View previous topic :: View next topic  
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:51 pm    Post subject: Navionics Update Chart Reply with quote

Just to let everyone know what the latest cartography chip is. And if you already know, congratulations!

Navionics offers a SSD micro chip which contains all the charts for the USA and Canada. That’s right, if you’re going to go to Ft Churchill, Manitoba, Canada, the chart will tell you what you need to know. Also if you’re going to San Diego Bay, or the Chesapeake Bay or .....

The number of this chip is MSD/NAVU-NI and it lists for $99. It’s offered as a update chart, but can be activated by using a C-Map, Fishing HotSpots, Garmin, Lakemaster, Lowrance, Magellan or TrakMaps chip as well as Navionics.

One activates it via a software program, Navionics Chart Updater, which doesn’t accept a non-Navionics chips for activation. Fear naught, for an e-mail to Navionics Customer Service, with pictures of the Navionics chip and the other activation chip will bring the desired activation results. And then you get to download ~6 Gbits of new charts. You also get a full year of updates. Never again will you be without the proper chart as you travel thru Canada or the USA.

I have 2 of them, one for Judy and one for me. Judy’s MFD uses the micro and mine the standard SSD. A great bargain.

Boris
JMacLeod

City/Region: Stuart
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: C-Shalom
Photos: JMacLeod
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update, Boris.

We just started using the Garmin 7610xsv with BlueChart g2 U.S. coastal and LakeVu HD maps.
So far it's been less than impressive.
Do you know if this Navionics chip is usable in that unit, and is it a big improvement over the pre-loaded maps?
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The number of this chip is MSD/NAVU-NI and it lists for $99. It’s offered as a update chart, but can be activated by using a C-Map, Fishing HotSpots, Garmin, Lakemaster, Lowrance, Magellan or TrakMaps chip as well as Navionics.

Quote:
Do you know if this Navionics chip is usable in that unit, and is it a big improvement over the pre-loaded maps?

I don't know what Boris means. To my knowledge all Garmin instruments use their proprietary blue charts only. Perhaps he is able to open this on his computer. (Navionics charts are free to browse on line)

I have that chip and am using it in a 9" RayMarine MFD. It is always hard to compare MFD charts without having them side by side. All electronic charts have some errors--their database is the NOAA database which is then modified. (Canadian Hydrographic Service. office there). Often "errors" are due to differences in base datum.

I do like the Navoinics charts--but I have managed quite well with Garmin for the last 9 or so years. Perhaps we want too much from a chart....consider where we were only 25 years ago. I remember sitting in the pilothouse of an 80 foot charter fishing boat with its skipper, looking at one of the first Trimble chart plotters and bunch of DVD's--which had the NOAA charts on them--cost: $10,000! GPS was not as accurate then as it is today. For the next 6 years, I would be still plotting degrees, minutes and seconds on the paper charts. The first recreational GPS was in available 1991.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
robhwa

City/Region: Anderson Island
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Marcia C
Photos: Problemadela
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:03 pm    Post subject: Navionics is now Garmin Reply with quote

Garmin bought out Navionics about a year ago.

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/blog/fishandhunt/garmin-acquires-navionics-marine-charts/

Not sure what this will mean in the future, but it is likely that the bargain that Navionics has been will get pricier.
JMacLeod

City/Region: Stuart
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: C-Shalom
Photos: JMacLeod
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Navionics is now Garmin Reply with quote

robhwa wrote:
Garmin bought out Navionics about a year ago.

That and the part Boris posted about being able to activate it with a Garmin chip made me wonder.
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never owned a Garmin unit, but the ad for the chip lists Garmin as one of the activating options. And if Garmin bought Navionics, I'll bet they are compatible.

I mentioned the SSD chip, but I only have Lowrance MFDs. I assume that Navionics will supply any confiuration available.

Still a great chip, anywhere in Canada or the USA.

Boris
thataway

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navoinics chips are not currently usable in Garmin chart plotters--they may be some time in the future. Furuno, RayMarine and Lawrence have had the ability to use Navionics charts in some models.

This link from the ad that Boris refers too shows compatibility for almost every brand, except Garmin!

I suspect that the use of a Garmin chip would allow you to use the Navionics charts to be used in a computer...and to tempt you to buy or update other Navionic products. Be cautious about "updates". Sometimes if you don't pay, you can no longer "play".
dgeorges

City/Region: Highlands Ranch
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: FRESH FISH
Photos: FRESH FISH
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boris is correct. I have been using Navionics+ by "paying to play" as Bob mentioned for 5 years. You only download the maps you need, instead of the whole map. This can be done on the fly from any location where wifi is available. For example: if I want to fish the East side of Lake Michigan around Manistee for those big ol nasty Chinooks staging offshore in August, I only have that area on my Lowrance HDS2. That facilitates faster regen speeds and faster response from my unit. I feel that the $99 per year to get updates is worth it. However, if you don't want an update when your subscription expires, you don't have to buy. The charts don't stop working, they still reside on your chip.

I work for a major sporting goods retailer part time, and all the Garmin units we sell state on the box that they are compatible with Navionics+. Ya still gotta get the subscription, but, to me it's worth it to have updated maps.

D

CD 22 Cruiser "FRESH FISH: 2018 to present.
CD 16 Angler "OPA": 2013 to 2019.
thataway

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dgeorges wrote:

Quote:
I work for a major sporting goods retailer part time, and all the Garmin

units we sell state on the box that they are compatible with Navionics+. Ya still gotta get the subscription, but, to me it's worth it to have updated maps.

How do you put the Navionics charts onto a Garmin chart plotter? The only way I know of was to buy the Navionics sonarChart at $149 a pop.

Quote:
27 February 2015

Navionics has released a new SonarChart™ chart card for use with several Garmin GPS plotters and handhelds.

Featuring extraordinary bottom contour detail of up to 1 foot in the US and Canada, the new version of SonarChart™ HD bathymetry map for use in several Garmin plotters offers the most detail available anywhere, and is great for increasing awareness of shallow waters and locating fishing areas at any depth level. The SonarChart™ card also includes navigational aids to ensure a complete resource for any boating activity.

“For the first time, Garmin owners can enjoy the benefits of our innovative, award-winning SonarChart™ cartography.” said Don Black, senior vice president of global sales and marketing, Navionics. “For a very modest investment, boaters can benefit from innovative, award-winning SonarChart™, the most up-to-date cartography available, without having to abandon the familiar look and feel of their current equipment.”

Not only can Garmin customers use SonarChart™ on their plotters, they can record sonar logs and upload them to Navionics to improve their local charts while also benefiting from the entire boating community’s contributions. SonarChart™ harnesses the power of the Navionics Community by accepting sonar logs from a wide range of plotters and mobile devices to ensure charts are up to date and accurate. Uploaded sonar logs from all users are integrated with existing data to generate new SonarChart™ every day. Garmin sonar recordings take about one week to be integrated by Navionics and made available for download with SonarChart™. Updated SonarChart™ can be downloaded anytime, free for one year with the Freshest Data Service.

SonarChart™ is available on mobile and PC too! Boaters simply download Navionics Boating for free on the Apple iPhone or iPad, or compatible Android devices, from iTunes and Google Play and then purchase charts for their region. SonarChart™ is included. Charts can also be viewed online using the free Navionics WebApp which allows visitors to tap the SonarChart™ icon to see the same detail available for Garmin GPS chartplotters.

The new SonarChart™ HD bathymetry map for Garmin plotters card is currently available for regions within the US and Canada at $149, with other regions of the world planned for release progressively throughout 2015. Marine and lakes data are included on the same 4 GB MSD card, which offers a great advantage for people who enjoy boating on both coastal and inland waters.

Verify that your plotter is compatible with this product here, which is continuously updated.

Currently the Navionics/Garmin site states:
Quote:
On your plotter: Garmin plotters are not compatible with Navionics cards at the moment. If you have the chance to use one of the many Navionics compatible plotters on the market, you can purchase Navionics Updates and unlock it with your Garmin card (which you will still be able to use). You will have access to SonarChart, our award-winning 1 ft/0.5 m HD bathymetry chart and all the other Navionics+ content and features at half price!

I would appreciate your detailing how to currently use the Navionics chip mentioned (Which I own) on a Garmin chart plotter (The only one left is a little older, but it does not read the Navionics chip)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: