The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Small kicker direct to transom of C-25?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BillE

City/Region: Nashville
State or Province: TN
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: BillE
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:03 pm    Post subject: Small kicker direct to transom of C-25? Reply with quote

Has anyone successfully used any small kicker clamped---not bolted--- direct to the transom without a bracket or mounting plate?
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My CD-22 had a 15 hp Johnson 2-stroke clamped to the transom and linked with an EZ-Steer rod to the main motor, so if it can be done on a 22, it can be done on a 25.

To do it without a bracket, you'll need a long shaft (20'') kicker.

To start and steer the motor with the motor's steering handle, it will have to be mounted on the starboard side of the boat to be convenient.

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Suzuki 9.9 clamped directly to the transom. It also has two bolts since the holes were already there. It has power tilt, which makes it simpler for an old guy like me, but a manual tilt would work also.

It is a DF9.9 BTHX which has the extended 25" shaft the same as the main motor. With it tilted fully up the skeg touches the water on plane but the prop clears the water and does not spin.

I can steer the kicker with the tiller handle all the way both directions if I leave the main down. I have to tip the handle up when it gets close to the main motor but a little creative handling makes it work. I do not use the kicker for trolling so I don't have a tie bar on it. If there isn't much wind or current, the boat can be steered from the helm using the main as a rudder and the kicker left aimed straight ahead.

The biggest issue is clearance for turning the main. I found a spot that allows the main to turn fully without touching and also allows the main to be tilted up and turned all the way to one side without touching. I just have to make sure the main motor is close to centered on the steering when lifting it and then turn it toward the kicker for stowage.

Mine is an older CD25 Cruise Ship, but the lower hull and transom are the same as the new models.

You can't see it in this picture, but there is a piece of stainless flatbar bent and twisted into a bracket that is bolted inside the splashwell. The tiller handle of the fully tilted kicker is held to the bracket with two velcro straps to keep the kicker in the sweet spot.

BillE

City/Region: Nashville
State or Province: TN
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: BillE
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Joe and TyBoo, I'm going small and I'm pretty sure I have engine clearance. I was most concerned about clearing the trim tabs, but you guys seem to have made it work.
little wing

City/Region: Oakland
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Toots
Photos: Toots
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my 22, a 9.8 short shaft 4 stroke fits the transom and easily clears the Bennett trim tab while it sits close to vertical. However, its depth is short of the bottom of the boat, so suffers a bit when rocking and rolling.

I tried a short shaft 6hp 4 stroke. It was too snug a fit on the transom, and would clear the trim tab, but on max tilt. Not a great angle. I sold it without trying it out.

Note that the larger the motor, the larger the horizontal distance from transom to shaft. The 9.8 is a good fit, the smaller motor, not so.

Brackets etc don't thrill me. Since I want to clamp directly on the transom, best for me would be a long shaft 9.8. I'm looking.
jennykatz

City/Region: naples
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject: suzuji 2 1/2hp Reply with quote

I have a suzuki 2 1/2 hp short shaft I was wondering if that would fit a 23 venture cc-23 When i pull the boat I will have to check it out Anyone use it for a cd 22 ?
00 cd16 cruiser honda 40 sold 3/12
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used the Suzuki 2.5 on both the 22 and 25, But with a bracket.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: