View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject: Blue lingcod Reply with quote

I'd never heard of blue lingcod. When I caught one at Kyuquot, Beth and I went all through the BC fishing regulations to see if there were special rules. I finally decided to take it in to the processor. The processor said he had seen some of them before and that nobody was certain as to what caused it. Even the guts were blue. The picture showing a regular ling next to the blue isn't my photo. I forgot to take one. The picture of the frozen fish is mine. The blue lingcod lost some of its bright turquoise during processing (and might lose more from cooking). We are having some of both for dinner tonight and can report on a taste comparison, assuming that we survive.

Mark

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
CC Rider

City/Region: Tsawwassen
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: CC Rider
Photos: CC Rider
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was younger I did a lot of SCUBA diving and spearfishing around the Vancouver area. (It was legal then to take lings from around Vancouver). Some of them were blue and indeed the guts were blue as well. Some of them were a really vivid blue, and some were more of a green-blue. All were good eating, and the blue color disappeared after cooking. (I'm still here, so they must have been OK to eat.)

Chris Very Happy

CC Rider

City/Region: Tsawwassen
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: CC Rider
Photos: CC Rider
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Mark, since we are on the subject, what is your preferred method of fishing for lings? Depth? Bait? Bottom type?

Thanks,
Chris
C-Dawg

City/Region: Spanaway
Photos: C-Dawg
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never really mentioned this here before, but in my off time I work as a lingcod quality control consultant. Because you're a fellow C-Brat, I'll take that blue lingcod, cook it, eat it, and then report back on its quality compared to a regular one, all free of charge. That way you'll know next time you run across one how it will fair. And just to be thorough, I'll deep fry some for fish n chips, grill some for fish tacos, and bake some stuffed with something like crab meat, maybe.

I've caught and eaten blue ones, green ones, some with big ol' yeller spots on them, and regular brown ones. But in order to maintain my consultant certification, I must continue procuring and eating as much as possible. Some one's got to do it.
Cool

C-Dawg sold November 2018
Marco Flamingo

C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite way is to use the same setup that I use for salmon. Just a spoon on the downrigger with no flasher. I'm trolling along for salmon and notice that I'm going over a seamount. Before I can get the downrigger weight up, POW, I think that I've hooked the bottom. Nope, it's a ling. Catching them incidental to salmon fishing is a nice bonus.

If targeting ling, I like to look for seamounts in an area with fairly strong currents but waiting for slack. Drop a big jig from "upstream" and drift over the area. I also like fishing "cliffs" in an area that can have strong currents. Places where you are 20 feet from the cliff but in 180 feet of water. I still remember catching lings on the SW end of Johnstone Narrows on a slack tide. Slack only lasts 15 minutes, but it's enough time for a couple big lings before the current makes it impossible to drop down. I'm sure that they are still there, but chances are you'll catch the bottom before another ling.

I rarely use bait for anything. No refrigeration or other futtsing when using a spoon or a buzz bomb.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Jazzmanic

Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We caught a blue ling on our trip to Winter Harbor 2 years ago. Great eating! I read or heard that a diet of eating crabs caused the blue color. Works for me. Thumbs Up

Peter
Pacificcoast101

City/Region: Torrance
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: No Pressure
Photos: No Pressure
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the lings I've seen while diving in California and British Columbia are blue. I've only seen a handful of the darker ones.

Southern California Marine Life
https://www.flickr.com/photos/southern_california_marine_life/albums

My Photos
https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/?pseudoid=%7bAC42A235-FD0A-464A-B559-1CC5843C95FB%7d&name=Phil+Garner&st=11&mode=0&comp=1
capt. meares

City/Region: Tillamook
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1988
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Vianey
Photos: Vianey
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 out of every 3 I catch between Newport and Astoria are blue. I have been told it is caused by iodine in their diet. I have heard old times say the blue ones taste better, I think I agree with them.
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is caused by a type of sea weed they eat. We get ttwo a year. susan got a really bright one this year.
AstoriaDave

City/Region: Astoria
State or Province: OR
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This appears to be an authoritative source. Caused by a type of blood pigment. Several opinions on what in their diet causes the blood pigment formation, nothing authoritative. Not rare most N Pacific waters, but less common off CA.

https://www.outdoorhub.com/news/2016/08/02/extremely-rare-blue-lingcod-caught-alaska/

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd think that all the lingcod in a given area would tend to have a similar diet (they all eat what's there) and would all be the same color if diet was the cause of the coloring.
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caught a few, ate a couple and never looked back. After catching cooking and eating large Cabezon, (we call them sleestacks) it seems less strange.

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
starcrafttom

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is Susans blue ling from this year. Looking back at old photos I think we catch as much as 20% blue lings. We eat all of them and they taste the same.

starcrafttom

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent a week fishing with a gentlemen that has spent years diving with and doing research on ling cod as a side hobby. He is my source for the sea weed commit. I have caught blue ling in the same area as non blue ling at about a 20% rate in the San Juan and near Everett. male link do not wander far from their rock and eggs. so I guess it depends on location to a very fine point. Bigger females are known to migrate farther and from deep water. I just love catching and eating them .
zenden

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

starcrafttom wrote:
I spent a week fishing with a gentlemen that has spent years diving with and doing research on ling cod as a side hobby. He is my source for the sea weed commit. I have caught blue ling in the same area as non blue ling at about a 20% rate in the San Juan and near Everett. male link do not wander far from their rock and eggs. so I guess it depends on location to a very fine point. Bigger females are known to migrate farther and from deep water. I just love catching and eating them .

I want the same.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: