View previous topic :: View next topic  
thechadmiller

City/Region: Portland
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Agostino
Photos: Agostino
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: Any cons to camper back? Reply with quote

All the nice things about getting a camper canvas back on my C-22 are pretty obvious living in the PNW.

I was curious if there are any disadvantages? Like, getting on and off, docking, towing? Would a more simple Bimini make more sense?

thanks.
C-Val

City/Region: White Rock
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 1988
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Seaduced
Photos: C-Val
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also was thinking of a camper back for my 22 Angler
Will listen to your suggestions

1988 22' Angler
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest disadvantage is that a camper back costs $2-3K to have one made.

A bimini can be had for a couple hundred $.
Fairbro

City/Region: Prescott
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Minnie Swann
Photos: Minnie Swann
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Camper back with stainless tubing and good quality Sunbrella and zip open windows with screens will indeed run $3000 plus. Mine was that much back in 2002. It will keep the whole cockpit bone dry if you keep your boat in the water though. I never once regretted going with the full camper enclosure. Mine lasted the 11 years I owned the boat and was in good condition when I sold her. It did not hamper entry or exit because I had snaps on the cabin roof rear overhang. Easy on and off from either side. I suppose you could ask your canvas guy or gal if it’s posible to make a Bimini that they could add side curtains to later if desired.

It's something in the water!
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Putting it on. Taking it off. Storing it. Storing it without damage. Getting on/off the boat. We would use it more in winter etc. We have usd it a few times when the wind picked up.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not at all difficult to add a camper back curtains to a quality Bimini. I had Harbor Custom Canvas in Long Beach, CA. do that to my first 22. As I recollect I didn't have screens made, just the clear windows. About $1200 at that time, but I had been a long time customer, which may have made some difference. For my Tom Cat the outstanding camper back without screens was over $4500. It had free standing Bimini, with 4 bows of 1" SS. We used Sunbrella Plus and high quality window material. We had a 2' wide section which would zip out for boarding. My current 25 Bimini also has the first 18" which will zip out, (zipper in front and back, with velcro to seal, and make watertight.)

I bought a Camper Canvas from King for my first 25 ($2500)--it was poorly made, and I was not happy. My 2nd 22 had a King Camper canvas, and it was well made and a quality product. It may depend on who does the sewing and what the shop's policy is.

My current 25 was advertised with "full Camper Canvas"--when I got there, it had full screens only. No way to keep the water out. Building on an idea I got from Mark( Marco Flamingo), I made an entire set of windows/enclosure, with 30 MIL. clear Vinyl (least expensive, very flexible), I used ShelterRite, which is an 18 Oz vinyl boat cover material, with a Polyester Scrim weave. Very strong and totally water proof. I attached it with Common Sense Fasteners to the upper part of the zip in screen panels. Along the over taping edges I also used common sense fasteners. So far it seems fine to leave the lower edge free, inside of the snaps of the screens. However it would only take couple of hours to add snaps to the bottom if necessary.

The total cost was less than $500, Including enough fabric to make a cover for my Honda EU 2200i and a large rain fly to go over the entire foredeck, so I can keep the center window and forward hatch open in a heavy rain storm. The cost included a better 1/8" punch, a better commercial grade snap fastener anvil and flare tool, a common sense fastener grommet punch, hard rubber cutting block, and a pair of 8" quality shears. (All of these were about $100, and all that was necessary)- The entire camper "canvas" was glued, including to the windows with HH 66 Vinyl glue. It took over less than half the time it would have taken to sew the camper canvas, and was significantly cheaper. (seeing I already had the screens). Disadvantage, is that the screens have to go up first, then the water proof enclosure goes inside of the screens. Advantage--it really is water proof and I took the waterproof enclosure all the way back to include the splash well.! This same technique could be used with a good Bimini--but probably you would want to re-inforce the edges for the Common Sense Fasteners--and having the "zip out" windows or smiley faces would be difficult, if not impossible. we never used the smiley faces or zip out windows. We would throw the sides up over the top of the Bimini. I made adjustable straps, with snaps which will hold the sides over the top.

With the current setup--I can either strap the curtains over the top, or putting the curtains up or down, only takes a couple of minutes. I will do a tutorial on what I did as a part of the "Thataway" update.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
nimrod

City/Region: Mount Vernon
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: 'Berta's Boy
Photos: 'Berta's Boy
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggest disadvantage I've run across - it gets in the way when you're fishing.

otherwise, I've never once regretted getting one and use it most times out.

jd
DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't have a Camper Back on our boat but they do look like they would make fishing more difficult. One more thing to maintain and you have to put more holes in your boat.
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done right, I don’t see downsides to a camper back. They can be stowed against the house to be out of the way for cockpit activities like fishing. It’s nice to have shade and to have extra dry space.

One thing we and our canvas shop missed was not having zippered access through the top. When you’re at a dock, it’s great to be able to step in and out of the boat without getting on hands and knees, or without unsnapping from the cabin roof. We missed that feature.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many of the Bimini tops have an "awning rail" extrusion in aluminum or plastic, which is screwed to the aft upper edge of cabin house. There will a a"bolt rope" which slides into the awning rail--and there should be a zipper between the bolt rope; piece attached to the Aft pilot house roof. In our current boat the small (about 2" wide for and aft) Sunbrella is attached to the bolt rope, and then has a zipper to the first panel of the Bimini. This same bolt rope, Sunbrella & Zipper, also attaches the forward end of the Slant back cockpit cover.
Two Bears

City/Region: Orofino
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Two Bears
Photos: Two Bears
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me Steve (Wandering Sagebrush) hit the big consideration.

Entering and leaving the boat can be quite a bit more difficult depending on how the camper back is made. My camper-back has the canvas "bimni" top held up by the "hoop" at the back with another "hoop" rising to the center of the top from the rear hoop. To get on or off the boat you unzip the top canvas from the back of the boat top/ bolt rope as Bob described earlier. That opens a big hole overhead that allows you to exit by climbing the steps while standing upright.

Some camper tops have a tube extending from the back of the boat top to the rear. To enter or exit you MUST duck under that bar. Sort of like doing the "Limbo" dance, but on a boat/ dock/ dink. My boat has the first kind but at some gatherings I've tried to enter the other kind and find it much more difficult to enter or exit than my boat. To enter or exit you must crawl which especially difficult if you are a tall person. When docking for example, I drive and the Admiral "hooks" a cleat on the dock while I bring the boat to a stop. She has unzipped the canvas top from the back of the cabin top as "prep" as we approach the dock. I can put the boat in nutral, go to the rear and step on the dock in 3 steps and be on the dock in about 3 seconds with fore and aft dock lines in my hands and have complete control of the boat. I'd think doing the "limbo dance" for me would be a 10 or 15 second chore. If the wind is blowing you off the dock that may be take too long to get on the dock and control the boat.

I've asked the owners with "limbo dance tops" how they survive and most look at me with a blank stare. They bought the boat with the rigid camper back and don't understand what they don't have. For me, if I were buying a another or a new boat the easy opening top allowing for normal upright climbing and standing would be a MUST have. Even professionals don't always understand. This spring at the Florida gathering a "canvas" maker from a local dealer attended. He apparently only does the hard top type canvas camper backs and when I asked about getting on and off he gave me the blank stare. I guess he likes doing he Limbo but I sure don't when in a hurry or even when not in a hurry.

Chuck

Fairbro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like everything else it all depends on how you use your boat. If you trailer your boat I’d say no camper top because you’d have to put it up and take it down often. (As you would a Bimini if you care about it) If you keep your boat in a slip for the season it’s a nice addition that enables you to enjoy cozy, rainy weekends aboard for you wish and allows more use of the cockpit. I had a mooring cover too but seldom used it because of the pooling problem no matter how many props I used. As I said before I had mine 11years and only took it down to wash it a few times. You become an expert taking down the side curtains and storing them. Mine had 5 panels. Unzipand remove in order port-to-back-to-starboard. Lay them flat, one atop the other in order on the cabin table. ROLL not fold, them to lay the roll against the hull side of the vee berth. Do everything in reverse order to put back together. 4 minutes tops after doing it 5 times. MOST IMPORTANT: Do not let well meaning guests or spouse help you!
Wandering Sagebrush

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck, that “limbo top” comment made my day! Yup, I learned the hard way about the limbo top, and the older I get... the less limbo I get. I should get off my duff and go back to the canvas shop and have our top modified. It will mean getting the side windows and mooring cover modified as well, but it would be worth it.
Wandering Sagebrush

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fairbro wrote:
Like everything else it all depends on how you use your boat. If you trailer your boat I’d say no camper top because you’d have to put it up and take it down often. (As you would a Bimini if you care about it) If you keep your boat in a slip for the season it’s a nice addition that enables you to enjoy cozy, rainy weekends aboard for you wish and allows more use of the cockpit. I had a mooring cover too but seldom used it because of the pooling problem no matter how many props I used. As I said before I had mine 11years and only took it down to wash it a few times. You become an expert taking down the side curtains and storing them. Mine had 5 panels. Unzipand remove in order port-to-back-to-starboard. Lay them flat, one atop the other in order on the cabin table. ROLL not fold, them to lay the roll against the hull side of the vee berth. Do everything in reverse order to put back together. 4 minutes tops after doing it 5 times. MOST IMPORTANT: Do not let well meaning guests or spouse help you!

We put cheap fleece blankets between the layers before we roll them up. I’m not sure it’s needed, but I don’t want the windows to scratch.
Fairbro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might be an interesting poll subject. Maybe our moderator could pose a question like: if you have a full camper enclosure would you do it again?
(My answer (yes)
I’m reminded of what a clever realtor told my son when I advised him against buying a house with a pool. The seller said: The only home owners that don’t like pools are the ones that don’t have one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: