The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

1986 22’ can it sink
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
1Wiley

City/Region: Bay area
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1986
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Vessel Name: Fidelio
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject: 1986 22’ can it sink Reply with quote

Hi all,
I’m the new owner of an ol’ classic 86’ and I’m wondering will it sink to the bottom or stay partially afloat in the worst of situations? I looked under the forward cushions and there’s no foam in there like I’ve read the newer ones have.
Thanks
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any boat can sink--and I have crossed oceans on boats which were "lead mines"==racing and cruising sailboats--with zero floatation.

Now, what are you going to do to keep your risk of sinking to a minimum?

I have heard of two C Dory's which got in trouble. One was anchored stern too some serious waves, and swamped over the transom/sides. If the boat had anchored by the bow, or been underway, even drifting, there would not have been an incident.

The second was one which was caught in the surf, and rolled. Just dumb decisions lead to these. If you want, buy some diver's air bags and a tank of air or CO2 to inflate them with. The foam in the bow in some boats (which some remove) will not keep the boat floating upright or in a position where it could be bailed out. An inflatable dinghy or life raft would be your "life boat" if the boat were to swamp or sink.

Don't sweat it. My 25 does not have the foam. I had wished that the 22's didn't when I owned them.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
1Wiley

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My concerns are in a dire situation would there be enough boat floating to hold onto ? See I had a near miss with a shark when I was a kid and it instilled a healthy fear into me. That being said I fish in great white territory and a rubber life boat just won’t do it for me. I’m hopeful of something to climb up on if needed.
Plus it’s Shark Week.! Not helping my fears.. but can’t stop watching, like a train wreck...
thataway

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have swum in waters where there were great white sharks. They don't come up and "grab you"--their preferred food is seals and fish. Most attacks of great whites are where a human is mistaken for a seal. (wet suit). I spent a lot of time (working at the summer camp, and in my own boats) in a cove at Catalina where there was a great white which spent a great deal of time off Long Point. We would row out to look at it. There were about 150 young tender kids swimming off the beach a few hundred yards away twice a day. The shark never came in that shallow. You are perfectly safe in an inflatable or life raft.

Have you ever tried to hang on the bottom of the bow of a boat capsized and barely floating? The best way to make the boat "unsinkable" would be inflation bags as I noted--or you can put foam under the gunnels, --up high in the forward cabin--and put in some foam under the bunk, if you really want to. I am not aware of any C Dory just "sinking"--One of the beauties is that there are no thru hulls (unless someone has put one in). The boats handle rough water well. But don't go out in gale force winds.

I am very familiar with Bay area waters--I have sailed up and down the coast during the last 50 years. Never worried about sharks--OK I hit a basking shark once, and was worried about how much damage I did to the shark...
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1Wiley wrote:
My concerns are in a dire situation would there be enough boat floating to hold onto ? See I had a near miss with a shark when I was a kid and it instilled a healthy fear into me. That being said I fish in great white territory and a rubber life boat just won’t do it for me. I’m hopeful of something to climb up on if needed.
Plus it’s Shark Week.! Not helping my fears.. but can’t stop watching, like a train wreck...

Even it there was something left for you to hold onto, it is unlikely to be large enough to let you get out of the water, so it wouldn't help your shark thing much. Best case would be that the boat floats level but awash and you could get on the cabin roof but that configuration is probably going to rely on air trapped by the cabin ceiling rather than any flotation in the boat itself.

You could get something like an inflatable double or queen size mattress and rig up a bottle supplied inflation system. If things got real bad, inflate the mattress at the ceiling of the cabin. It may displace enough water to keep the boat floating. The other thing to consider is that the cabin roof is applied as a separate piece. Is it attached well enough to hold the boat up if the mattress system is actually used?
tomherrick

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some years ago I was considering some kind of auto-inflating collar at the waterline. I found that someone else had come up with it - Yachtsaver - but they're out of business. There appears to be another company with a similar product - http://floatechmarine.com/products.html. Not sure if they're actually providing the product yet or not. Their last Facebood post was in 2014... I do like the idea of keeping the hull upright in the event of a remote mishap.
ssobol

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like the inflation video is sped up a fair amount. Even then the floats take awhile to inflate. Might not be that helpful if you really need them if they take minutes to inflate. There should be some sort of fast inflation system like for aircraft escape slides or flotation bags on helicopters.
tomherrick

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inflation took around 30 seconds in a definitely sped-up video. Hard for me to judge how fast they really took. I'd hope they would inflate as quickly as a life raft.
Also, a better link: http://floatechmarine.com
1Wiley

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting video.. tomherrick
thataway

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could make your own floatation system. I just got thru making a number of projects using ShelterRite material (this is a Poly Vinyl coating over Dacron Scrim--it is similar to inflatable boat material.) I used HH 66 Glue--and it give an airtight bond. Put in an inflatable boat valve, like Halkey-Roberts and attach a CO2 cylinder--manually operated. We used a CO2 cylinder with manual operation on our 13 foot Achillies HD inflatable as a back up for life raft on ocean crossings on our sailboat we cruised to Europe and back. It would inflate the boat in a minute.--in fact you had to watch out to be sure you didn't over inflate. You could make the floatation bag to fit any space--lets say the V bunk area--simple to make just two triangles, connected by a strip of the fabric all around its perimeter. Cost would be in the less than $200 category.
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1Wiley, it sounds like you need this boat - https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2011/Rosborough-Roughwater-9.11-RHIB-3147152/Eastpoint/FL/United-States?refSource=browse listing#.W1-kh0ycFdg

Mr. Green Mr. Green I would love it but even with several price reductions it is still above my pay grade!!

Regards,

Rob

localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...or this one.

http://eastblu.info/cache/33/BingImages_31249.png

tomherrick

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps there are some DIY instructions for the uninitiated... I was trying to calc. backing up from the estimated boat weight to the volume of air needed for support, to the amount of compressed air at a "standard" tank pressure needed to fill the bags; then onto a reasonable-looking, durable protective cover that would open under a certain amount of internal pressure (but how to stay closed...?), etc., etc., etc... All over my pay grade, but I did enjoy learning a bit about the process. If I could find good tech guidance it might get back into the picture on my already achingly long-term boat project... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
ssobol

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
... It would inflate the boat in a minute.--in fact you had to watch out to be sure you didn't over inflate. ...

They make relief valves for inflatable boats you could use to prevent over inflation.
1Wiley

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To her Rick,, wow those are some amazing projects you’ve got going there
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: