mpg. I spent +25 nights at anchor (no electrical hookups, marina fees, barking dogs, country western music, generators, etc.). Gone aground? Walk to the other side of the boat and push yourself off with the boat hook.

Every boat is a compromise.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Pacificcoast101

City/Region: Torrance
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: No Pressure
Photos: No Pressure
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJmDUDvz5pQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZBDfwHIEMo

Southern California Marine Life
https://www.flickr.com/photos/southern_california_marine_life/albums

My Photos
https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/?pseudoid=%7bAC42A235-FD0A-464A-B559-1CC5843C95FB%7d&name=Phil+Garner&st=11&mode=0&comp=1
Big Bill

City/Region: Baltimore
State or Province: MD
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:56 pm    Post subject: Thank you Reply with quote

Thanks to all for getting back to me. Huge help. Yeah the problem is the bow is not easily accessed. To parallel dock is easy, but I see problems when docking where you pull/back into a slip with a finger pier or dropping a hook. I did find a video that gave me some ideas on anchoring, it is here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5b4G0IlWwcE

Mark - I really appreciate the last paragraph of your post, we are in sync.

Best to all, Bill
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: