The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Disc Brake Replacement

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:59 pm    Post subject: Disc Brake Replacement Reply with quote

We’ve had Journey On for 12 years, in which time I’ve made sure the brakes work, a most important item when one is hauling that boat. Given the state of the brakes, I finally decided to replace the damn things.

Here’s the bill of materials:
1. Kodiak Boat Trailer Integral Hydraulic Disc Brake DAC 5 Bolt 3500# Axle, P/N 2/HRCM-10-DAC. I selected Kodiak because they were (mostly) American made and the price was reasonable. I selected a unit with the hub integral with the disk because of the price. Separate disks and hubs were substantially more expensive. They’re cad plated. The price for 2 sets, enough for 2 axles was $580 through e-bay.
2. Timken bearings. I had replaced the original bearings with Timken and they gave no trouble. The Kodiak disk brakes came with Chinese bearings and I’ve had trouble with those. The Kodiak bearings are larger than original. Cost ~$100.
3. Kodiak oil bearing kits(P/N 2/HRCM-10-DAC.) Oil bearing lubrication has worked well for the last 12 years, so let’s keep going. Price: $50. See the assembly note.
4. New seals. These are the E-Z Loader rubber covered seals, original. Cost ~$20. I forget the P/N.
5. New brake lines, stainless steel. I took the old ones down and asked them to duplicate them, including the flexible hoses to the calipers. I was doing pretty good until I asked them to replicate the long line that runs down the frame, that was expensive. Cost: ~$400 (with discount.)

I’m not going to add that up because it hurts.

There are 3 pictures of the assembly process: before, during and after. Not each step is shown; I feel that a reasonable mechanic could figure it out.

Next was the removal of the old parts and assembly of the new. The brake lines came off easily when heated. The old disks/hubs came right off, obviously. Now I had to remove the old caliper carrier, which is shown below. Note the hammer below. The seal sleeve on the hubs looked good, so I left them alone.

Before putting on the new parts, I sprayed the rusty parts in back of the hub with Rust-oleum Rust Reformer, covered by Rust-oleum Cold Galvanizing Compound. Next I installed the caliper brackets, using grade 8 bolts, painted as above.

Now the hubs go on. The hubs come with Chinese bearings installed. If you’re comfortable with those, leave them be. I replaced them with Timken bearings, with which I’ve had no trouble. To replace the bearings, I took the hubs to a machine shop. Note that the outer bearing should be in place before you install the oil lube kit. I found that out the hard way.

With all bearings and seals installed the hubs went to with no trouble. They’re a bit longer than the original hubs, but still fit. Installed the lube kits and then the calipers.

The brake lines went on with no trouble, once I figured out what line went where. Bled the lines by running the pump and cracking the bleed fittings in sequence. Took ½ can of brake fluid.

Job done, time to install the wheels. The kit supplied new nuts, but used the old wheels. I had LT truck tires installed: Falken Wildpeak H/T P235/75R-15. I was tired of the trailer tires blowing out at random intervals, with no warning. Proved to be a good move, since this summer’s trip of 3000 mi was the first in a long time with NO blowouts.

And the brakes worked well.

Brakes Before

Complete Disassembly

Shining new brakes

Boris
DavidM

City/Region: Punta Gorda
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job, pictures and description. As I understand it you just replaced the hub and integral disk, bearings as well as the brake lines. You reused the calipers.

Did you consider stainless steel disks and if so why did you go with plated?

I have a tandem axle trailer with drum brakes on one axle actuated by a surge cylinder. I am considering:

1. Adding drum brakes to the other axle, or
2. Converting to disk brakes, and
3. Converting to electric over hydraulic actuation.

The price tag goes up for each step!!!!

David
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The calipers came with the kit.

Stainless rotors are out of my price bracket. Used the bottom of the line.

The price goes up, but when you want to stop, it's worth it. Especially when that Chevvy Cruise pulls in front and then slows down. Though I question if you need discs on a 22. Remember, I'm pulling ~9000 lbs.

Boris
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job. Got to stop safely. Our lines need replacing. I like your idea of taking the old ones in for replacement. Stainless or nothing.
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job!
Big dave

City/Region: Vancouver
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Raven Dancer
Photos: Raven Dancer
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Boris you have been busy ! Looks like you coved all your bases for stopping. I did the same thing a couple years ago, except for tire replacement.
It was nice spending time with you Judy and Tim in the San Juan’s this summer. Stay in touch and perhaps we can get together again.
Dave & Ruthi
Raven Dancer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: