View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peter & Judy

City/Region: Olds
State or Province: AB
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Mistaya
Photos: Mistaya
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:35 pm    Post subject: Lake Powell Fuel and Camping Reply with quote

We are planning to spend two weeks on Lake Powell in the beginning of October and need a little bit of advice on Fuel and Camping.

We are planning on launching from Bullfrog Marina and their current fuel price is $5.03. I was wondering if I should do my first fill here or would it be better to fill somewhere closer to Salt Lake City? I don't know what current fuel prices are in the U.S. On the lake I will have to pay what the marina is charging, but maybe I can save a few bucks before I get there.

My second question is related to Camping at or near Bullfrog. I would like to arrive the night before so that I can get organized and be on the water early in the morning. I could camp at the Bullfrog Marina, but don't really need all the services as we are self sufficient. Are there other options nearby?

Thank you in advance for your advice.

HMCB Mistaya
"Mistaya" (Grizzly Bear in Cree)
HMCB (Her Majesties Cute Boat)
jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get ethanol free at the Silver Eagle in Hanksville and stay in their parking lot for the night. If you would rather stay on the lake then Stanton Creek would be a good overnight it’s just up lake from Bullfrog right across from the Hall’s bouy field. Watch the entrance close there is a reef right at the entrance just port of center. Most of the dirt roads between Hanksville and Bullfrog lead to Blm land and you can dry camp on any pull out. might be hard to turn around so be careful.

colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only fuel on the lake, would be at Bullfrog and Wahweep (west end), currently at $5.03/gallon, and in the middle of those two is Dangling Rope Marina, at $5.47/gal I believe. (They have to barge it in, as there are no roads to Dangling Rope.) About 50 miles between fuel marinas. There is another marina at the west end, Antelope I believe, but I don't know if they have fuel. In fact, the only services on the Lake are at Powell, Wahweep and Dangling Rope. There are floating porta potti dump and pump out stations in various locations on the lake. I haven't checked fuel prices on land yet, but I suspect Nebraska or Iowa are going to be the best prices for me. I will top the boat off before I get to Utah. Coming from your direction, I would see if you can check fuel prices along the way, as I think when you get close to Lake Powell, prices will rise. Get the Gas Buddy app if you have a smart phone, to find your lowest prices along the way. Salt Lake is showing 3.03, Sheridan Wy 2.81, Boise City ID, 3.12. Just for comparisons. Hanksville is showing 3.49 at the Silver Eagle, and that's all for regular I believe. Ethanol free will be more expensive. Bullfrog has a campground, but I don't know what the rate is. I tend to just pull into Flying J truck stops, Walmarts or Cracker Barrel Restaurants, patronize them, then spend the night. Not everywhere allows overnight stays like that, but many do. Once you get closer to Lake Powell, you'll find the area pretty sparse. I forgot about the free dry camping on BLM land, but as was stated, be careful about room to turn around. Also, in case you are not aware, Lake Powell is in the Glen Canyon Recreational Area, and you will need to purchase a pass. I have the America Annual pass, ($80) but you can also purchase a weekly pass.
https://www.nps.gov/glca/planyourvisit/fees.htm
I'm not sure if I also have to pay for a boat pass, or if I'm covered for everything with my America Pass. I can't remember when I was there in 2014 if the boat was a separate pass. Colby
Peter & Judy

City/Region: Olds
State or Province: AB
Vessel Name: Mistaya
Photos: Mistaya
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know if there are restrictions to just camping for one night in the Bullfrog Marina parking lot? This would be the simplest thing to do and a lot cheaper than the $50 for the campsite at the marina.
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter & Judy wrote:
Does anyone know if there are restrictions to just camping for one night in the Bullfrog Marina parking lot? This would be the simplest thing to do and a lot cheaper than the $50 for the campsite at the marina.

I did the first time we boated LP, but have been told the concessionaire security folks will make you move. I’ve also been told the NPS doesn’t care. It would be worth a call to the HQ to find out the truth.

jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have stayed in the lodge parking lot a few times and the parking lot a long time ago. There are no camping signs at the parking lot. Poison Spring Road is at mile marker 17 as you are leaving Hanksville just passed the magic bus it has a staging area a couple of hundred yards in just go slow and easy nice place to camp in the middle of nowhere. From there it’s about 45 minutes to the lake. Another place I stay is the road that goes to Goblin Valley the road turns left when you get to mountains that is all BLM land and is free just pick a spot you will most likely have neighbors. Both places are easy to turn around.
Discovery

City/Region: LOA, UTAH
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Discovery
Photos: Discovery
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Star Springs road should have a place to camp. It's maybe 20 miles from the lake. There is a closed gas station just past the Offshore Marina, on the right, maybe a spot there. Are you still looking for a place to leave your boat after you do Lake Powell? Our offer of free parking is still available.

Brent and Dixie,
1984 22' Classic sold 2003
2003 24' TomCat sold 2005
2006 TC255 Discovery Sold 2020
2006 CD 22' Angler Sold 2014
https://share.delorme.com/FBrentBetenson
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms." ~ Thomas Jefferson
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: