The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Yamaha 4-stroke 50 hp not running full rpm

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KevinDU

City/Region: Terrace
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Otter
Photos: Sea Otter
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:23 pm    Post subject: Yamaha 4-stroke 50 hp not running full rpm Reply with quote

I have a C-Dory 22 Cruiser with twin 2007 Yamaha 50 hp 4-strokes with almost 1000 hours on each motor. On my last trip I noticed the port engine running a bit rough around 2000 rpm, and I was unable to go full throttle. The motor just won't go past 4300 rpm. I usually run both engines around 4000 rpm which gives me 12-15 knots per hour. Anyway, the boat has been at the local Yamaha mechanic for a week now. He has soaked all injectors in Seafoam without any noticeable improvement and will check the VST (vapour separation tank) next week. There is supposed to be a filter in the VST that can clog up. If anyone has had a similar experience please let me know what the problem was. Seems like my mechanic is a bit stumped. Thanks!
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, but I can’t help with the motor problem. We run Honda 40’s. Just wanted to say, I really enjoyed your photo album. You cruise in a beautiful area. In 2004 we made it to the Khutzeymateen Grizzly Preserve, but haven’t seen the rest of the area your photos represent so well.

Jay

tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Yamaha 4-stroke 50 hp not running full rpm Reply with quote

KevinDU wrote:
I have a C-Dory 22 Cruiser with twin 2007 Yamaha 50 hp 4-strokes with almost 1000 hours on each motor. On my last trip I noticed the port engine running a bit rough around 2000 rpm, and I was unable to go full throttle. The motor just won't go past 4300 rpm. I usually run both engines around 4000 rpm which gives me 12-15 knots per hour. Anyway, the boat has been at the local Yamaha mechanic for a week now. He has soaked all injectors in Seafoam without any noticeable improvement and will check the VST (vapour separation tank) next week. There is supposed to be a filter in the VST that can clog up. If anyone has had a similar experience please let me know what the problem was. Seems like my mechanic is a bit stumped. Thanks!

I once had a similar issue with a Yamaha 50 efi, the temp sensor for the ecm was out of range causing it to reduce power.
One more thing to check/suggest to your mechanic.

Wink
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a guess but how old are the fuel hoses from the tank to motors.

Fuel line have outer and inner parts and the later can separate over time especially at any sharp bends like inside the rigging hose to the under the cowling fuel filter causing a fuel restriction

KevinDU

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for all the suggestions so far!
jennykatz

City/Region: naples
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:20 am    Post subject: yamaha 50 Reply with quote

Things to check
fuel lines how old
fuel how old
h2o seperator filter replace
injectors if they are good check also plugs
make sure all elec connections are tight coming into engine

Get a new Mechanic

00 cd16 cruiser honda 40 sold 3/12
South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hunkydory wrote:
Sorry, but I can’t help with the motor problem. We run Honda 40’s. Just wanted to say, I really enjoyed your photo album. You cruise in a beautiful area. In 2004 we made it to the Khutzeymateen Grizzly Preserve, but haven’t seen the rest of the area your photos represent so well.

Jay

I agree! Kevin, every one of your pics is like a postcard. Very beautiful area.

Hope you get your motor straightened out.

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht (Twin 385 Crusaders) (SOLD 6/20)

2000 Camano 31 Troll (Volvo TAMD41p) (SOLD 2/19)

2007 C Dory 25' Cruiser (200 hp Suzuki, sold 7/17)

2003 C Dory 19' Angler (80 hp Yamaha, sold 7/16)

1995 C Dory 16' Angler (40 hp Yamaha, sold 2/16)
CC Rider

City/Region: Tsawwassen
Vessel Name: CC Rider
Photos: CC Rider
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 2006 115hp Yamaha had exactly this same symptom - would not run above 4200 RPM. I did some searching online and the most common reason was debris in the VST and specifically the small fuel screen on the entrance to the high pressure fuel pump.

The bad news was the location of the VST and integrated high pressure fuel pump - it's behind the intake manifold on the 115, which must be removed in order to get access to the VST and pump. I took it in to a Yamaha repair depot and they found that indeed, the screen/filter was partially blocked. They also wanted to sell me a new fuel pump (over $525 CDN), but I declined, so they replaced the small screen/filter and another in-line filter near the VST and I have not had a problem since.

I will probably do this service myself the next time it happens...... (need to get a shop manual for the 115.)

I know it's hard to pack everything into an outboard cowl, but you would think that the VST would be easier to access.....

Chris

KevinDU

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My 2006 115hp Yamaha had exactly this same symptom - would not run above 4200 RPM. I did some searching online and the most common reason was debris in the VST and specifically the small fuel screen on the entrance to the high pressure fuel pump.
The bad news was the location of the VST and integrated high pressure fuel pump - it's behind the intake manifold on the 115, which must be removed in order to get access to the VST and pump. I took it in to a Yamaha repair depot and they found that indeed, the screen/filter was partially blocked. They also wanted to sell me a new fuel pump (over $525 CDN), but I declined, so they replaced the small screen/filter and another in-line filter near the VST and I have not had a problem since.

I will probably do this service myself the next time it happens...... (need to get a shop manual for the 115.)

I know it's hard to pack everything into an outboard cowl, but you would think that the VST would be easier to access..
The mechanic is going to check the VST/screen next week. I am keeping my fingers crossed that this will solve the problem.
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm following this since I have just one Yamaha 50. I normally don't carry a kicker, but was planning on taking my Suzuki 2.5 to Shearwater this summer. But it turns out that the Port Hardy to Shearwater BC ferry fills up way faster than I thought and I missed out. I had to settle for Kyuquot Sound this summer.

All of this gets me off topic and I will "third" that the photos in the Sea Otter album are great. I was planning on splitting my time 50/50 between the backwaters of the Great Bear Forest and the "outside" in Queen's Sound. Queen's Sound now looks like it may need 60/40. I'll have to get my reservations by April 2019.

I'll also have to look in my manual and find out what a VST is.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jennykatz

City/Region: naples
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:15 am    Post subject: vst tank Reply with quote

The VST tank and pump should not get gunk in there if you mantain your filters and watch where you fuel up NO ETHANOL gas

I hope your mechanic can fix or clean out the VST for you .Also check the fuel pickup screen and make sure there is no air sucking in pickup tube .

I had a fuel problem it was the fuel pickups sucking in air also needed to change out fuel filters water seperator and the one on engine

Good Luck
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I once had a similar issue with a Yamaha 50 efi, the temp sensor for the ecm was out of range causing it to reduce power.
One more thing to check/suggest to your mechanic.

Even thou the VST might be a problem I think the temp sensor might also be a problem OR it might be the warning its suppose to be. Is your thermostat ok? does it open? 1000 hours? when did you replace it last? Fail safes are there for a reason. Yes your alarm should go off but does it???? Have you checked it? Has the shop. Never trust a shop to check everything.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: