Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobLL

City/Region: Bremerton
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you all can stand a bit of humor: It has become illegal by states' laws as well as some federal laws against eating dogs and horses. Meantime we get outraged by India forbidding eating beef.

I also wondered why the homeless in Seattle don't eat all those pesky sh***ing Canadian Geese. But I digress! I suppose if someone could end up all that 'specie-ism' someone else would claim the right to reintroduce cannibalism.

Makah Indians have been refused permits to hunt even a few Gray Whales every several years. And the political fallout if they did would likely be harmful. I took a fair amount of grief supporting occasional whale hunting. About 5 years later hundreds(?) of Grays died of starvation, but I guess that is OK.

No one is willing to take on Sea Lions, and I understand. From what I hear they may not taste that great. But does anyone actually know?
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man "protects" pinnipeds. Pinnipeds multiply like rabbits and eat most of the salmon. Orca starve. Man is told he can't fish, even though what he takes is miniscule compared to pinnipeds. And he probably soon can't drive a boat in specific areas. Should man cull pinnipeds, feed starving Orca? I mean, we already "raise" artificial salmon in labs...hmmm...

SCIENCE!!! Rolling Eyes

Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RobLL wrote:
No one is willing to take on Sea Lions, and I understand. From what I hear they may not taste that great. But does anyone actually know?

Yes. Not sea lions, but seals. I would guess that they taste the same. Decades ago I spent part of a summer living next to a Makah elder. He claimed (right or wrong) that he had the authority to harvest seals despite the new Marine Mammal Protection Act of 1972. He carried a 30.06 in his little kicker boat when out salmon fishing.

If you have ever eaten a cormorant or a merganser, you will have had the experience. Cormorant looks like duck, but tastes like greasy fish. Seal looks like beef, but tastes like greasy fish. People who find it disgusting are probably having the reaction similar to thinking that you are drinking water but it is milk. YUCK. Because it is not what you expected, it is bad. Actually, fishy beef really is an acquired taste even if you are prepared for the unexpected.

When he came home with a seal, it was obvious. He practically vibrated up the beach to get his bigger knife. Get that warm blubber before it cools. Even his son was disgusted.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've come to realize our society eats too much of about everything.
Also, if hungry, I mean real hungry - say 3 weeks or so w/o food -
most would eat anything. I think there's proof of this out there;
rats, mice, snakes, gators, bugs. After that, what's a fish eating bird?
Even another human (first, check local and federal laws)?

Moreover, it seems true after watching several episodes of "Naked
and Afraid".

As far as 'acquired taste' goes, I go thru that each time I change coffee
brands.

Aye.
Grandma used to say, "We do not live by bread alone."

dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there any restrictions on gefilte fishing? Asking for a friend.

"...we're all in the same boat..."
johnr

City/Region: Bellingham
Vessel Name: Stillwater
Photos: Surf Scoter
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Hunkydory"][quote="Marco Flamingo"]
nimrod wrote:

Still, the people, who are having most of the children are the ones, who can afford them the least. The world population has increased to over 7 billion & as much as our country is subject to degradation here & abroad, it is still a wonderland & magnet of opportunity to enough of those 7 billion people to turn this country into what they are justifiably trying to escape. So our own more recent huge population increase is not due to birth rates, but rather the huge increase in both legal & illegal immigration & to “give us your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breath free” not apropos to our present state.

Jay

Yeah! As they say, "My grandfather did not travel across 4,000 miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this country overrun by immigrants."
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hunkydory wrote:
Marco Flamingo wrote:
nimrod wrote:

"It's people!"

jd

Washington is one of the fastest growing states. And the new tax bill doubles the child tax credit? Who decided that we need more children and that people who don't have children should subsidize those who have lots? Shouldn't there at least be a numeric limit? When will people finally figure out that what we need is a tax deduction for people not having children? 9 billion? 11 billion?

I always voted for property tax increases for schools. My theory was that we needed smarter children. That hasn't worked out. I voted against my first one last year. I have a new theory. There is only so much intelligence in the world. We are now dividing the pie up in very thin slices.

Mark

Your theory on intelligence & dividing had JoLee & I laughing.

My thought on the 1st part are thus; In the US, as of 1972 our replacement birth rate has not increased our population.

http://www.susps.org/overview/immigration.html

Still, the people, who are having most of the children are the ones, who can afford them the least. The world population has increased to over 7 billion & as much as our country is subject to degradation here & abroad, it is still a wonderland & magnet of opportunity to enough of those 7 billion people to turn this country into what they are justifiably trying to escape. So our own more recent huge population increase is not due to birth rates, but rather the huge increase in both legal & illegal immigration & to “give us your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breath free” not apropos to our present state.

Jay

Being as Johnr’s humor was a quote from me posted in this thread near the start, way back in January, I thought it relevant to clarify context, so here is the unedited version along with the following related post made by me before & after.

“My not so cheery winter thoughts for today. Yes, it’s the people as in numbers of people. When I was a youngster in the early 1960’s few of these problems were evident at least in the West, the US had around 180,000,000 people now 325,000,000. Yet our birth rates are now at a historic low. To many of the folk, who are active in wanting to solve our environmental problems are the same ones who support the politicians who proscribe to semi or completely open borders wanting cheap labor for both small & large business & votes to keep them in power. The example here of the fish is a microcosm of our country & then of the world. All that is being done & most likely will be done to address these problems are like the little boys finger in the Dutch dike, until the root problem of to many people for the environment to support is addressed. We are a long ways down the road from the days when small tribes lived along the river & overfishing was not a concern, much like the plains Indians & buffalo hunting. In the long run, the Stillaguamish chinook are doomed much like the buffalo were. Allowing even more fishing could make their demise quick or working on habitat slow, but the fish like the buffalo are doomed with the continued drastic increase in human population. I see a even more reduced will in this increased population to make the changes necessary for a positive outcome for the fish & intern, eventually for us “

“Since 1972, the US population has increased 115 million people or 55% with roughly 12.5 million of those, illegals & none of that increase is due to birth rate. That equals the present population of our 5 most populated states & now the most populated state & many of the large cities are sanctuary areas for illegals. This is not a straight left/right issue as one party predominantly wants the cheap labor & the other the power from their votes, which has lead to what has become unfettered immigration if not in strict definition at least in reality of numbers. You are right Marty in that the majority of the people are against it, but the people who have been in power & many who still are have & continue to allow it to go on. This is not a racist issue, though many try to make it so. My oldest granddaughter is half Mexican & her Mexican family who are legal immigrants or their decendents, know their present wages & jobs are at risk from the illegals or large numbers of allowed legal immigrants, Mexican or not. It’s not just the environment being put at risk.”

Marty has concluded from this thread, “the root appears to be climate change and warming of the waters.” My opinion is the climate has been changing for eons with animal & plant species either adapting to the change or being replaced with what does, but at the present it’s not even a close contender to being a root cause for the low salmon count in the PNW. What has radically changed is the human population, which has doubled in Seattle alone, since just 1970. It’s very strange to me, how so many will readily accept global warming as being human caused & the present human world wide population unsustainable environmentally, but close there minds to the environmental cost of our own population increasing by 115,000,000 since just 1972 with a neutral USA birthdate during this time period. It’s seems many won’t connect the dots between more houses on land, boats on the water, cars on the streets & less fish in the water to the increase of people there locally or just to busy squabbling over what little remains to seek viable long term options. It’s near uncorrectable now & imagine another doubling or more of the present population.

Jay

dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Jay you are right, in a sense. I'm not a scientist but it's obvious that the exponential growth in population has been caused by our industrial and scientific discoveries over the past generations. We're living longer, preventing and curing illnesses. As a consequence people are more affluent and, to be simplistic, make more things in industry and use more things like cars. Consequently we pollute and harm the environment. We know how to control this devastation but because of politics , cultural differences and just plain refusal to accept that there will be a personal cost to fighting this battle, we are losing it .It's a real tough war, but make no mistake, we are the enemy.
I really admire you Jay, and I'm glad you get to explore and write about those wonderful nooks and crannyies and glaciers of Alaska before they melt .
Marty
johnr

City/Region: Bellingham
Vessel Name: Stillwater
Photos: Surf Scoter
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dotnmarty wrote:
Well Jay you are right, in a sense. I'm not a scientist but it's obvious that the exponential growth in population has been caused by our industrial and scientific discoveries over the past generations. We're living longer, preventing and curing illnesses. As a consequence people are more affluent and, to be simplistic, make more things in industry and use more things like cars. Consequently we pollute and harm the environment. We know how to control this devastation but because of politics , cultural differences and just plain refusal to accept that there will be a personal cost to fighting this battle, we are losing it .It's a real tough war, but make no mistake, we are the enemy.
I really admire you Jay, and I'm glad you get to explore and write about those wonderful nooks and crannyies and glaciers of Alaska before they melt .
Marty

This is not quite right. Generally, and by mathematical definition, density independent growth (i.e. population growth) is exponential. Medical and scientific advancements serve only to decrease the doubling time of a population, but growth is exponential regardless. Science and medicine don't cause exponential growth....making babies does.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: