The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

1989 Cruiser Wood stain color suggestions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gcrown22

City/Region: Northwest
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1989
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: gcrown22
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:24 am    Post subject: 1989 Cruiser Wood stain color suggestions Reply with quote

I am trying to stain or put a coat of something on my 89 cruiser wood hand rails that are very dry and lost all original color
The stain I have tried is too dark and looks more red than it should
Can someone suggest the right product and how to now get rid of the very dark stain I put on 1 handle already thanks
Pedromo

City/Region: Oxnard
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: C-Casa
Photos: C-Casa
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use 2-part wood bleach. Buy it a a paint store. Be very careful, wear gloves and eye protection
homerjack

City/Region: Homer
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1988
Vessel Name: 49er
Photos: 49er
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope that you sanded down the rails before staining. Sanding may also remove the dark stain. Mine were in similar shape. I took them off boat and sanded them to get back to natural wood color and then applied couple of coats of Cetol natural teak. I think you'll like that color.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are number of ways to "treat teak". Some like it the aged "silver gray". (do nothing but wash it with salt water and "joy". Some like the sanded look--and "Simco" teak protectorate or sealant will maintain that. Then there is the oiled (any Teak oil--but often the oils gather dirt and soot if in the air). There are several types of "Cetol"--Natural Teak or clear is probably what you want--the oil with multiple coats, and then put on the Sealant "Clear gloss wood finish". This is a hard finish, but not as hard as varnish. It can be touched up.

When cleaning teak, be very cautious of caustic brighteners. They dissolve the self grain in the wood, and you end up with groves in the grain--if you brush, with the brightener, go across the grain, not with the grain! Sanding is always a good way, but it does wear away the wood with time.

Generally stains are oil based and a good paint thinner will remove a considerable part of the stain, probably enough that some light sanding with 120, 240 and then 400. Don't go any less than the 400. Always sand with the grain! If you want to varnish, hit the teak with acetone before the first coat to remove any surface oil.

I use Tri sodium phosphate (same stuff to clean the waterway smile off the hull. You can get a lifetime supply of crystals at a paint or big box store. Make a saturated solution. I just did the inside of our boat's teak--no sanding necessary, just TSP and teak oil--looks like new.

We always came back to a quality varnish on our large cruising boats. The 62 foot ketch we cruised on for 4 years, we had to re-do the varnish every 6 to 8 weeks in the tropics. It was a several day job. There was over 100 sq feet of varnished teak--plus teak decks (only washed with salt water and Joy, scrubbed across the grain with a medium brush). On the Cal 46 we had done the whole Cetol thing, with 10 coats of the natural, and 3 coats of the finish in the PNW (only a couple of hand rails, and the entire toe rail, about 3" high and 1 1/2" wide)--it worked great there. But when we got in the Tropics, the UV light thru residual salt crystals began breaking it down--so we went back to multiple coats of varnish. Another way is using a clear epoxy, and then varnishing over it to give UV protection...problem is if you get moisture under the epoxy, it can lift, and make a defect. Also the wood moves, more than the epoxy can give...so you can end up with cracks.

Your choice.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
homerjack

City/Region: Homer
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1988
Vessel Name: 49er
Photos: 49er
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great write-up Bob.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: