The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Boat Cover for 23' Venture

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stevekaiser

City/Region: Lopez Island
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Chimo
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: Boat Cover for 23' Venture Reply with quote

Are there any ready-made boat covers that fit a C-dory 23' Venture or is everyone using a universal cover? I contacted 17 boat cover suppliers and it appears no one has a pattern for this boat. Is a custom cover worth the expense?

Steve
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angola canvas has a pattern for the C-Dory 22. They are easy to work with for changes/mods to their standard pattern. Don't know about the 23, but it might be the same pattern.

The cover for may 22 was about $1100 including a couple of custom mods and a sending it back to get another custom mod done.

FWIW, tell them to extend the skirt of the cover about 28 inches or so (depends on your trailer). Have the cover extend all the way to the trailer fenders, not just to the rub strip per the Angola pattern. It's not that expensive to get it extended. But you'll save on shipping if you have it done from the get go vs. having it reworked.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Extending the cover will also save the topsides from UV exposure. I would also add the cockpit cover to include the splashwell and the OB hoods.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

RobMcClain

City/Region: Summerlin, NV
State or Province: NV
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Freedom
Photos: Freedom
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spoke to Angola a few different times about making a cover for my Venture. To my surprise, each time I found them less than anxious to even discuss the job. They wouldn't work from the C22 template and enlarge it in certain areas and flatly said "no" unless I could either bring in the boat for measurements or provide a list of very specific measurements along with a very specific drawing of the hull and cabin. Since we live in Nevada taking the boat to Angola wasn't feasible. Because of the radar dome, extended bow pulpit and a few other aspects I chose not to do the measurements since if there was a misunderstanding in some aspect I might end up with a cover that didn't effectively do the job. Had I been able to get an official drawing of the hull I might have given it a try, but I couldn't even get my hands on one of those. Best of luck - I probably gave up way too soon but was just frustrated....

Rob
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Angola did the cover for my 22 cruiser, they did have a pattern but I wanted specific things. I took pictures and marked measurements on them and sent it to them. When the cover came there were some issues and changes I wanted. I did some more pictures and marked the cover and sent it back. For the changes Angola only charged me for the extra matrial I wanted and the shipping. I am quite satisfied with the result.
Yakmandu

City/Region: Lake Lanier
State or Province: GA
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Vessel Name: Miss April
Photos: Pops GO!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:53 pm    Post subject: Bimini Option Reply with quote

I’ve been looking for a storage cover for my 19 Angler. Here is a link to the best pre-made option I have found. I would only use it for storage, not for use during trailering. I purchased a Bimini from NationalBimini, a sister company, and was very pleased with their service and quality.

Just thought I would pass it along...

https://www.nationalboatcovers.com/boat-covers/cuddy-cabin-hard-top/23'6%22--LENGTH--120%22--WIDTH.html

Sorry, can’t get the URL to post correctly.

JOHN C

City/Region: Cleveland
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Mighty Wench
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject: 10 0z vinyl coated polyester Reply with quote

This stuff is used for truck tarps - it is very strong.

The good part is that it is glued together using a special contact cement with results strong enough to handle yanking on ropes with a 2:1 purchase so it is within my capability to make a fitted cover (just cut and glue to tighten it up or allow for projections). The "grommets" are loops of material glued to the edges - again strong enough to handle almost anything.

I made a fitted cover that is on its 3rd year out of this stuff that cost a little more than having the boat stretch wrapped.

hardee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 10 0z vinyl coated polyester Reply with quote

JOHN C wrote:
This stuff is used for truck tarps - it is very strong.

The good part is that it is glued together using a special contact cement with results strong enough to handle yanking on ropes with a 2:1 purchase so it is within my capability to make a fitted cover (just cut and glue to tighten it up or allow for projections). The "grommets" are loops of material glued to the edges - again strong enough to handle almost anything.

I made a fitted cover that is on its 3rd year out of this stuff that cost a little more than having the boat stretch wrapped.

JohnC, What stuff, where, please? and if you have a link that would be so helpful.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

JOHN C

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:45 pm    Post subject: http://tarps.mauritzon.net/viewitems/vinyl-fabrics/coverene- Reply with quote

http://tarps.mauritzon.net/viewitems/vinyl-fabrics/coverene-vinyl-coated-fabrics

This is the place where I bought mine. If you go to Seattle fabrics, it will cost way way way too much.

You will need a heat gun, acetone, and H-66 glue. The process needs to be done outside or in an open garage - the fumes are nasty - and wear rubber gloves (I used the neoprene you can get anywhere). The process is clean with acetone on both surfaces, apply glue to both surfaces, let dry till a little tacky, then stick together (it behaves a lot like contact cement) and heat with heat gun. You will know if you did it right if the joint is really really strong.

This is great stuff. I also made a "bibb" for our boat out of this stuff - an idea I copies from someone on this site. It handles 70 mph winds and improves gas mileage by about 2 mpg which, although that doesn't sound like much, will pay for the material pretty quickly.

John
hardee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John, Thank you for the link. Is the fabric you used, this:?

Red Coverene Vinyl Coated Fabrics 10 oz per yard

Seems like that is too easy. I sure like the idea of the Bib. I have wanted to do something like that for the front windows for towing. Maybe that with some sort of cushioning material (PeLite) or something else waterproof would do the trick.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Two Bears

City/Region: Orofino
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Two Bears
Photos: Two Bears
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,
What does your bib look like? Can you post a picture. Two mpg over the 9.5 I've been getting is a huge upgrade.

Lets see, 7,000 miles on this springs Florida gathering would have saved me 128 gallons of fuel at $3.50 is nearly $500 on that trip alone.

Chuck

JOHN C

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:28 am    Post subject: bibb Reply with quote

https://mightywench.blogspot.com/2018/08/georgian-bay-north-channel-canada.html We got about 12 mpg over the 700 miles or so of that trip vs 8 to 10 (depending on winds).

http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=26335 is the idea I shamelessly copied. It turns out someone else did this for his Rossy that I didn't know about previously with similar results. https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RF-246Owners/conversations/topics/27731.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: