View previous topic :: View next topic  
kennharriet

City/Region: Grangeville
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Lochsa
Photos: Lochsa
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject: Campbell River launch and parking Reply with quote

Any suggestions on launching and truck/ trailer parking at Campbell River. We are headed to Desolation Sound and plan to launch from there. Thx in advance. Ken
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI Ken, I and several other Brats have stored at CR Storage just a few minutes north of Campbell River. They have always been good about transportation to and from the marina, although I know Colby didn't stay there this year.

I just called and they are open and near full so call and reserve/arrange. They have a nice wash down area and I was able to sleep there on the boat one night but I'm not sure they are really into that. There was a nice clean washroom.

Here is the link to their site:

http://crstoragewarehouses.ca/

250-287-UNIT (8648)
Toll-free: 1-866-513-8648

There is also parking at the marina although it is less secure I would think.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ken, I spoke to a gal at CR a few times, and she was very pleasant on the phone. And they were willing to work with me on prorating for whatever length of time I needed. However, with my schedule it didn't look like I would be able to get a free ride from them back to the launch area, and I didn't want to add the cost of a cab to the parking costs. (She was going to be there by herself and wouldn't be able to leave.) Since I decided to only be there a week anyway, I just parked right at the ramp parking lot. $5/night. (Fee to stay at CR that length of time would actually have been a few bucks more.) There was no wash down there, but I had an ag tank in the back of my truck with 15 gallons of Salt Away to rinse down my electric brake system. There was a car wash a mile or so from the ramp, on the way north out of town just before getting back on the highway. The ramp is a good ramp with a very long dock, and well protected from wind. I think the launch fee was $7. Just be careful about docking your boat on the oppositte side of the dock from the ramp at low tide. It shallows quickly. When I initially launched, the gal (Phyllis from the Fisherman's Wharf marina there in Campbell River) said the ramp had an agreement with the City for free rig parking at a gravel lot just across the street from the McDonalds. That lot is divided in half, with paid parking on the north side. It's also about a mile walk from the ramp. However, when I was there I didn't see any boat trailer rigs parked there, but rather just some older cars and a camper. I spoke to a Mountie driving through, and he said he wouldn't leave his personal vehicle there for a week due to transient traffic. There is also signage that limits parking to 48 hours, although the Mountie said that is not enforced. That was enough for me to go back and pay the parking fee at the ramp lot. The lot isn't real big, but there was room when I was there.

If you don't mind launching out of Ladysmith and going thru the Strait there to get to Desolation, the ramp is at the Fisherman's Wharf marina there, and parking is free. Check in with Cheryl the wharf manager there, and she'll keep an eye on your rig. I had no problems the week I was parked there. You also have a nice rv wash two blocks away with an outboard flush hose as well.

BTW, I just did some math the other night. Gas ended up being $5.50-$6.50 / gal . (Canadian Dollar.) That included road and water gas. If the road station has marine gas, that's usually cheaper than auto gas. (And you are not allowed to put the marina gas in your auto). Just a dyed gas that isn't taxed.

Colby
Discovery

City/Region: LOA, UTAH
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Discovery
Photos: Discovery
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have stayed at Discovery Marina in Campbell River many times, but never launched there. Large parking lot, not really secure.

A little further north is Browns Bay Marina. A really nice place. Great RV park also.
http://www.brownsbayresort.com/marina/

Brent and Dixie,
1984 22' Classic sold 2003
2003 24' TomCat sold 2005
2006 TC255 Discovery Sold 2020
2006 CD 22' Angler Sold 2014
https://share.delorme.com/FBrentBetenson
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms." ~ Thomas Jefferson
colbysmith

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish I would have known about that Browns marina! Looks nice from the website. And sounds like it would have been a better place to launch and park. Colby
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Discovery wrote:
We have stayed at Discovery Marina in Campbell River many times, but never launched there. Large parking lot, not really secure.

A little further north is Browns Bay Marina. A really nice place. Great RV park also.
http://www.brownsbayresort.com/marina/

I have not launched at Browns Bay but have stayed there on the boat a couple of times. They have a really neat display of news about the blowing up of Ripple Rock (Seymore Narrows) and decent fish and chips. There is no side dock at their launch so it is almost like a beach launch.

Going south from Campbell River is Pacific Paradise resort. They have parking, a wash ramp, and launch ramp. It is doable but short and low tides could be an issue.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

colbysmith

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, no side dock. Glad I didn't know about it earlier. lol. It's semi Ok to use a ramp without a dock when my wife or some helper is along, but not solo! Colby
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: