The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Getting ready to purchase a 25' cruiser

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joc1212

City/Region: OAK HARBOR
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Last Time ll
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject: Getting ready to purchase a 25' cruiser Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me the performance difference between a 150 and a 135 Hp engines on the 25' Cruiser???

When I look down the list of Our Dorys I'm seeing a mix of both.

I'd like to have a WOT speed of 30+ but would like to cruise around 25-26mph.

Please give me some sound advise. I'm looking at a used 25' tomorrow that has a 135....is that a deal breaker??

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
BillE

City/Region: Nashville
State or Province: TN
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: BillE
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know the real world difference between the two but i can tell you that on my new-to-me 25 with Yamaha 150 that the numbers you posted are highly dependent upon the weight of the boat. My 150 will hit that with one on board, but drops a few mph with two and can only manage low to mid twenties wide open with four on board.
I find that most of the time cruising in the mid to high teens to be the happy spot, both for how the motor performs and how the hull meets the water.
With much of a chop you are not going to be happy up in the twenties anyway, and I would require a glass-like lake to want to go in the 30s on this boat. If you need speed, you need a different boat, imo.

JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill is giving you good advice. We had a CD-25 for 8 years and found the top speed is definitely weight/elevation dependent. When the boat was brand new, with 2 aboard and very lightly loaded, we could get in the upper 20s as a top speed. Frankly, that wasn't a comfortable use of the boat for us. Once loaded for cruising, our 135 Honda would get into the low 20s, but the two sweet spots for best ride and fuel burn were 5-6 knots and around 16 knots.

The 135 and 150 Hondas use the same block, the 150 doesn't bring those extra 15 hp into play until you are running above 4800RPM (+/-), where the 150 has "variable valve timing."

As Bill said, you would need perfectly smooth water to have a comfortable ride above 25 knots. The hull on these boats is designed to be fuel efficient - that flat hull is a compromise at higher speeds (and not designed for that). If you want to go fast, you can go with a deeper V-hull... the ride at slower speeds will not be as comfortable as the C-Dory, and you will use more fuel at all speeds... but, a V-hull will give a better ride and handling at speed. Different horses for different courses.

The CD-25 is a great boat. You will hear that "all boats are a compromise," but I think this boat straddles those compromises better than most. If you know how you will really intend to use the boat, that will go a long way in determining what hull design will best suit you. When we first got the CD-25, I thought we would always want to run in the upper teens/low 20s... the Honda 135 was a good choice for that. What we discovered was we enjoyed even more cruising at displacement speed, getting much better fuel burn, and enjoying the scenery... but still have the ability to get up on plane and go when you just need to make miles.

Good luck with the search.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about the 25, but my 22 will do 30 mph. However, it gets a bit squirrelly when going that fast. I only do it on really flat water and only occasionally to see that it can still do it (health check). Mostly we run at around 20 mph which sees to suit the boat just fine.
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 2¢ worth, I would look for one with a 200, or a boat that needs repowering. If you want that fast cruise when heavily loaded, you’re going to need the extra HP, in particular if you’re at altitude.

You don’t always need to use all the ponies, but it’s nice to have when you need it (like crossing a river bar). Tyboo just repowered his 25, and I believe there is at least one other with a 200.

We just put a 115, up from a 90, on our 22 cruiser, and it really makes a difference. Getting on plane is faster and effortless. Top end is up around 35 mph, which is faster than I want to go. Off to Lake Powell next week, so we will see how it does at 3700’ and loaded.

smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Tyboo just repowered his 25, and I believe there is at least one other with a 200.

There are several of us. I re-powered with a 200hp as did Fred Young. There are others too. I believe we are all extremely happy to have a 200hp on the CD25 (at least with today's lighter weight 200's). I would never want to go back to my old 150hp.

Now, all this assumes you are in a cruiser to go cruising. As has been said, performance is very weight dependent. When you cruise for a week, you get heavy (even 3 - 5 days). If you are only doing day trips, and especially if you mostly fish, then get an Angler.
MikeR

City/Region: Mill Creek
C-Dory Year: 2016
Photos: MikeR
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with what others have said about our local water conditions - Even with 200 hp you won't find many days around Whidbey where you can comfortably cruise in the mid 20's. More typical is 15-20, and even 10-15 if water conditions are the common 2-3 footers. If you need a boat where you can regularly cruise at 25-26 mph around here you should look at a TomCat or SeaSport, or a different brand altogether. The classic C-Dory hulls are not intended to cruise at that speed in the choppier stuff we often see. If you haven't ridden on a C-Dory before, you might want to insist on a test run on a non flat calm day, get into some 1-2 footers and see how you like going even 20 mph. Have fun shopping and good luck with your future purchase!

-Mike

jkswor

City/Region: tok
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Missy marie
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not 2 90 hp evenrude etecs?
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As described in the Honda Service Manual, the 135 and 150 engines are the same, EXCEPT the 150 has variable valve timing which engages at 4000 RPM. Its hydraulically actuated.

We've just spent 2 mos in the San Juan Islands and Puget Sound. We did a lot of travel at 11-12 knots @ 4000 RPM, with bursts at 15-17 knots @ 4500-5000 RPM. A C-Dory 25, loaded for cruising is not a high speed boat; comfortable, but not high speed. One needs a deep-v for that.

Boris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: