kennharriet

City/Region: Grangeville
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Lochsa
Photos: Lochsa
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I get better service I’ll attach a photo of the chart I use for quick reference. 25’, 50’ and 75’ are always red, white and blue respectively.
At the 100’ series the painted rode is three feet long so 125’ is 12”Red, 12”Red, 12”Red. 150’ is 12”Red, 12”White, 12”Red. 175’ is Red, Blue, Red. A pic is worth a thousand words but we are in the Broken Group Islands with limited service. We are anchored in 50’ of water so for a minimum of 3:1, I tied off at Red, White, Red. Hope this helps. Ken
kennharriet

City/Region: Grangeville
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Lochsa
Photos: Lochsa
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey. Here is the anchor rode scheme I use that you had asked about. So each 25' increment is red, white, blue. Note that each 100' increment has a black center to indicate 100', 200', etc. The hundreds of feet also is red, white, and blue. I only carry 300' total so the orange warns of the end of the rode. I also have a mark on the chain that warns me of the anchor just before it hits the roller. Ken

JOHN C

City/Region: Cleveland
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Mighty Wench
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:12 am    Post subject: zip ties Reply with quote

We tried the paint route - it didn't last - maybe the wrong paint?

What we found works and is very easy to maintain is zip ties - you can get a bag at Harbor Freight of mixed colors - ours were something like 8 to 12 inch long. Any system you want - we put three in a row in each increment (50 ft for us). They go through the windlass with no problem and are easy to replace on the fly, although ours lasted for months of daily use.

Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: zip ties Reply with quote

JOHN C wrote:
We tried the paint route - it didn't last - maybe the wrong paint?

What we found works and is very easy to maintain is zip ties - you can get a bag at Harbor Freight of mixed colors - ours were something like 8 to 12 inch long. Any system you want - we put three in a row in each increment (50 ft for us). They go through the windlass with no problem and are easy to replace on the fly, although ours lasted for months of daily use.

John- Did you weave / braid the nylon zip ties through a three strand nylon rope rode, or simply wrap them around the rode?

Thanks!

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
cmetzenberg

City/Region: Santa Barbara
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Kanaloa
Photos: Kanaloa
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How I do it; I spray painted the line red at 50', two red sections at 100', 3 red sections at 150', and so on. Works great.

07' Tomcat 255 "Kanaloa"
87' Boston Whaler Guardian 17 (BlackFlag, 03-14)
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried zip ties, and while they worked, their ends can cut the hands if manually working with the rode. Colby
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken, Thanks for the chart. I have used paint but it is mostly gone after 2 years heavy use. As to the lenghts, at 50 feet for the first marking I would be almost fully at the end of my line Wink

My typical depth for anchoring is at 5 feet at low tide, and I would usually run out 70 feet of chain, prefering to not run onto the 200 feet of rode.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

JOHN C

City/Region: Cleveland
State or Province: OH
Vessel Name: Mighty Wench
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject: zip ties Reply with quote

We have 150 ft of chain and 150 ft of rope. We tried to anchor in water shallow enough so the rope never appeared and we were mostly successful doing that so our rope markers have only been used a couple of times (stayed in the locker). Yes the ties were through one part of the rope - if you just wrapped them around the OD I believe nasty things could happen and, even if I am wrong about that, I don't see how they would not move along the rope.

I confess, with the anchor windlass, we have not man-handled the rode at all so I have no experience with Colby's comment.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: zip ties Reply with quote

JOHN C wrote:
We have 150 ft of chain and 150 ft of rope. We tried to anchor in water shallow enough so the rope never appeared and we were mostly successful doing that so our rope markers have only been used a couple of times (stayed in the locker). Yes the ties were through one part of the rope - if you just wrapped them around the OD I believe nasty things could happen and, even if I am wrong about that, I don't see how they would not move along the rope.

I confess, with the anchor windlass, we have not man-handled the rode at all so I have no experience with Colby's comment.

Now that's my kind of anchoring!

1.Push button deployment and retrieval (no hands).

2. Big + long chain: 100' of 1/4" Grade 40 High Test =75lbs +the anchor weight.

3. No Contest Anchor: Fortress FX-16, good for up to 38 foot boat.

4. Digital anchor rode counter integrated into windlass on bow. Magnet on windlass gypsy trips coil which electrically registers on counter on helm display.

5. Positive anchor hook up: Depending on East/West or North/South rode play out can result in slowing up/retarding earth's rotation or change in tilt on its axis! Twisted Evil

You Mileage May Vary.....

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Swee Pea

City/Region: Bath
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Swee Pea
Photos: Swee Pea
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:10 pm    Post subject: Marking Anchor Chain Reply with quote

Been following this thread and another one to decide how I am going to mark my anchor chain. I bought my 22' Cruiser from Cutter Marine. They always supplied 150' (of chain) citing local needs and adding a little weight in the bow. I went to EBay and found a seller who sells round aluminum dog tags and engraves them. I bought 7 ($15) and had them engraved 20, 40, 60 ... and will attach them either with the supplied split rings or some Dynema line that I have. I intend to paint the first 10' red so I know that the anchor is near. Should work. I do not have a windlass.

John
Swee Pea
letitride

City/Region: San Jose
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: No Limits
Photos: Letitride
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use colored zip ties (like many others do) at each 25ft interval.
Use the large ones about 12in we place 3 to mark each 25ft interval don't clip them leave them full size. They pass thru the windlass easily and position each one so that they stick out at 120 deg to each other on the chain or rode as they pass thru the windlass one will be sticking up or two and you can see it easy at night with a flash light, they are cheap and replacing them is very easy Very Happy Very Happy
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, I am going to bet that without a windlass, you will be able to see the anchor in the last 10 feet.

Quote:
"I intend to paint the first 10' red so I know that the anchor is near. Should work. I do not have a windlass."

You may not need to paint all of the last 10 feet. On mine I have a 10 foot mark and a 5 foot mark. At 5 feet I know the anchor is just about to break the surface. ( I am sitting at the helm, not standing on the bow.) At 10 Feet, I am watching for the 5 foot mark, at that point I go to slow mode and if the chain looks messy or the anchor is when it shows It goes back into the water just past that 5 foot mark for a bit of a washing.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon
Swee Pea

City/Region: Bath
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Swee Pea
Photos: Swee Pea
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:15 pm    Post subject: Anchor Chain Reply with quote

Harvey/SleepyC

Good point. Might just buy 6 feet of galvanized red or yellow coated chain and link it to my anchor and anchor chain. Should last longer than paint. Thanks for your perspective.

John
Swee Pea
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Anchoring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: