The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Ablative or hard bottom paint

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidM

City/Region: Punta Gorda
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:14 am    Post subject: Ablative or hard bottom paint Reply with quote

Coming from a sailboat background I always used ablative bottom paint on my boats kept in the water. They seemed to handle slime and barnacles better than hard paints due to the continuous sloughing off of the top layer.

But C-Dorys cruise in the teens. Do ablative bottom paints hold up in that service or should I go with a hard type.

David
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:21 am    Post subject: bottompaint Reply with quote

Hi David!
Much depends on your local fouling conditions, ask around local marinas.
Cruising in the teens is enough to use ablative paint...most trailerable boats do since some hard (but no ablatives) lose effectiveness when hauled for more than x days and have to be re-done prior to launch (expensive). Hard paint is smoother and faster for sailboat racing or if you're on the C-Dory Pro Racing Team.
We have 92 degree saltwater and without prolonged use we can get slime and hard growth in a few weeks; for $70 a diver takes care of it. Our beach destinations are only 1/2 to 3 miles from our marina, so we are outliers there.
If you choose an ablative, use a water-based one so you can 'touch up' on the trailer safely and legally and put everything in the regular trash...Pettit Hydrocoat or Micron.
What's on there now? You can paint soft over hard but not hard over soft or anything over vinyl. You'll want a 2-part epoxy barrier coat of contrasting color if not already there so your dock-mates can point out when it's time to re-paint. For most it's a pro job and soda blasting involved.
There is a pretty good article on West Marine Advisor on top 10 bottom paint issues.
Owners dicker about this, there is no universally accepted agreement like there is about twins are always better than singles because they look so cool. (just kidding!)
Happy Researching,
John

Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For fresh, brackish or salt water, I don't think you can beat

Interlux InterProtect 2000E epoxy barrier coat (2 coats)

followed by

Interlux VC 17 Offshore w/teflon (2 coats)

It's thin, hard and smooth (reduces drag).
It's also pricey (actually, here, you get what you pay for).
Used this for years for power and sailboats.
Never sorry. Get several seasons out of it and the only
blister I got was from a sandal trap going between my toes.

Aye.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only used ablative on the C Dory, both in the water and on trailer or lift. I get multiple years with no fouling.

In my opinion there is no place for hard bottom paint in the C Dory, except if you are going to keep in the water year around...and even then, it is a tossup.

John must live a far different part of Pensacola, if he is seeing 92 degree water. The gulf is usually in the 80's. We would spend several months in the keys with the Caracal Cat and Vivid bottom paint. No fouling. Would get at least 3 years use, with combined use.

Agree with barrier coats.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
DavidM

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a never before painted 2015 model. I will dewax, put on a coat of Pettit's Skip Sand product and put two coats of Pettit's Hydrocoat.

Thataway, that is exactly the experience I was looking for.

Thanks, guys.

David
tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:05 am    Post subject: Re: Ablative or hard bottom paint Reply with quote

DavidM wrote:
Coming from a sailboat background I always used ablative bottom paint on my boats kept in the water. They seemed to handle slime and barnacles better than hard paints due to the continuous sloughing off of the top layer.

But C-Dorys cruise in the teens. Do ablative bottom paints hold up in that service or should I go with a hard type.

David

In 2011, I sprayed 3 coats of epoxy primer (Pettit Protect) then 4 coats of Unepoxy Plus antifouling bottom paint. My boat has been in the water (salt only) of South Central Alaska 10 months a year, trailered from Homer(home port) to Seward and Whittier & after all this time the only place the antifouling paint has disappeared is where the boat slides on the trailer bunks. I plan to go the with the Unepoxy Plus again next spring.
I do pressure wash it when ever I pull it out. Very little growth ever between washings. YMMV
Wink Mr. Green Beer
PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ablative paint will hold up just fine. We used it on our Parker center console that would at cruise 40 mph, and now use it on our C-dory. It holds up just fine but I'll touch it up on the trailer every year or two.

We use interlux micron 66, which is a very popular around our waters for those not lucky enough to have a boat lift and a clean bottom. Check in with your local boat yards and see what people in your area are having the best luck with.

BTDT

City/Region: Grand Lake Oklahoma
State or Province: OK
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: C- Lark Wine Down
Photos: C-Lark
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spend a good deal of my boating time cruising at 18 t0 25 mph. My Pettit Hydrocoat SR ablative paint looks pretty much the same as it did 3 years ago. I touched-up a couple of small trailer rub spots a year or so ago with a small paint roller in my driveway.

Bottom line- Based on my usage experience, I like Pettit ablative paint and see no reason to change

DavidM

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTDT:

Trinidad Hydrocoat SR is exactly what I plan to use. Good to know it holds up at high speed for several years.

Thanks, David
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: