Simrad vs Garmin vs Raymarine

View previous topic :: View next topic  
joc1212

City/Region: OAK HARBOR
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Last Time ll
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject: Simrad vs Garmin vs Raymarine Reply with quote

Looking to replace 2005 vintage Raymarine Nav electronics on 25 CD.
Don't want straight touch screen...hybrid is better in small boat.
All charts about the same radar is the issue....
Anyone have any real world experience comparing the new "solid state radars"?
All the above manufacturers have a MFD that I'd be happy with...its down to who has the best radar.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today, all of the manufactures have solid state Radar's. I have the latest RayMarine "Quantum". Garmin has the "Fantom" and Navico (Simrad etc) has the G3/4. The G3/4 has been around the longest. I think the RayMarine is better for longer ranges. I have not used the Garmin.

On our most recent trip, I ran the radar most of the time, to learn its capabilities. I have one touch only screen and one hybrid. We had mostly calm waters, so I rarely used the knobs and buttons. The touch screen worked very well.

I believe that Garmin is easiest to use. But if you have a RayMarine auto pilot then you best stick with RayMarine.

I suggest that you either go to a boat show, or show room where all of the MFD's are set up and see which you like.

At some point Active Captain will probably be integrated into Garmin and Navionics charts. That may be an advantage. I still use the I pad for Active Captain.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We love our Raymarine Quantum Q24C 18" Radar. Every trip out in the Pacific Ocean this summer we had heavy fog to deal with. It is nice to see the boats around you, to keep an eye on them and anticipate their movement just before they come into view in the fog.

We bought Raymarine not because it is the best but because we sampled all the other units at multiple stores and found Raymarine to be the easiest unit for us to navigate through the different screens. Our experience may be different than yours and so I am not going to say that Raymarine is a better product or easier to use than other products. It is just the best for us personally to use.

Take your time and sample all the available products out there at your favorite marine electronics store and make a decision that works best for you.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joconnor, I only know of one place where you can see all the different radar units set up side by side. Rodger's Marine Electronics in Portland, near the west end of the airport (PDX). Might be worth a call or a trip.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: