Yakmandu

City/Region: Lake Lanier
State or Province: GA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Vessel Name: Miss April
Photos: Pops GO!
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple related questions regarding twin engines...

Does a dual engine setup negate the need for trim tabs?

How does a dual engine setup affect fuel economy compared to a single engine setup?

This is a very informative thread. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience.

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have dual engines, but I don't see how this would negate the need for trim tabs. In fact, it might make trim tabs more important because of the extra weight on the transom. 2 singles have to weigh more than 1 bigger engine.
NORO LIM

City/Region: Olympia
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: NORO LIM (sold 12/12/14)
Photos: NORO LIM
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssobol wrote:
I don't have dual engines, but I don't see how this would negate the need for trim tabs. In fact, it might make trim tabs more important because of the extra weight on the transom. 2 singles have to weigh more than 1 bigger engine.

If you compare various brands and hps, I think you will find that twins can be as light or lighter than a single plus a kicker (with the twins together being equivalent hp to the single). I had twin Yamaha 70s, for instance, and the weight of some 135-150 hp singles plus a kicker of any size would have been more. Whatever the case, assuming a kicker with a single main, I don't think the weight difference is llikely to be that much of a factor.

The twins can pretty much eliminate the need for trim tabs as far as port to starboard balancing goes since you can trim each engine independently. I found that Permatrims also made bow to stern trimming easy. I never had trim tabs, and never felt as though I needed them. One less system to buy and maintain. YMMV

Chester

City/Region: home
Vessel Name: Sold to lovely couple
Photos: Chester
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know about now but when our 2005 C-Dory was built twin 40/50 Hondas weighed less than a Honda 90+kicker.
I've been told having twin skegs in the water helps in rough weather especially in a following sea.
PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess that would depend on the kicker. The little 2.5hp Suzuki is just 30 lbs.

The 40/50 hp Hondas have weighed in at 214 lbs each. 428 lbs for both.

The 2005 Honda 90 weighs 384 lbs. The next generation EFI 90 Honda starting in 2007 weighs 359 lbs.

For comparison of other brands:

Suzuki 50 is 229 lbs. vs Suzuki 90 - 352 lbs

Tohatsu 50 is 209 lbs. vs Tohatsu 90 - 359 lbs

Yamaha 50 is 214 lbs vs Yamaha 90 - 353 lbs

Evinrude E-tec 50 is 240 lbs vs E-tec 90 - 320 lbs.

cmetzenberg

City/Region: Santa Barbara
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Kanaloa
Photos: Kanaloa
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like twins for maneuvering and redundancy; i've limped home on one before. I still haven't been able to walk the boat sideways.

07' Tomcat 255 "Kanaloa"
87' Boston Whaler Guardian 17 (BlackFlag, 03-14)
robhwa

City/Region: Anderson Island
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Marcia C
Photos: Problemadela
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:54 pm    Post subject: Redundancy of twins vs. potential to damage both Reply with quote

I've got a Honda 90 with a 9.9 kicker. I had always thought it would be nice to have twins for maneuvering, but what about this...

The Anderson Island ambulance boat has twins, but hit a bar on step and lost use of both engines. They had to paddle the big boat back. Thank goodness they didn't have a patient that was time-critical.

I tip my 9.9 up and lock in place above water when I'm cruising, and it woundn't have been damaged in the same accident scenario. If I damaged the 90, I could them put the 9.9 down and move at displacement speed.

Of course, if I only damaged one of the twins, I might still be able to get on step depending on loading, so could potentially move much faster, but I don't like the idea of being able to damage all of my motors with one miss-step.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"I've got a Honda 90 with a 9.9 kicker. I had always thought it would be nice to have twins for maneuvering, but what about this...

The Anderson Island ambulance boat has twins, but hit a bar on step and lost use of both engines. They had to paddle the big boat back. Thank goodness they didn't have a patient that was time-critical."

They would have had the same result if running a single. The bar was on the chart, and hadn't moved in their last 20 trips. Chalk that one up to serious operator error.

Twins will out maneuver a single any time, and for ease, they can't be beat. Weight wise, depends on the mfg, and reliability depends on the maintenance.
JMHO and I might be biased Wink

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

robhwa

City/Region: Anderson Island
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Marcia C
Photos: Problemadela
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:09 am    Post subject: Twin motor vulnerability...all can be lost. Reply with quote

Quote:
Quote:
"I've got a Honda 90 with a 9.9 kicker. I had always thought it would be nice to have twins for maneuvering, but what about this...

The Anderson Island ambulance boat has twins, but hit a bar on step and lost use of both engines. They had to paddle the big boat back. Thank goodness they didn't have a patient that was time-critical."

Quote:
They would have had the same result if running a single. The bar was on the chart, and hadn't moved in their last 20 trips. Chalk that one up to serious operator error.

Twins will out maneuver a single any time, and for ease, they can't be beat. Weight wise, depends on the mfg, and reliability depends on the maintenance.
JMHO and I might be biased

Well, yes the bar is on the chart, but at high tide it is way down there with our huge tidal exchange. It takes several minutes more to wind through the channel, which could be critical for am ambulance boat. I also hadn't thought about both engines being damaged at once, but there you go.

My main point was...two engines down are vulnerable to one event. A larger main down and a kicker up isn't vulnerable to a single event in the same way. A 9.9 kicker is way better than a paddle.

Yes, I have experience and I like twins over singles for maneuvering, but when I want to seriously maneuver or troll, I drop my bow-mounted trolling motor. Not sure why we don't see more of these.
PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll argue the difference in maneuvering between twin outboards and a single for a 22' c-dory is overstated. Only at slow speed docking in tight quarters have I noticed any difference at all, and it's pretty minor. The push the throttles in opposite directions to "turn on a dime" trick is pretty cool, but not something that is necessary for a boat this small in my opinion. The c-dory is an easily controlled boat, with either engine configuration.

Of all the reasons we've argued about which is better, I haven't seen an argument I really agree with. There's pluses and minuses on both sides. I've now spent a lot of time behind both setups and I'll state the only reason I prefer twin outboards.....

The sound while cruising. The twins have a lower pitch hum that resonate together. I got used to that sound and it just sounded right to me. The single we have now is great. It's fuel injected and efficient. Its run flawlessly so far knock on wood. But it sounds high pitch and tinny. To me it just doesn't sound right. That's my argument for twins. Also there's a coolness factor. The technical justifications don't make any sense, in my opinion.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssobol wrote:

Twins would allow both fore and aft trimming and side to side trimming. That would work even better with Permatrims on the twins. Could eliminate the need (or at least lessen the significance) of trim tabs.

Paul, you are right about the difference in sound, and that is something I have noticed but never brought it up. I guess I thought it was just me thinking that.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

crowleykirk

City/Region: Friday Harbor
C-Dory Year: 2020
Vessel Name: C-Life
Photos: C-Life
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:11 pm    Post subject: I know, dead hose topic here...but....... Reply with quote

We're interested in a Venture 23. Leaning single Suzuki 140 with kicker, thanks Steve, C-Sharp:-)

I'm sure this is covered but haven't found it.

Single say 200 verse twin 90's. This is just an example.

Single 200 runs at much lower RPM than twins. Thus the engine will therotically last longer, and also be much more quiet. Higher PRM's wear an engine out more than lower RPM, or at least faster, not necessarily more. I compare this to motorcycle race engines.

Also time to plane and PRM to plane would obviously be different.

Not saying for better or worse. I like the idea and looks of twins. I also like the idea of a larger single to just chug ginghams along.

I guess it would be interesting to hear comments on sound, fuel burns and maintenance. Times to plane etc.

But I also realize this horse is beyond dead. I'll keep searching:-) If anyone can direct me that would be great. I keep searching single verse twin and it's good info but I haven't found this info.

Thanks so much,
Kirk

Knipet

City/Region: Orcas Island
Vessel Name: Pan-A-C'ya
Photos: Pan-A-C'ya
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: I know, dead hose topic here...but....... Reply with quote

crowleykirk wrote:
We're interested in a Venture 23. Leaning single Suzuki 140 with kicker, thanks Steve, C-Sharp:-)

Don't thank me, thank Gary & Colleen of DayBreak, of which that is the combination they have on their 23 and it sounds like a perfect set up and some great figures. They don't have trim tabs and don't even need them. You should PM them for details, but I know they are out cruising so may be delayed in getting back to you.
Doolittle

City/Region: Puget Sound
C-Dory Year: 1990
Vessel Name: Doolittle
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to fly quite a bit and my aircraft mechanic used to always say the amount of problems with twin engine aircraft is not double, it is exponentially to the power of 2.

Reliable engines well maintained are going to perform well and even with 95% reliability, 0.95 squared is still a very high number. Like it or not, having two engines long enough, the probability of one of them failing is higher than a single engine.

Note, my mechanic also said that a lot of times all that other engine can do by itself is fly the plane to the scene of the crash!
Knipet

City/Region: Orcas Island
Vessel Name: Pan-A-C'ya
Photos: Pan-A-C'ya
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doolittle wrote:
I used to fly quite a bit and my aircraft mechanic used to always say the amount of problems with twin engine aircraft is not double, it is exponentially to the power of 2.
Reliable engines well maintained are going to perform well and even with 95% reliability, 0.95 squared is still a very high number. Like it or not, having two engines long enough, the probability of one of them failing is higher than a single engine.
Note, my mechanic also said that a lot of times all that other engine can do by itself is fly the plane to the scene of the crash!

I'm a pilot, and I totally agree - it's fact!

However, the big difference between boats and planes it that boats don't fall out of the sky! To maintain even level flight a plane needs to be at around 75% of its power output (combined even with twins), whereas a boat can limp along at very small power output and it just takes more time to get back.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: