The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Praise for C-Dory boats

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gary f

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:25 pm    Post subject: Praise for C-Dory boats Reply with quote

Today we went 2 miles out and 7 miles south from Newport, Oregon. At the end of our trip we re-fueled at the fuel dock in the Newport Marina. The guy who runs the fuel dock (a retired Commercial Shrimp and Tuna boat Captain) complimented us about C-Dory boats. He said, "C-Dory boats are good solid boats and are very safe." I thanked him for this compliment knowing that it was made with honesty and especially coming from someone with his experience.

While we were out today the ocean conditions were more severe that what NOAA had predicted. While returning and wanting to cross the bar at 3pm, we met up with a Coast Guard Ship checking on the ocean conditions. Listening to VHF, we heard the upgraded ocean conditions and were glad to hear that the bar was still open for us to get back to Newport. We followed the big ship across the bar in his wake which made for easy travel. Good timing for us to be there while they were in the area! Wind waves were bigger than originally predicted, up to 4', and more than we wanted for our 2nd trip over the bar! Swells were 5' and off the beam at the entrance, so it was a rough ride. It was really cool to watch the C-Dory handle the ocean as we cut through the water/spray. We felt totally safe in our C-Dory knowing that it was a solid boat.
South of Heaven

City/Region: Stoughton
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job Captain! Stay vigilant.

2000 Camano 31 Troll (Volvo TAMD41p)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqwadBnoCDo

2007 C Dory 25' Cruiser (200 hp Suzuki, sold 7/17)

2003 C Dory 19' Angler (80 hp Yamaha, sold 7/16)

1995 C Dory 16' Angler (40 hp Yamaha, sold 2/16)
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been doing some version of Safety Boat Service for almost 10 years now. It involves rowing clubs, kayak groups, even an international rowing race championship held at Port Townsend and the Race to Alaska for the last 4 years. It is very common that when the coordinators find out I am running a C-Dory 22 they say" Oh good we can put you ....... (wherever they think the roughest conditions will be), because you can handle that water. And yes, the C-Dory can do it. Just the other day I was told by one of the R2AK racers that he was glad to see me come out to where he was to check on him because "the boats are afraid to get into the water I am in" which was a big tide rip washing machine with 4 - 6 foot slop coming at him from every direction.

The bottom always stays down and the top up. I guess that is the important stuff.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

JamesTXSD

City/Region: Tropical Tip of Texas
State or Province: TX
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a blast from the near past regarding these boats. We traveled all around with our CD-25. BUT, rarely on a schedule. The first three years I drove commercial whale watch boats (32' to 55') in Friday Harbor, Bill Carli was out there daily doing 6-pac charters with his CD-25. Going on a schedule means you don't get to pick your weather. Bill and I would relate sea conditions - and he rarely cancelled trips. I saw him out there in conditions I would have avoided with our CD-25. He sold the boat and the business a few years ago. Tough boat.
Tippy Canoe

City/Region: Central
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: TBD
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary - so glad that you are out with your boat and sharing your adventures with us here! We have not had a chance to get out with ours yet but we are getting ready. Took our Boater Education class and got our crab pots. Hoping to hit Newport by fall!

Paul and Vicky
gary f

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news Paul and Vicky. It would be great seeing you both again. Good timing for you to get those crab pots. Crabbing is just starting to get good in Newport Bay. We can set the pots and head upriver together for a fun adventure with the C-Dorys and then collect all of those Dungeness crabs Smile Gary and Colleen
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: