View previous topic :: View next topic  
smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:41 am    Post subject: Long cruise equipment check list Reply with quote

A friend and I are planning a 6 to 8 week cruise from the Seattle area to somewhere north of the Queen Charlottes. My boat is adequately (just) equipped for such a journey, but his boat (an Osprey) is new and lightly equipped.

I've been searching the C-Brat site for a list of recommended equipment for such a cruise (many of you have done such cruises). Anyone know of an existing comprehensive list of:

"Equipment and stuff you should have on your boat if you're going on a long cruise to remote areas"
JOHN C

City/Region: Cleveland
State or Province: OH
Vessel Name: Mighty Wench
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:27 am    Post subject: list Reply with quote

I checked all the blogs I could find for the PNW to prepare for our two trips and there were a lot of them at the time. Many of them had such lists. Recommend a search, there are probably still a bunch of them.

The problem is how much money you have and what you can fit. We ran across one guy who thought you needed a boat of at least 60 ft, so it is a moving target.

John

Lollygaggin

City/Region: Kelowna
State or Province: BC
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off the top of my head I'd say the mandatory equipment would include; paper charts, chart plotter and chips, VHF radio, depth sounder, radar, sailing instructions for the harbours that you plan to visit, and a good heater or furnace of some kind. Luxury equipment that some people may say is mandatory would probably include AIS, auto pilot and fridge/freezer combo. This list might serve to get you started and while this equipment is being installed there will probably be a lot of further advice from the experienced folks on this site. Remember, although it's summer, the temperatures can get chilli and the air is always quite humid. We prefer diesel heat and even tend to run it regularly in the summer mornings, even if it's just to "dry" the boat out.
All the best with your preparations and your trip.
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paper charts? Eh, a Canadian! I am not touching the "paper charts are required in Canada" contention but they certainly are not required in U.S. Paper charts are next to useless for navigation at the helm. You may know where the rock is on the chart, but you do not know, really know, where your boat is in relation to the rock while moving through the water.

Our "long cruise" was 5,428 miles, but not north. As far as I can see, the only thing going north requires that we did not need on the Great Loop is heat. I agree with the recommendation for diesel heat. We have a Webasto. Otherwise, here is what I think the necessary list is:

1. Two iPads or an iPad and an iPhone with any navigation app that supports Active Captain. I have Garmin Blue Chart Mobile (no longer available but if you have it, the AC data can still be updated) or my new favorite, Aqua Map. To me, the dedicated chart plotter is going the way of the dinosaur, way too expensive for the equipment and the cartography is just extortionate. You already have the smart phone, and quite possibly an iPad, but if not, a refurbished iPad is maybe $300. The apps are all $50 or less for U.S. and Canada. If you don't know about and use Active Captain, you are living in the stone ages!

2. A depth sounder. Critical!

3. A good VHF radio at the helm and a good handheld VHF radio. If you are getting a new VHF radio, should be one with AIS.

4. A good heavy anchor and lots of chain and rode.

5. A dinghy to get to and from the shore.

6. Whatever you need for storing food and preparing meals.

7. An EPIRB and ditch bag - I don't have these yet, but they are now high on my "must have" list before the next significant cruise.

We try never to be cruising in the fog. We have radar but in 13 years have only used it about three times, once in Alaska and a couple of times in the San Juans. These days AIS seems more valuable than radar, since it shows you where other vessels are, their name, course and speed, and time to collision!

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Lollygaggin

City/Region: Kelowna
State or Province: BC
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yikes!!! I forgot about an EPIRB or a personal position indicator as well as a dinghy. (thanks Pat) The dinghy is handy for putting ashore in places that are too rocky to beach your boat. We recently got rid of our 9.9hp outboard in favor of a 3.5 for the dinghy. It won't get the inflatable on a plain but it only weighs 37 lbs and it beats the heck out of paddling against those swells.
Be safe, have fun.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Extra fuses, a spare macerator and water pump if you boats have these. Extra electrical wire and crimper, connectors and volt meter.

Spare prop (props), with castle nut, cotor pins and thrust washers. Water pump impeller. spare fuel filters. Extra gaskets for oil change, if necessary--both engine and lower unit. Spare hydraulic fluid if hydraulic steering.

Tool kit: including prop wrench, large and small crescent wrenches, Vise grips, including needle nose, large and small standard, and chain vice grips. Socket set, diagonal wire cutters, hardened or carbide jaws if fishing. Needle nose pliers, Screw drivers, including very small, Robertson, and zero clearance. ratchet type.

Self fusing tape, electrical and duct tape

Method of anchoring dinghy, or pulling it well up on shore.

Shrimp and crab pots, with adequate line (400 feet for Shrimp) Fishing gear.

I carry a folding shovel (German war surplus is far better than US), A hatchet, and machete. Large folding knife. Multi tool--such as Letterman Wave.

Extra anchor shackles, Stern anchor, and rode. I also carry a fortress sized to be a main anchor for sand and mud. Sufficient line to anchor in 100 feet of water. Tow line and bridle.

Shade for the forward hatch (sun doesn't go down until very late)

We carried HAM radio gear. The InReach (now by Garmin) for tracking and for sending 160 character messages via satellite.

Tablet with back up navigation (Navionics app). Definitely a Personal Locator Beacon (we have 3--one for each person and one for the ditch bag.)

Ditch bag: Multi tool, compact vinyl tarps and space blanket for each person. matches or lighter/fire starting material. rocket flares. compass--hand bearing. waterproof hand held VHF radio, with AA battery holder and at least a dozen AA batteries. Quality flashlight--with S O S, or ability to send S O S. Fishing package, first aid package, SS leader material with swages. Dacron line or paracord.

First Aid kit, to cover all contingencies where you may not get medical attention for a day or two.

Camper back enclosure. rain tight and bug screens. Insect repellant

Container spare water. Water purification tablets, or filter for contaminated water

We always carry a back up cooking (if a Wallas, then a single propane burner)

Be sure batteries are in good shape. Spare batteries for all devices on the boat-include AA AAA, 9V, Andy speciality batteries. I have a card of the small flat cells I carry--all types for about $3 at Ace.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat Anderson wrote:
Paper charts? Paper charts are next to useless for navigation at the helm.

Yes, but what has been left out of everybody's list is toilet paper. On board the Limpet, I have a rule that every item must serve a dual purpose. So maybe paper charts should be included.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
olsurfdog

City/Region: Carmel Valley
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1989
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Summer
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat Anderson wrote:

.... Paper charts are next to useless for navigation at the helm. ....

Hmmmmm, How did sailors ever get around before chart plotters?????
I’m old so maybe tihis doesn’t count, but, I managed quite well for more years without a plotter than with. I think I’m not the only one!
I love my older but still really nice plotter but still have a chart out or handy for the “big” view. So far never had a chart go on the blink either!
Never had to use it (plotter or chart) as TP either — good thing, it sounds uncomfortable.

Because I was where I was
Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget beer.
Throw most other stuff out and
pack more beer.
Maybe you don't realize:
Thirst is a dangerous thing.

Aye.

Anita Marie

City/Region: Oak Harbor
Vessel Name: Anita Marie
Photos: Anita Marie and Little Buddy
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple very good flashlights including a head lamp.
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the posts made you can pick out a adequate list of essential or not so essential items. Personally, I think with having the iPhone or iPad & a dedicated electronic chart paper charts are not needed, but I have brought along on all our cruises this laminated large view chart, though with two iPads to quickly access any view desired from large to small scale it was not used except when talking to other cruisers sharing information.

Two items perhaps not essential, but to me worth there space on a very crowded CD22 are a small generator like the Honda 1000 or 2000 & a ceramic heater.

Jay

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After you layout all your stuff, take half of the clothes and twice the money you originally planned for.

(P.S. This applies on any travel plans you make.)
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssobol wrote:
After you layout all your stuff, take half of the clothes and twice the money you originally planned for.

(P.S. This applies on any travel plans you make.)

+1 on this advice!
tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat Anderson wrote:
[size=18]Paper charts? Eh, a Canadian! I am not touching the "paper charts are required in Canada" contention but they certainly are not required in U.S. [color=black]Paper charts are next to useless for navigation at the helm. You may know where the rock is on the chart, but you do not know, really know, where your boat is in relation to the rock while moving through the water.

You just need to know how to use the charts Wink
I carry charts for all the areas I cruise, along with parallel rule, compass/dividers & pencil Mr. Green
Have no cell service most areas & have had the plotter fail with a software malfunction, paper has never failed (yet)
Have fun!!!
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pulled out of the attic my old Canadian chart of Clayoquot after I had just spent a week up there. It had my old bearings penciled in, some time notations (to calculate SOG for dead reckoning), and one hot fishing spot. Back then, I had a nav table as big as the chart. On the Limpet, my table is smaller than a TV tray. A secondary E chart, even if it was on a dinky iphone, would be nice, but going back to paper charts would be useless for me.

50' of extra line for something, because something always happens.

Little 12x12" cotton dish or bath clothes. You can get them cheap by the dozen. Keep one handy on the deck (suction cup hook is nice) and use it every time your hands get salty/slimy/bloody. Change as necessary. I love the ocean, but after a while everything takes on a crusty fishy damp feel. Little towels can put this off for days.

Also moist towelettes. Not the baby wipes or anything that has "moisturizing lotion" in it. My favorites are Clorox brand counter wipes, but my wife says those are too harsh on her delicate skin. For me, they work for sanitizing the fish cleaning station and a quick Navy shower (not the same towelette).

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: