The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

bearing or axle failure
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cmetzenberg

City/Region: Santa Barbara
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Kanaloa
Photos: Kanaloa
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:57 am    Post subject: bearing or axle failure Reply with quote

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15VmjaqcRtg-E_Dv6A7OQGdysCh-3OmUbNQ/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UQ-pb7tb5d9E5RxcFU8HBijHzd9FjhP2SQ/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MsWibfoyaUyXGMRkuyX4ULHBdTz1mBQs2w/view?usp=sharing

A week ago I suffered a catastrophic bearing failure of my right rear wheel on my triple axle trailer. While making backing the boat into my drive way the wheel fell off! Looking at the wear on the tire it must have failed a while ago. The trailer maker thinks the axle failed causing the bearing to fail, and is ordering me a new one. I have my doubts and think the bearing may have failed as my rear tires get abused backing over the curb to get in my driveway. I'm not sure I can get the torsion arm/spindle off the axle to replace it anyways; perhaps a gear puller will do the trick in a few weeks when i'm home.

07' Tomcat 255 "Kanaloa"
87' Boston Whaler Guardian 17 (BlackFlag, 03-14)
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is all bad. Why is the tire so bald on one side? That wear tells me the tire was not running true for a long time.

Getting that spindle off is going to be a challenge. I'd drown it in PB Blaster or similar but it will probably require some heat, like a welding torch applied to it. I've had bolts that were rusted so much (like that) that they only gave up the fight after I heated them up to red hot, then applied the proper force.

tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: bearing or axle failure Reply with quote

cmetzenberg wrote:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/15VmjaqcRtg-E_Dv6A7OQGdysCh-3OmUbNQ/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UQ-pb7tb5d9E5RxcFU8HBijHzd9FjhP2SQ/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MsWibfoyaUyXGMRkuyX4ULHBdTz1mBQs2w/view?usp=sharing

A week ago I suffered a catastrophic bearing failure of my right rear wheel on my triple axle trailer. While making backing the boat into my drive way the wheel fell off! Looking at the wear on the tire it must have failed a while ago. The trailer maker thinks the axle failed causing the bearing to fail, and is ordering me a new one. I have my doubts and think the bearing may have failed as my rear tires get abused backing over the curb to get in my driveway. I'm not sure I can get the torsion arm/spindle off the axle to replace it anyways; perhaps a gear puller will do the trick in a few weeks when i'm home.

After you remove the pinch bolt, if you drive a wedge into the slot it will slide right off. Your bearings got a little water in them
& failed. There is nothing on the axle to fail unless it breaks in half. After it's all back together take it to a alignment shop & have them ck. toe on all 3 axles. If you hit the curb at less than 50mph backing into your driveway is not the culprit, the wheel & tire are the weak link. If you constantly make the same turns in your trailer routine, this will wear tires also. The tires slide on the pavement(differentiate) as they go into a sharp turn. Wink Good luck on your repair!!
To all the unexperienced internet expert naysayers, All trailer axles are adjustable for toe that's what they make hydraulics for Rolling Eyes Fear not it looks worse than it is. Beer
Don't be afraid to cut the pinch bolt if nec. Thumbs Up
Also, that tire wear could be caused by a loose bearing. Thumbs Up
cmetzenberg

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: bearing or axle failure Reply with quote

tsturm wrote:
cmetzenberg wrote:

After you remove the pinch bolt, if you drive a wedge into the slot it will slide right off. Your bearings got a little water in them
& failed. There is nothing on the axle to fail unless it breaks in half. After it's all back together take it to a alignment shop & have them ck. toe on all 3 axles. If you hit the curb at less than 50mph backing into your driveway is not the culprit, the wheel & tire are the weak link. If you constantly make the same turns in your trailer routine, this will wear tires also. The tires slide on the pavement(differentiate) as they go into a sharp turn. Wink Good luck on your repair!!
To all the unexperienced internet expert naysayers, All trailer axles are adjustable for toe that's what they make hydraulics for Rolling Eyes Fear not it looks worse than it is. Beer
Don't be afraid to cut the pinch bolt if nec. Thumbs Up
Also, that tire wear could be caused by a loose bearing. Thumbs Up

Pinch bolt already has been introduced to my sawsall. I tried to drive a chisel in there but couldn't get it to work, not the right tool.
tsturm

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: bearing or axle failure Reply with quote

[quote="cmetzenberg
Pinch bolt already has been introduced to my sawsall. I tried to drive a chisel in there but couldn't get it to work, not the right tool.[/quote]

Find your least favorite chisel & grind a long taper on it?

A propane torch apply a little heat?
cmetzenberg

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: bearing or axle failure Reply with quote

tsturm wrote:
[quote="cmetzenberg
Pinch bolt already has been introduced to my sawsall. I tried to drive a chisel in there but couldn't get it to work, not the right tool.

Find your least favorite chisel & grind a long taper on it?

A propane torch apply a little heat?[/quote]

I do have a chisel, and i do have a grinder...and i've always wanted a torch
alainP

City/Region: TUCSON
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: deja la
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just removed my 1.25X1.175 spindle from my torsion axle arm, I backed up the castle nut flush with the end of the thread and hit it square with a 3lb short sledge, came out easy after a half dozen blows.
cmetzenberg

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alainP wrote:
I just removed my 1.25X1.175 spindle from my torsion axle arm, I backed up the castle nut flush with the end of the thread and hit it square with a 3lb short sledge, came out easy after a half dozen blows.

My spindles and arms are one piece Sad I really wish I had the other brand. I also really wish the trailer maker had heard of nevercease.
alainP

City/Region: TUCSON
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: deja la
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh!, Just saw the pictures! I get it. Best of luck.
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmetzenberg wrote:
nevercease.

I use it on anything/everything I can on the trailer. A little goes a long way.
jennykatz

City/Region: naples
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject: Tires Reply with quote

We have a tire that is doing the same thing we replaced the bearings and with boat off the tire runs straight on middle of tire With boat on the tire cambers out and runs on inner side of tire Will have to check out axle and spindle before coming up to Cumberland river trip .Jim
00 cd16 cruiser honda 40 sold 3/12
cmetzenberg

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1PvBbSfCTzGW5ph_gzokk_eqCSGv_2dGHpw
getting those arms off is not easy.
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe a couple cuts with pneumatic cut wheel tool with extra wheels. Make 2 or three slot cuts cut off bolt, stricke with hammer.

Wear eye protection, work gloves and best face mask

tsturm

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmetzenberg wrote:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1PvBbSfCTzGW5ph_gzokk_eqCSGv_2dGHpw
getting those arms off is not easy.

Pittman arm puller & heat & BFH seems to have worked just fine. Now the rest of the job is a cakewalk!! Wink

Now switch over to oil bath bng. & hub set up & you will get far longer bng. life & be able to see condition of lube.

Beer Beer Wink
cmetzenberg

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my ability to break things on this trailer amazes me. The same wheel failed again. Though this time the failure was different; the spindle actually bent. This was a UFP vault arm. Coming out of my drive way the rear right tire took the entire right side load while being torqued as the trailer turned. I still can't believe that out off all the things to fail that this spindle bent. the bearings and hub functioned perfectly but their axis had been bent.

Thanks to my copious use of never-seez the new vault arm and hub assembly was mounted on the following day.

i'm trying to get UFP to send me a new assembly gratis.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: