View previous topic :: View next topic  
eagle57

City/Region: newman
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Maddie-Kay-T
Photos: eagle57 (Name TBD)
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:33 pm    Post subject: Need advice Reply with quote

I'm looking at getting back into a 22 ft c-dory and what I'm seeing the prices are much better on the east coast then the West which is where I live (CA) plus more to choose from. So how does one find a surveyor ,a hauler. I'm looking at a 2004 with a 90 with 950 hrs , are these high hrs? The boat looks very clean from the pictures.has anyone here purchased from one coast to the other.Any advice. Thank you. Kevin
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:34 am    Post subject: Re: Need advice Reply with quote

eagle57 wrote:
I'm looking at getting back into a 22 ft c-dory and what I'm seeing the prices are much better on the east coast then the West which is where I live (CA) plus more to choose from. So how does one find a surveyor ,a hauler. I'm looking at a 2004 with a 90 with 950 hrs , are these high hrs? The boat looks very clean from the pictures.has anyone here purchased from one coast to the other.Any advice. Thank you. Kevin

There are many more C-Dories on the west coast than in the eastern US, but they are just sold quicker out here, I think.

I don't know how much less the boats out here are, in general, but, yes, the prices are generally less. (Goes for a lot of boats and things in general.)

The cost to have a boat transported will be at least $1 per mile, and can be considerably more. This could add as much as $3000 or more to the total cost. Will there be a real saving?

Buying a boat from somewhere without seeing it yourself can be problematic. I'd certainly have it surveyed by a competent and certified surveyor. Actually, I'd try to fly over to see it myself before closing the deal and having it shipped or renting a truck and hauling it back myself.

If you're not in a great hurry, you might try a different approach. Shop locally, but "lie in wait". If you watch carefully, real bargains do appear, (if you wait long enough), but you'll have to be prepared to move fast which means 1.) being one of the very first to respond, 2.) being ready to travel, and 3.) having cash in hand. This also means knowing what you want and what you don't in a boat.

950 hours in about 1/2 the expected life of most privately owned larger outboards. Commercial operators can get 5000 hours or more from an engine, but that's in everyday use, not with occasional use, which kills outboard motors regardless of the hours logged.

Dr. Bob (Thataway) has bought C-Dories and transported them himself and had them shipped as well. It will be interesting to see what he has to say on this topic.

Good Luck!

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly agree with Joe. Be ready to grab a good boat as soon as you see it advertised. The good ones often sell fast, especially if priced right.

I have bought 4 C Dory boats from out of the area, and one new Tom Cat from Wefings--about 200 miles away. On the 4 I have bought out of the area, I relied only on photos and conversation with the owner. When looking for the 25 we just bought, we rejected 3 boats in our area, due to condition. The one we bought was about 800 miles away. I took almost a full day to inspect (survey) the boat, and then did sea trial. An adjustment in price was negotiated, and I paid, and left towing the boat.

I purchased my first 25 in New Jersey, brought it to Pensacola for repairs, and then trailered it to Calif. where it was kept in San Clemente. Other places I have bought C Dory boats: New Mexico, Virginia, and North Carolina. Inboard diesel trawlers I have bought some distance from home, and brought them 700 to 800 miles on their own bottoms.

I have only had one boat shipped--and that was a 9 1/2 foot beam, 12,000# boat, which I flew up to see in Michigan (1200 miles away). I surveyed the boat, but sea trial was not an option since the harbor had frozen overnight (January). The boat met my other criteria, and I paid $1 a mile for shipping (hauler coming back with empty trailer, in January, and in 2003--so prices may have gone up.

Finding a surveyor can be difficult-there are a few good ones. I prefer a NAMS certified surveyor whose standards are higher. I like for the surveyor to have at least some "ABYC" certifications, or extensive knowledge, and be ready to use modern equipment--such as ultra sound, IR photography, etc.

Asking on this board, or The Hull Truth, often will find a good qualified surveyor.

As for the engine hours, it depends on how it was cared for. I am aware of 800 hour engines which were bad, and 2500 hour c Dory engines which were still in good shape. Try and find out maintenance, which is documented. I agree don't buy without your at least inspecting the boat, and you doing a sea trial. The survey can be done before that if you want--but surveyors may miss something which seems essential to you.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
rbfconstruction

City/Region: huntington beach
Photos: Angler Management
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:31 am    Post subject: need advice Reply with quote

There are companies that will tow it for you. (cheapest option). Plan on needing new tires on the trailer when it arrives. If it has dual axle, Tell the tower to send you a pic of the boat to assure he is towing it level. If you research boat towing, there is a site that people will bid against each other to gain your biz.
The seller (if willing) can take the boat to a reputable service center and have the boat gone over with a full report about hours and compression etc. Ask for proof of service records also. The marina that "surveyed"mine did nothing as stated about anything. there was water in the hull, mold, bugs etc., the bottom paint was terrible and the yami required 1800 in maintenance. My point is, buyer beware. Do not trust the voice on the other end without proper proof. Oh and current pics are a must!!!!!
Lastly, after my purchase- far and few between, There have been a handful of nice c Dorys local. good luck my friend

Richard
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And ask if the boat has had a recent survey. I once looked at a boat that had a recent survey, and the seller (actually a broker) was willing to toss the die and have a new looker pay for another survey (and for a good reason given what the first surveyor found). Another time, the broker just happened to mention to me that months ago another out of town prospective purchaser had flown a surveyor up, it passed the survey, and then the buyer backed out. The price had since come down while the boat sat in covered dry storage, and when I called the surveyor, he gave me a glowing report and said that his client, the purchaser who had backed out, was crazy for passing on the boat. Nice to know, thank you very much.

As to cash in hand, when I bought my CD 16 in Canada, I arranged with my bank to make a bank-to-bank wire transfer based on my phone call because of what I thought was a limit of taking $10,000 cash across the boarder. My bank was fine, but the Canadian bank had a 24 hour hold even on a wire transfer, which meant spending the night and waiting at the bank for a few hours the next day. Not a big deal, but my understanding now is that the limit is $10,000 of undeclared cash. Of course, it depends on your comfort level with carrying cash and maybe whether you can sit on a thick wallet for a 10 hour drive.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never, ever use a surveyor recommended by the seller, especially if the boat is in a brokerage or one recommended by a marina where the boat is located.

U Ship is a shipping expeditor. I have used them. You will get bids. Only use a commercial hauler, be sure your insurance covers the boat during transport. Get insurance on the boat as you sign the papers for the sale...you own the boat then! I arrange for it before I transfer the money.

Be sure that the hauler is bonded, has insurance on your boat, and is fully insured, plus pulls any permits.

Trailer Tires--never run tires more than 5 years old. Goodyear is now again producing trailer tires in the USA! (Endurance is the brand.) That would be my first choice.

Always check the lube on the hubs. be sure that the hauler checks axle hub temperature every couple of hours if towing, and has tire pressure monitors.
eagle57

City/Region: newman
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Maddie-Kay-T
Photos: eagle57 (Name TBD)
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thank all of you for your great information. When I seen a 2007 for 29,500 and looking very clean i thought how could I pass that up. I do have the cash in hand but I will have more when I sale the bayliner . Again thank you
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: