The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Two issues CD 25
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my 07 CD-22 I would notice a gas fume smell after filling the tanks. I didn't think much of it because it would dissipate after a short while. Figured it was just fumes from gas as it was pumped.

One day I was filling and noticed wetness on the inside gunwale. Since it was early in the day I figured it was just condensation. However, as I continued to pump gas I found that the wetness was increasing. Closer inspection revealed that the fill hose was cracking in the bends as it went from the filler to the tank and letting gas seep out. This only occurred when gas was being pumped. Once the gas was in the tank there was no problem.

I ended up replacing both fill hoses. The one on the port side was not cracked. The one on the starboard side was because the hose was about 3 inches too long. instead of shortening the fill hose, they just bent it sharper to get it to fit.
Salmon Fisher

City/Region: Arlington
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Kim Christine
Photos: Kim Christine
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Tugnuts site, they talk about a dip in the vent line causing back ups so make sure you have a straight line.
They also discussed the Clean Way baffle. Here is the link:

https://cleanwayfuelfill.shop/products/clean-way-fuel-fill-10-baffle

Hope this helps.

2004 25 Cruiser-Present

2000 22 Cruiser 2009-2014 (Sold)
2006 25 Cruiser 2014-2019 (Sold)
1985 22 Classic -2019 (Sold)
1991 19 Arima Sea Ranger-2019-2021 (Sold)
2015 27 Ranger Tug-2019-2023 (Sold)
1987 22 Cruiser -2021-2023 (Sold)

Honey, this REALLY will be my last boat, honest!
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Trouble filling gas tank Reply with quote

joewall wrote:
It's good to be back on the site after too many years. I just took possession of a 2018 25 Cruiser and stopped off to fill the tank. I could get no more than 2 gpm into the fill nozzle without it backing up. The Betty Louise (a 22 Cruiser) used to require very slow and careful filling but nothing this bad. I've read the comments in this thread about pockets in the vent line, carbon canisters for vapor absorption, the design of the fill nozzle where the tank vents back to the nozzle, etc.

Since this thread was active, has anyone resolved the issue further? Has anyone experienced this severe a restriction? It took me about 30 minutes to add 51 gallons.

Joe

Do you have fills on both sides? If so, open the opposite side, so it will allow venting. As above there can be a low place in either the vents or the fills. Do you have ports under the small steps on each side, and on the inner side of the cockpit where you can access the fill and vent tubes? If so, check these areas. You should be able to fill a 25's tank fairly rapidly--if the venting is good--if there is any obstruction--it will act as your have observed.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
MikeR

City/Region: Mill Creek
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2016
Photos: MikeR
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Trouble filling gas tank Reply with quote

joewall wrote:
It's good to be back on the site after too many years. I just took possession of a 2018 25 Cruiser and stopped off to fill the tank. I could get no more than 2 gpm into the fill nozzle without it backing up. The Betty Louise (a 22 Cruiser) used to require very slow and careful filling but nothing this bad. I've read the comments in this thread about pockets in the vent line, carbon canisters for vapor absorption, the design of the fill nozzle where the tank vents back to the nozzle, etc.

Since this thread was active, has anyone resolved the issue further? Has anyone experienced this severe a restriction? It took me about 30 minutes to add 51 gallons.

Joe

My theory is the HMT E-Valves that are used in recent years lead to these common problems with venting in the newer boats. Not sure what year they began putting them in, but my 2016 has them (one on each tank) and I often think about removing them. The literature provided by the manufacturer is pretty sparse, with no maintenance information whatsoever. They claim that it seals off the vent when the boat is not in use, and opens when refueling...My thought is, how does this device know when the boat is being re-fueled, and what if that valve doesn't open as it is supposed to? I've had intermittent fueling problems as described especially when I first got my boat, but it seems to have gotten better with time, so now it is rarely a problem. So now I wonder if this mysterious valve-in-a-box is finally stuck in the open position. Besides the info on the link above, your new boat should have also come with some slightly more detailed installation diagrams in the owner's manual/binder that C-Dory supplied with your boat, and you might want to at least confirm that they were installed per the instructions.

-Mike

Last edited by MikeR on Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salmon Fisher wrote:
On Tugnuts site, they talk about a dip in the vent line causing back ups so make sure you have a straight line.
They also discussed the Clean Way baffle. Here is the link:

https://cleanwayfuelfill.shop/products/clean-way-fuel-fill-10-baffle

Hope this helps.

I have one of these. It helps some. The chain retainer for the fill cap gets in the way. You have to sort of press it down on the filler neck to get a good seal. I would take the chains off my fillers, but Murphy's Law says that as soon as I do that one or both caps will say "kerplunk".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: