The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

What people say about our boat
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason, I have been documenting vessels, including ones I have built, for about 50 years. The C Dory 22, 25, Venture 23 26 and Tom Cat 255 can all be documented. I have documented a 22 a 25 and the Tom Cat. I have not run the numbers on the 19.

I am well aware of all of the CG verbiage on documentation, and have advised many on the ins and outs of documentation thru the years. I have never used a document service.

YOU have to understand how the "net tonnage" is measured. It takes a little time to understand, but fairly easy if you do the formula and read the pages you referred to. Because of the design and construction of the C Dory it falls in the documentation perimeters.

There are multiple reasons to document. It can do with ownership, Taxation (both sales and use), ease of entering a foreign country, or as simple as not wanting the state registration numbers on the bow. (Although several states still require the boat be registered and display the sticker some place on the boat). It used to be that documentation was free renewal each year. Now it is $26 a year. If you use the boat in multiple states, there are reasons to document.

There are advantages to purchase and sale of documented vessels, having to do with preferred mortgages, security of mortgages and lens. Some mortgages require documentation.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a documentation service for my new boat and still haven't gotten the "official" document yet. I do have the temporary registration and was told that it could take up to 6 months to get it! I bought my boat in early August of 2017. That's government inefficiency at it's best!

Thanks for the insight Bob. I love the fact that my new boat has no state letters and numbers on it. Maybe more Brats will go the USCG documentation route as well!

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht (Twin 385 Crusaders) (SOLD 6/20)

2000 Camano 31 Troll (Volvo TAMD41p) (SOLD 2/19)

2007 C Dory 25' Cruiser (200 hp Suzuki, sold 7/17)

2003 C Dory 19' Angler (80 hp Yamaha, sold 7/16)

1995 C Dory 16' Angler (40 hp Yamaha, sold 2/16)
South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

South of Heaven wrote:
I used a documentation service for my new boat and still haven't gotten the "official" document yet. I do have the legal temporary registration and was told that it could take up to 6 months to get the permanent one! I bought my boat in early August of 2017. That's government inefficiency at it's best!

Thanks for the insight Bob. I love the fact that my new boat has no state letters and numbers on it. Maybe more Brats will go the USCG documentation route as well!
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a couple of "cute boat" comments when on Kyuquot Sound recently. When docked at a fishing lodge, the cook came out and took a picture. But the best comment so far was from an older native gentleman when I was at the government dock in Fair Harbor. He got down on his hands and knees and crawled along looking inside. When he saw me in the V berth he said "It's just like a boat only smaller."

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just read about `little wings` original post about what people say about their boat and it reminded me of what somebody told me at the dock. "Now that boat will cross the bar!" Up until that point we had not crossed the Newport bar because it looked so daunting. After choosing the best day to cross based on the tide and weather conditions, our C-Dory made its initial crossing without any complications. I needed this positive comment from another person to encourage me about the seaworthyness of C-Dory boats. They are incredible boats that will get you from one place to another while on the water in a safe and comfortable manner.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garyf, Glad you are now taking advantage of your boat's capabilities. Take a look at what Paul Sauders says about his boat in the following thread:

http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=26727

And it should count as he is no longer a biased C-Dory owner.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Harvey. Paul Souders adventure north toward the Arctic Circle was amazing.
jakevolvo@yahoo.com

City/Region: Orting
C-Dory Year: 1986
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Told Ya So
Photos: C-Told Ya So
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fish and game girl whispers to me "I f*cking love your boat.."
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
Garyf, Glad you are now taking advantage of your boat's capabilities. Take a look at what Paul Sauders says about his boat in the following thread:

http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=26727

And it should count as he is no longer a biased C-Dory owner.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

From another place, here is what he called his "boat":
Quote:
"This boat. This 22-foot floating fiberglass money pit. For the summer it’s my home, my office and my bedroom. It’s also my jail cell and my ticket to adventure, my shelter through the storms to come and my private little shop of horrors. I’ve often compared her to a VW camper of the sea, but without the Teutonic design excellence, mechanical reliability or Grateful Dead stickers."

He didn't really spend the effort into researching "C-Dorys" but admits to buying the first boat he looked at. Lucky for him it was a C-Dory. Not sure he appreciated the finer points of "C-Dory", but it brought him home every time.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To him the boat was just a tool to do the job.

Like a screwdriver. I don't care what brand the screwdriver is, who made it, or what it looks like. The only thing I care about is how well it drives screws.

He got a boat that did what he needed to do. But he doesn't seem to have much affection for boats in general or C-Dorys in particular.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: