View previous topic :: View next topic  
Easyvictor.14

City/Region: Dallas
State or Province: TX
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Easy Victor
Photos: Easy Victor
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:22 pm    Post subject: Port Aransas to South Padre Reply with quote

Thinking about making the round trip in November. Any insights or experiences?
1981 T Craft 26 center console
1981 Silverton 34
1979 Chapparal 187
Many, many other small aluminum, wood and fiberglass toys!!!
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Port Aransas to South Padre Reply with quote

Easyvictor.14 wrote:
Thinking about making the round trip in November. Any insights or experiences?

We live in the SPI/Port Isabel area, and have made that trip. First the good news: once you get across Corpus Christi Bay, you can't get lost. Wink

There is fuel at the southeast side of that bay, as you come into the ICW. That will be the only fuel until Port Mansfield... and there may or may not be someone there to sell you fuel.

Much of that stretch from Corpus Christi Bay to the Port Mansfield Channel is "the land cut." Not a lot to see, but you may get a glimpse of some exotic game as you pass through the King Ranch area.

South of Port Mansfield, the ICW is marked with green on port, but there aren't corresponding reds on the other side to match each green - about every 4th or 5th will have a red. It will look like you have LOTS of water, but the Laguna Madre is very shallow in many areas.

About the only commercial traffic you will encounter will be tugs pushing barges - they are generally single or double width, usually two long. Talk to them on Channel 16 to be sure what side they want you to pass on... depending on wind, they may be crabbed, taking up more of the channel. You won't see a lot of them, but just a heads up.

At the Baffin Bay area, there are rocks that may or may not be showing depending on tide, near the west side of the ICW. They are marked on the charts, but just another heads up.

When you get to the South Padre Island area, the main marina on the island is Sea Ranch (towards the south end of the island) - after you pass under the large causeway, diagonal to the SSE. This part of the bay generally has about 6' depths (south of the causeway). When you cross under the power-lines, look to the east and you will see Sea Ranch Marina - there is a marked channel to get in there. I would call them ahead of time to make sure they have a transient slip available. Ph: 956-761-7777. It is mostly commercial excursion boats and some yearly leases. Gas available.

To be very frank, South Padre Island and Port Isabel area is a tourist destination... but, we don't see many cruising boats here because there isn't much between Corpus and SPI... the reason the marina isn't set up for transients. You could also try Jim's Pier, on the small boat channel on the bay side of SPI. They have a few slips, but it is mostly fishing charter guides who use them.

There is another marina in Port Isabel (South Point - Sea Ranch 2), about the same situation, with very little transient services. They do have the only travel lift in the area and offer repairs. The City of Port Isabel has slips with no services for rent in the Fingers area in Port Isabel. Gas is available at White Sands Restaurant. Note that there is a swing-bridge that crosses the ICW at Port Isabel - it will open on demand on weekends (Channel 12 - call them Long Island Swing Bridge or they may not respond) and on the hour weekdays (you still have to call for an opening).

If you want to anchor out, I can give you some suggestions - drop me a note. Any location will be weather dependent.

SPI has hotels, beach shops, bars and restaurants - the beach is the big draw.

The Gulf ICW ends less than a half mile from our house, in the Port Isabel Turning Basin. I have been contacted by a few folks in the past 20 years who want to "check off" that stretch of the ICW. Many think the ICW goes into Brownsville (about 15 miles inland)... not true. The Port of Brownsville is "commercial traffic only) - there is a dilapidated sign that may or may not be up outside the Port on the Brownsville Ship Channel that says "No recreational traffic). There are zero small boat facilities there. Again, it is a dredged channel from the Gulf to the Brownsville for commercial traffic.

I don't mean to sound bleak about this. We love living here - we see dolphins daily, the climate is sub-tropical, it is a small town. Nice to have a dock on a canal right outside our back door. If it were closer to Corpus, or if there were other nearby places to cruise, this would be a major cruising destination. We have friends who love the fishing here - mostly in the flats. There are a LOT of flat bottom small fishing boats here.

Depending on when you plan to make this trip, fall here is generally beautiful. We are now into Day 13 of gray skies, wet and colder than normal, and a cold north wind. This is the longest stretch of this kind of weather I've seen since we've been here. Northers will generally blow in from late November to mid-March and will be around 3 days of chilly (relative) weather and north wind... and then it will be gorgeous again. We are supposed to see some sun again by Thursday - I am SO ready for that.

We did the SPI to Port A round trip a couple times over the years. Other then just enjoying being on the boat, there isn't a lot between.

If you are making an excursion of it, you can go up the Arroyo Colorado as far as the Port of Harlingen. You may find a transient dock around Arroyo City - check with the bait shops there. We used to go up the Arroyo once a year or so and anchor out in one of the backwaters (not on a weekend - the early morning fishing boats launching can get a bit crazy).

Real charts of the area are hard to come by, but the Hot Spot Fishing Charts will give you an idea of where all the shallows are.

Hope that gets you started. Drop me a note if you want to talk more.

Jim B.
Yakmandu

City/Region: Lake Lanier
State or Province: GA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Vessel Name: Miss April
Photos: Pops GO!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a small craft sailing event called the Texas 200 that sails from Port Isabel, TX to Port Lavaca, TX. The event occurs in June and covers about 200 miles. I have sailed it in my Hobie Adventure Island three times. The water is skinny and the wind builds to the mid 20’s each day.

I would suggest visiting their web site to see the route and campsites during the five day event. It is a great trip. The web site is www.texas200.com. The campsites vary each year.

One nice campsite is Army Hole is near Port O’Conner. It has a small harbor and is an abandon Army base.

I would be happy to send you some good campsites along the way - all are primitive camping.

I’m thinking of doing the trip next year in my CDory.

Easyvictor.14

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jamestxd and Pops! I grew up fishing Baffin and the land cut, but haven’t been down in 20 yrs. seems like a good nostalgia trip for November or December. I carry plenty of fuel for a one way, almost enough to round trip.
I’d probably anchor out enroute and spend a couple nights in Port Isabel.
Easyvictor.14

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about Galveston to Port Aransas and back? More to see?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: