Solo Anchoring w/ No Windlass Tips?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP: If you don't have an anchor drag alarm on your electronics then download an app on your phone.

If you don't then you won't get any sleep at all....Unless you're an old salt but I don't think you are since you posted this thread. LOL!

I like using moorings when at all possible!

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht (Twin 385 Crusaders) (SOLD 6/20)

2000 Camano 31 Troll (Volvo TAMD41p) (SOLD 2/19)

2007 C Dory 25' Cruiser (200 hp Suzuki, sold 7/17)

2003 C Dory 19' Angler (80 hp Yamaha, sold 7/16)

1995 C Dory 16' Angler (40 hp Yamaha, sold 2/16)
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't use an anchor alarm because then for sure I would not get any sleep, just be waiting for it to go off.

I just make sure the anchor is set well and then go to sleep. I also don't anchor where there are large current shifts or large tidal swings.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never used an anchor alarm. I have marked where the anchor was dropped when we got accurate GPS. I still take bearings on objects on shore, and record them, so I have references. (GPS makes this much better).

I set my anchor, with the boat's power in reverse, so I know it is well set. Some bottoms and holding grounds take several "Sets" to be sure that the anchor is properly set, and will not drag under conditions encountered.

I also always have a plan for alternate anchorages, or having to leave and "put to sea" if an anchorage becomes untenable. Don't be afraid to move at night--and have that move mapped out at least in your head, if it is necessary. Know what might happen, as the wind and waves (current also) shift, and if there is any risk for your boat.

I sleep well, but, I get up every couple of hours to check my bearings or GPS position and check the weather. Also to look and see how nearby boats are riding, and if there are any potential issues.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, I get up several times as well. Age related Embarassed , and I also check location bearings.
Kushtaka

City/Region: Cordova
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Photos: Kushtaka
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the windlass is down I can haul my anchor from my pot puller in the cockpit. If I'm solo and without a motor to pull the anchor, I use the line running from my bow eye to my cockpit running through a regular 2" ring.

I drop my anchor from the cockpit, tie it to the ring at the desired scope, and let it go. It zips right up to the bow.

When it's time to pull I motor up and alongside it, let the ring come all the way aft, and then grab it. If I'm puling by hand I'll clip a buoy to the ring, run the free end of the rode through the ring (it would be easier with a anchoring ring that opens/closes, but I don't have one) and cleat it to the stern line, and motor the boat away and around the anchor. It comes right up, then I pull in the anchor by hand with the bulk of the weight on the float.

I use the same technique if I'm bringing the rode to the cockpit to haul up with the line hauler.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="South of Heaven" I like using moorings when at all possible![/quote]

The reason I don't like moorings is that you have no idea what the terminal tackle's condition is. Have the shackles and chains been regularly inspected and replaced? What type of "anchor" is there?

I have seen moorings give way during storms. I have also moved mooring blocks which were in the tons of weight.

I know that my anchoring gear is in first class condition, and what to expect of it.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The nice thing about docks or shore ties, you don't have to worry about current, wind, anchor or mooring ball drag, anchor alarms or hourly position checks! Or standing on deck to drop or weigh anchor! Mr. Green (Of course, calm water is still preferred! Wink ) Colby
ssobol

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colbysmith wrote:
The nice thing about docks or shore ties, you don't have to worry about current, wind, anchor or mooring ball drag, anchor alarms or hourly position checks! Or standing on deck to drop or weigh anchor! Mr. Green (Of course, calm water is still preferred! Wink ) Colby

You just have to worry about the side of your boat getting beat up by banging against the dock caused by wind, waves, or wakes. There can also be issues with fixed docks and tidal changes.

One disadvantage with O/B engines is that they can be vulnerable to dock damage because they are a prominent protuberance at one end of the boat. In the mid Atlantic region, a large number of the docks are fixed and have short fingers. The usually requires backing into the slip if you want to be able to get on and off a boat as small as a C-Dory. If not tied carefully, this can put the motor(s) at risk of bashing against the dock.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You just have to worry about the side of your boat getting beat up by banging against the dock caused by wind, waves, or wakes. There can also be issues with fixed docks and tidal changes.

No tidal changes in the Great Lakes! Mr. Green But I do agree about the wind and such. That's why I said calm water. If the wind and waves are that bad at night, I choose to be off the water. Very Happy Colby
ssobol

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colbysmith wrote:
Quote:

No tidal changes in the Great Lakes! Mr. Green But I do agree about the wind and such. That's why I said calm water. If the wind and waves are that bad at night, I choose to be off the water. Very Happy Colby

My boat got beat up at a dock in a developed area when we left it tied up for lunch once. Wakes from passing boats (while we were away) took the rub strip off my boat and off the dock where I was tied up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Anchoring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: