View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnbenj

City/Region: Bainbridge Island
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1990
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Amoreena
Photos: Rabbit Rabbit
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject: Would this fit and work well in the cockpit of a C-Dory Reply with quote

I've been looking for a way to have a hammock on my 22'. This looks interesting:

Mock ONE: The World's Only Compact Folding Hammock

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/724025998/the-mock-one-the-worlds-only-compact-folding-hammo?
MOOSE

City/Region: Rainy Lake - Int'l. Falls
State or Province: MN
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: MOOSE
Photos: MOOSE
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the photo "Big Bear's Hammock" in the MOOSE album. I bought a small chunk of cargo net that can be attached to the forward end of each roof rail, drooped over the bow rails, and cinched under the bow roller. I use cargo straps of webbing for easy adjustment. This works like a charm and is quite comfortable. And it makes good use of otherwise wasted space. One cannot travel with it in place, so it has to be deployed while at anchor.
ken35216

City/Region: Destin, Florida
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Lady Onyx
Photos: ken35216
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MOOSE wrote:
Check out the photo "Big Bear's Hammock" in the MOOSE album. I bought a small chunk of cargo net that can be attached to the forward end of each roof rail, drooped over the bow rails, and cinched under the bow roller. I use cargo straps of webbing for easy adjustment. This works like a charm and is quite comfortable. And it makes good use of otherwise wasted space. One cannot travel with it in place, so it has to be deployed while at anchor.

Ok, now that's cool! Can an adult use it?

2017 25 Cruiser 200 Yamaha (2017-present)
MOOSE

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only if you sport a Hawaiian shirt and Italian sunglasses!
johnbenj

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MOOSE wrote:

This is awesome! I have a shirt just like Big Bear's. If you had a chance any more detailed pictures of would be very useful for me. thx
MOOSE

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are undoubtedly one cool dude if you have a shirt like his! I do not, however, have another photo as that’s about the only angle I can shoot from on board and get anything. Just lash one corner each to each top rail and the other two under the anchor roller, or even to the bow eye if you don’t have a roller. Cinch straps make adjustment and removal easy. I can measure the size I bought if you give me a day. Cargo net isn’t cheap though. I think I paid $300 for a relatively small piece. But, as I said, it works like a dream if you want a hammock.
MOOSE

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, here's the scoop: The cargo net measures a mere 3' x 6 '. On the edge nearest the cabin roof, is a 1" dowel cable tied to the net, to act as a spreader bar. That end of the net is fastened to the forward ends of the roof rails with cinch straps so that the spreader bar just clears the visor. I placed a reinforcing pop rivet in the two corners of the other end, the end that droops over the bow rail, as there is a fair amount of stress on the webbing seams just there. Those corners are then strapped under the bow roller as described previously. Except for the somewhat exorbitant cost of the cargo net, this hammock is a sweet deal and is very comfortable. Plus, being in the bow, one is always swinging in the breeze and not in the lee of the cabin. Good luck, if you pursue it!
BuildItOnce

City/Region: Poulsbo
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Puzzle Piece
Photos: Puzzle Piece
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Would this fit and work well in the cockpit of a C-Dory Reply with quote

johnbenj wrote:
I've been looking for a way to have a hammock on my 22'. This looks interesting:

Mock ONE: The World's Only Compact Folding Hammock

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/724025998/the-mock-one-the-worlds-only-compact-folding-hammo?

if you were only looking to have a place to sunbathe then maybe this setup that's on one of the C-Dory's on yachtworld right now might work:

https://imgur.com/a/hSeUmD6
Swee Pea

City/Region: Bath
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Swee Pea
Photos: Swee Pea
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:08 pm    Post subject: Moose's Hammock Reply with quote

Question for Moose and his hammock. Does the weight of a human in the hammock place undue stress and weight on the front brow? Do you fit in the 6 foot hammock or do your legs hang off the sides? Would love to see a full profile photo of your setup! With someone in it.

John
Swee Pea
johnbenj

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:36 am    Post subject: Re: Would this fit and work well in the cockpit of a C-Dory Reply with quote

BuildItOnce wrote:

if you were only looking to have a place to sunbathe then maybe this setup that's on one of the C-Dory's on yachtworld right now might work:

https://imgur.com/a/hSeUmD6

That is a lot simpler! Doesn't look as comfortable though.
MOOSE

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Moose's Hammock Reply with quote

Swee Pea wrote:
Question for Moose and his hammock. Does the weight of a human in the hammock place undue stress and weight on the front brow? Do you fit in the 6 foot hammock or do your legs hang off the sides? Would love to see a full profile photo of your setup! With someone in it.

John
Swee Pea

No, it really does not overly stress the bow rail and I'm 6'1" and about 180 lbs. As I said, it is really quite comfortable. And being in the bow, one catches any breeze as opposed to being in the cockpit. Plus the thing rolls up into a bundle no more than 8" in diameter, so it's easy to store.
Al
johnbenj

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Moose's Hammock Reply with quote

MOOSE wrote:

I'm 6'1" and about 180 lbs.

I'm 5'6' (on a good day ) and 170 lbs. (on a bad day). You are skinny!! Very Happy Very Happy
Swee Pea

City/Region: Bath
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Swee Pea
Photos: Swee Pea
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:57 am    Post subject: Hammock Reply with quote

Al, how about taking your 6'1" 180 lb. self, enjoy that hammock, and post some pictures? Laughing Razz Question

John
Swee Pea
MOOSE

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Moose's Hammock Reply with quote

johnbenj wrote:
MOOSE wrote:

I'm 6'1" and about 180 lbs.

I'm 5'6' (on a good day ) and 170 lbs. (on a bad day). You are skinny!! Very Happy Very Happy

And it's quite possible you are circumferencially challenged! Smile

Last edited by MOOSE on Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:34 am; edited 1 time in total
MOOSE

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Hammock Reply with quote

Swee Pea wrote:
Al, how about taking your 6'1" 180 lb. self, enjoy that hammock, and post some pictures? Laughing Razz Question

John
Swee Pea

If there's an opportunity, I'll do it, but don't hold your breath. It's tough to lay in the hammock and take a photo of yourself at the same time, especially out on the lake! Take my word for it, if you want a hammock, this is the way to go.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: