Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
D&RLuke

City/Region: Meigs
State or Province: GA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Salty Peach
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: Wives and the 22 without an enclosed head Reply with quote

This topic I'm sure has been addressed but I can't find it. If it has please direct me to the archive. My wife and I are ready to purchase a Cdory and she wants a 25 or tomcat with the enclosed head, I'd be ok with the 22. Can any of the ladies chime in about their experiences with the 22 and extended cruising? Thanks We're looking forward to becoming C-Brats.
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only speak for Judy. Her first requirement when we bought Journey On was for a separate closed head. Never regretted that requirement, especially since I've gotten older. And the head compartment has gotten smaller.

We've had all the various options: porta-potty under the v-berth, porta-potty in a seperate enclosure and a head with a marine toilet feeding a holding tand. Judy wasn't going back and we bought a 25.

Boris
Pedromo

City/Region: Oxnard
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1989
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Casa
Photos: C-Casa
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m considering a 25 just because of the head issue...!!!
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a wife issue, a common sense issue -- NO marine head on board with the associated holding tanks, plumbing and macerators. Get an "AirHead" or similar composting system. Saves tank space, and headaches. See Pat and Patty's Daydream ( a CD25 ) experiences. They will surely pop in here too.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

srbaum

City/Region: Portsmouth
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D&RLuke
I really like my 22, with the porta-potty. It is the best boat of the 70 some odd boats that I have owned and Joan and I have cruised it a lot over the last eight years. Several weeks ago, Joan got me a 26, so that we COULD have a head compartment. Also we will have more space to carry more stuff, for a bit longer cruises.
Now I am hoping that I WILL love the 26 as much as I have the 22...

OSPREY (Ex ADITI) 2007 26 Cape Cruiser 2018
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patty here. We had a 22' for 3 years and I never minded the porta potty under the V-berth, but I know it is an issue for many, usually women. Since 2005 we have owned a 25' C-dory and opted for an Airhead composting toilet. We. Love. It. Properly maintained there is no odor, it literally decomposts to what looks like the commercial fertilizer you can buy in bags. and you never have to pump out. We recently completed 8 months and 5428 miles of continuous use on the Great Loop and only had to dispose of the solids 4 times. Cannot say enough good things about it.

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
Not a wife issue, a common sense issue -- NO marine head on board with the associated holding tanks, plumbing and macerators. Get an "AirHead" or similar composting system. Saves tank space, and headaches. See Pat and Patty's Daydream ( a CD25 ) experiences.

So true Harvey. I also thought that I wanted a marine head and with our new R23, I now see why people aren't so fond of them for the very reasons Harvey pointed out. The porta potties are much simpler with virtually no smell. Disgust

I do love the hot shower however.

Peter

Email: pjamero@gmail.com
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife has no problem with the porta potti on our 22. Depending on where we are, the porta potti is usually in the cockpit. We sometimes put it inside the cabin by the aft door at night. The place under the v-berth is only used to store the potti when the boat is being trailered.

If I had a 25 I'd probably have a porta-potti in the head just because it is sooooo much simpler to maintain (but then we usually only cruise for a few days at a time).

Last edited by ssobol on Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Wives and the 22 without an enclosed head Reply with quote

D&RLuke wrote:
This topic I'm sure has been addressed but I can't find it. If it has please direct me to the archive. My wife and I are ready to purchase a Cdory and she wants a 25 or tomcat with the enclosed head, I'd be ok with the 22. Can any of the ladies chime in about their experiences with the 22 and extended cruising? Thanks We're looking forward to becoming C-Brats.

If you just buy the 25 or T-C you will save a step in the 2-3 footitis Wink

and have a happy wife Mr. Green

I have never had an Issue with the head or tank or macerator & it gets used 10 months a year Wink
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on what gets said, some think the main difference between that 22 and the 25 is... the enclosed head. That head, with hot and cold running water/shower is great (would you rent a motel room without a bathroom??), but the big difference between the two is: space. Yes, space for an enclosed head, but also space for more storage, a bigger berth, more galley counter space, more headroom, cockpit lounging space, but most importantly: elbow room. Really, you can pass by each other in the aisle. Think that isn't important? Block your wife from getting through a doorway some time and see how that works for you. Twisted Evil

When we went to the 2006 Seattle Boat Show to pick a C-Dory (these were "the good ol' days when C-Dory had one of every model they make on display), we went into a 22... I thought it was great. And then into the 25... my wife said, "This one." Even better.

We spent up to 6 months at a time cruising on that great boat - and the elbow room made it very workable.

Now that you have received several opinions about different head options, let me offer another: I am not a fan of typical marine heads, with pump-type plumbing where most use raw water to flush. It is that saltwater and the critters enclosed that starts stinkin' up those hoses. Those who think some kind of air-head is the best way to go... well, have you ever been in a modern pit type toilet? Yeah, in spite of all the hype, they stink. Air heads that I have been around definitely omit an odor (that's part of why they use a fan). And, you may not be going to a pump-out with one, but you are dumping your urine somewhere... because it doesn't stay in that air-head. Now, it may be in a marina toilet, or some just pour it overboard. Try that in a protected area like the Florida Keys... we'll take up a collection for your bail money.

Our choice: the Sealand RV/marine head. It is kinda like a giant porta-potty in that the tank is under the toilet. It uses a small amount of fresh water to flush with, so less opportunity for critters dying in and stinking up the hoses. Most marinas have pump-out stations. If you are off-shore or in an area where it is acceptable, you can use the macerator to pump overboard.

One more thought about this type of head: there is a reason that every RV of significant size uses this type of toilet... it works. Reliably. You put the RV stuff in it and you eliminate the odor.

OK, enough of that crappy talk. The 25 will require a bigger tow vehicle (ours weighed 8,700 pounds on the trailer). It will ride more comfortably than the 22 in similar conditions. It will use more fuel than the 22... because it is bigger and heavier. That "3 feet" will get you another foot of beam and over 30% more interior volume. 25s generally come with a fridge, a 30 amp electrical system, 110 outlets, hot and cold pressure water... and more space. Two built-in seats in the cockpit. We once had 7 people in our cockpit. Yes, good friends.

I never regretted the fact that we spent more $$ for a 25. It just worked for our cruising style.

And now for this commercial announcement: the gentleman who bought our 25 has it back on the market (look for Wild Blue). Look in the Grand Adventures section of this forum for "The Cruising Adventures of Wild Blue and Crew" to get an idea of how we used the boat. That boat is a champ. If I were looking to get a trailerable cruising boat, I would buy it back in a heartbeat.

There are other boats in that size, but none have the efficiency,economy, and functionality of the CD-25 at its price point.
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can tell you the Mrs took one step into a 22 and said hell no when she realized there was no head. Now with two granDAUGHTERS, getting a little older ourselves and the larger volume overall of the 25, we would never go smaller nor would we go porta-potty. The head is not that big a deal to maintain, IMO. We have the Sealand unit noted above. It provides about 9gallons of storage, enough for two people for a couple/few days. Plus with the addition of a small generator you have hot showers.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James said,

Quote:
"Now that you have received several opinions about different head options, let me offer another: I am not a fan of typical marine heads, with pump-type plumbing where most use raw water to flush. It is that saltwater and the critters enclosed that starts stinkin' up those hoses. Those who think some kind of air-head is the best way to go... well, have you ever been in a modern pit type toilet? Yeah, in spite of all the hype, they stink. Air heads that I have been around definitely omit an odor (that's part of why they use a fan). And, you may not be going to a pump-out with one, but you are dumping your urine somewhere... because it doesn't stay in that air-head. Now, it may be in a marina toilet, or some just pour it overboard. Try that in a protected area like the Florida Keys... we'll take up a collection for your bail money."

Jim, I have to admit that I have not been around very many "AirHead" composting toilets, but I have been around some. There is a significant difference between a "pit toilet" and a composting toilet. For those from the PNW, the composting toilets that the park system has on both Jones and Sucia Islands are considerably less odoriferous than the pit toilets, of say the forest camps or the pit toilets at the parks up in BC. The pit toilets have to be pumped out occasionally, the composting ones don't get pumped, but do get serviced occasionally. The liquids drain off, and the solids get dried stirred and converted naturally.

Yes in the Airhead, the liquid has to be dumped more frequently, so there needs to be a place for that to be ecologically soundly done.

Your mention of the Sealand RV/marine head sounds like a very good compromise, although I would probably still go with the AirHead at this point.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Last edited by hardee on Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
ssobol

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The towability of the 22 vs. the 25 is one of the bigger reasons why we got it. Being able to easily take it to different places hundreds of miles apart is a big plus in our book. The economy of operating it doesn't hurt either. For where, when, and how we use it, the 22 suits us and we aren't spring chickens either. We don't have any problems with the elbow room. Usually it is just the two of us, but occasionally we have more people aboard, but it is usually for short periods (i.e. a few hours).

If the time comes when we have more time for cruising and live in a place that is more amendable to it, we will probably get a bigger boat. Whether it is a CD-25 or something else, well... we'll see.
D&RLuke

City/Region: Meigs
State or Province: GA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Salty Peach
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate all the comments. It looks like I'll be on the hunt for a 25 especially when my Lady reads this. I was thinking about the mobility, cost and efficiency of a 22. But it looks like size and a proper composting toilet wins the game on this one. Now I've got to find one in the southeast.
ssobol

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D&RLuke wrote:
I appreciate all the comments. It looks like I'll be on the hunt for a 25 especially when my Lady reads this. I was thinking about the mobility, cost and efficiency of a 22. But it looks like size and a proper composting toilet wins the game on this one. Now I've got to find one in the southeast.

Maybe you ought to actually discuss the situation with her and not make assumptions (get it?).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: