The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Tips for fishing Isle Royale

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MichaelSmith

City/Region: new york
State or Province: CA
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:16 am    Post subject: Tips for fishing Isle Royale Reply with quote

Hi,

This summer, I will be hiking across Isle Royale National Park with some friends, and I hope to be able to fish both the island's inland lakes and Lake Superior. That being said, I haven't really gone fishing since I was a boy, so I am looking for some input on what gear to bring and maybe how to use it.My goals: Catch some fish to clean, cook, and eat while hiking. I am not interested in sport fishing; I just want to extract delicious food from nature. Since I am hiking, I want my kit to be as light as possible. My priority list for choosing gear is lightweight > idiot proof> inexpensive. Our current itinerary has us visiting Desor and Chickenbone. It is also possible that we will camp at Hatchet. Proposed gear: A small, sectioned container for tackle, tackle, rod, fillet knife, stringer.

For More Details:-
Product animation studio

Thanks!
MOOSE

City/Region: Rainy Lake - Int'l. Falls
State or Province: MN
C-Dory Year: 2001
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: MOOSE
Photos: MOOSE
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago we canoed extensively in Northern Ontario. I always said if I had to chose one lure it would be a Mepps spinner. They come in different sizes and colors, but pack easily and are effective for all sorts of species. Bring a few wire leaders if you think some of the inland lakes have northern pike, which I would guess they do. Good luck.
johnr

City/Region: Bellingham
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Stillwater
Photos: Surf Scoter
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been years since I've backpacked there, but I do remember that the fishing in the inland lakes (Lake Halloran especially) was so good and easy that it didn't really matter what I fished with. I have a light, collapsable fishing rod that I take backpacking and for Isle Royale, to fish the inland lakes, I just had some hooks for live bait (worms), a couple of bobbers, some steel leaders and some generic spinners. If you hang some grubs or worms from a bobber you're going to catch fish you can eat there.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First thing, check the regulations for fishing inland lakes in Isle Royal, and also for fishing the shore waters of Lake Superior. No license is needed for inside waters, but no live bait allowed, just barbless hooks and lures. For the Lake Superior waters, you need a Michigan fishing license. I just bought one, $77 for out of state annual.
DavidHarding

City/Region: Orlando
State or Province: FL
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its been years for me too I haven't fished yet.
DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Growing up in California and fishing many of the streams, rivers and lakes there, my favorite go to lure is a #6 Panther Martin spinner (Brass spoon with black feathers over the treble and a small red yarn tied to the base of the hook). The lead base of the lure is black with 4 small yellow dots painted in-line. Great lure. Works for Largemouth and Smallmouth Bass too. Can be found everywhere that sells fishing supplies. Goodluck and have fun. Check to make sure it is legal where you plan to fish thought. Love this lure.
tarquin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DayBreak wrote:
Growing up in California and fishing many of the streams, rivers and lakes there, my favorite go to lure is a #6 Panther Martin spinner (Brass spoon with black feathers over the treble and a small red yarn tied to the base of the hook). The lead base of the lure is black with 4 small yellow dots painted in-line. Great lure. Works for Largemouth and Smallmouth Bass too. Can be found everywhere that book of ra online kostenlos. Goodluck and have fun. Check to make sure it is legal where you plan to fish thought. Love this lure.

Good to know! Thanks.
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby won't admit it, but Isle Royale can be a bit on the cool side this time of year.

Happy launches!
John

colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a bit on the cool side even in the summer. When we went across Two years ago, July 5th, I was reading 46 degrees I believe... Colby
C-Green

City/Region: Houghton
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Green
Photos: C-Green
PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First - isn't 46 degrees warm? After all it's liquid!
Now on to fishing which I've had some experience at at Isle Royale. Colby got the regulations spot on and most of the lure and equipment recommendations are good but of course everyone has their own favorites. To get the regs in writing go to the nps.gov/greenstone webpage and go to the 2019 (latest as of now) version and go to page 8; lots of other valuable info in the greenstone. So don't take any baits or scents and don't look for barbless lures - just buy regular ones and pinch the barbs flat against the shafts with a pair of pliers. I would get a light to medium action pack rod with a spin reel -closed face or open face, my preference is open) but I know they are making good bait casting reels now also. 4, 6 or 8 pound test line. All the aforementioned equipment is for inland lakes. Best way to fish them is with a pack raft but not worth the money - just plan on wading near the shore - many shores are tough to fish from. Most common fish is northern pike which are great eating - go to youtube to find out how to filet them, I like Keagan4123's https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBFrQ5KMIs8 just remember he is a profressional. Chickenbone also has walleye and perch. Make sure to get a variety of lures types and colors and switch if not catching anything. No one mentioned spoons like a dare devil or cleos which also work well. For the big lake larger everything is needed plus that fishing license, You can get a 24 hour license at Rock Harbor (and I think Windigo) and that is what I recommend as they are better spots for shore fishing the big lake. So if that what you want, I'd say buy a few larger lures and hope you get a small laker that won't break you line and that you'll share with campground neighbors. Enjoy your trip. Oh, and be sure to pack only for hot, cold, wet and dry weather.

Jay
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: