The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Water Pump Help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tortuga

City/Region: Ventura
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1994
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Photos: Tortuga
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:29 pm    Post subject: Water Pump Help Reply with quote

Good morning all. After 300 hours and 10 years I'm finally getting to my water pump to replace the impeller. This is a 2008 Yamaha F90 TLR. The engine runs fantastic -- reliable and smooth. However, when I dropped the lower unit the water pump housing was packed with debris -- what appeared to be a combination of sand/ silt and rubber. More disconcerting, there was several pieces of broken brass (or similar metal) rings, and one badly damaged ring still around the shaft on top of the pump housing. In addition, there was a tension clamp that was present, but not appearing to fit anywhere.

The first pic below is the pump housing after I cleared the debris. The second pic is of the pieces & clamp that were present. I've gone through the schematics and I can't find any parts that include the clamp, and the housing as it is now matches all of the images I've found.

Does anyone know what these pieces may be? And, does anyone recognize what part/s may be missing from the water pump as it is pictured below?

Thanks in advance!

Matt
Ventura

BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didnt look at the schematic but it may be a bushing like this one

https://www.simyamaha.com/Yamaha_Drive_Shaft_Bushing_p/69j-45318-01-00.htm

and held in place with a retainer ring

Maybe the bushing and ring have failed

Pacificcoast101

City/Region: Torrance
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: No Pressure
Photos: No Pressure
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a clamp holding a washer in place on the upper end of the shift rod. I had one fall off recently. Perhaps yours fell while you were removing the lower unit. If it is from the rod you won't be able to shift after replacing the lower unit.

Southern California Marine Life
https://www.flickr.com/photos/southern_california_marine_life/albums

My Photos
https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/?pseudoid=%7bAC42A235-FD0A-464A-B559-1CC5843C95FB%7d&name=Phil+Garner&st=11&mode=0&comp=1
Tortuga

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After literally piecing the debris back together I think Brent’s assessment is right on. I cleaned out the housing and inspected the water pump which looked quite clean, replaced the impeller, and reassembled the lower unit. It started right up, produced a nice stream of water, and I was able to get in and out of gear. So the only question is – can I run the engine without a drive shaft bushing? It is obvious that I’ve been running the engine without a driveshaft pushing for some time considering the shredded condition it was in.
BrentB

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bushing keeps driveshaft in alignment. It might wear into housing and decrease water pump service life due out of alignment

m2cw I would replace it, install a full water pump kit and replace thermostats on trouble free boating and piece of mind
BrentB

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bushings are a type of bearing which are maintenance-free and do not require additional lubrication to operate.
Tortuga

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That’s good advice — which I’ll heed. I’ve got a trip planned to Avalon this weekend — is the bushing something I can do after that or is it something that will lead to getting towed back? The condition of the failed bushing suggests its been that way for a while.

Tnx!
BrentB

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you are very good if you are pulling LU and replacing water pump. If me, I would replace as soon as possible. The part and retainer ring should be easy to find locally.
tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: Water Pump Help Reply with quote

Tortuga wrote:
Good morning all. After 300 hours and 10 years I'm finally getting to my water pump to replace the impeller. This is a 2008 Yamaha F90 TLR. The engine runs fantastic -- reliable and smooth. However, when I dropped the lower unit the water pump housing was packed with debris -- what appeared to be a combination of sand/ silt and rubber. More disconcerting, there was several pieces of broken brass (or similar metal) rings, and one badly damaged ring still around the shaft on top of the pump housing. In addition, there was a tension clamp that was present, but not appearing to fit anywhere.

The first pic below is the pump housing after I cleared the debris. The second pic is of the pieces & clamp that were present. I've gone through the schematics and I can't find any parts that include the clamp, and the housing as it is now matches all of the images I've found.

Does anyone know what these pieces may be? And, does anyone recognize what part/s may be missing from the water pump as it is pictured below?

Thanks in advance!

Matt
Ventura

The metal piece is an "Internal Snap Ring" Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: