The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

'99 twin Honda 45 not winterized and no use in 8 years???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
easy does it

City/Region: Redmond
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Pura Vida
Photos: Easy Does It
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:08 am    Post subject: '99 twin Honda 45 not winterized and no use in 8 years??? Reply with quote

my friend is looking at a C-Dory with twin 45's stored ourdoors for 8 years and not winterized. Running fine when parked with about 1200 hrs. So what are the chances the motors could be salvaged, with some serious maintenance. That is all we know. Is it possible or are they history just give me a percentage. Much appreciated. Cheers
PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they're running fine now, They're probably just fine. Check the engine oil for water, just in case. The damage that can happen is usually catastrophic, so either the water jackets have expanded with ice and cracked the block or they're perfectly fine.

A lot of people just lower the outboard tilt down so water can drain out and call that good.

easy does it

City/Region: Redmond
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Pura Vida
Photos: Easy Does It
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:01 am    Post subject: post subject Reply with quote

they are not running now, the battery is bad. we don't know if they will run, that is the reason for the post.
PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I gotcha, I misunderstood. I was focused on the winterization, but that may not be an issue. We don't know if there was fuel left in the system that has now turned into varnish. If it was a boat I was looking at, I would try to run the engines. I'd bring a small portable fuel tank and either a new fuel line/squeeze bulb, or at a minimum squirt all the old fuel out of the existing line until its clear with the fresh gas. Hook up to the motors with a battery you've borrowed from something else and see if they will run.

They may fire up just fine, after some choke. They're Hondas after all. Or they may have left fuel in the carbs, needing a rebuild. There's 3 on each engine so that can add up if hiring a shop.

If they run, I'd change all the fluids, and run some seafoam mixed into the first tank of gas to clean out any remaining gunk left in the fuel system.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pull a battery from a vehicle, or jumper the outboard to start it. You want to first check the oil--be sure that there is no water in the oil.

Be sure and put on the "Muffs" and have water running to the lower unit, so you won't damage the impeller or engine by running it out of the water.

There is a good chance that the engines will be fine, but should have some work done on them...they will have carburetors, and those may have to be cleaned, if the engine was not run out of fuel, or the carburetors were not drained. (which should always be done if you are not going to use the boat for more than a few weeks. So, the engines may or may not even start--depending on how bad the carburetors are.

The fuel will be no good, and the tanks will have to be pumped out, and the old gas disposed of. You will probably want to replace all of the fuel lines. Probably new spark plugs, new lower unit oil, change the engine oil before running the motors on a body of water.

I would not be afraid to buy the boat if you could not start the engines, but price it to replace the engines.

% the engines are totally shot? 10%-- You cannot really say if they are or not without running. The 1200 hours--depends on how well they were maintained, if run in salt or fresh water and how the engines were run.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
jennykatz

City/Region: naples
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:22 am    Post subject: 45 honda Reply with quote

First thing is bring along a battery and see if she will start and run Before you go to start Check
1-check to see if oil is good maybe change it
2-fresh gas off a 3- 6 gallon aux tank
3-check spark ,remove plugs squirt a little oil down cylinder rotate by hand
Then once it gets running change out all filters new plugs maybe new fuel lines and pickups on tank remove old gas from tanks change out lower unit oil and replace water pumps
Good Luck
1200 hours are maybe 50-60% life of these engines ?

00 cd16 cruiser honda 40 sold 3/12
spuncopper

City/Region: Camden/ Lake Wateree
State or Province: SC
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sock Monkey
Photos: Sock Monkey
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject: 45 honda Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I agree with everything said so far. I would also suggest pulling the sparkplugs and squirting some motor oil on top of the pistons. With sparkplugs out you should be able to turn the engines over, by hand, to spread the oil up and down the cylinder walls. (There are oils designed specifically for this.) It may prevent the rings from sticking thus requiring a total tear down.

Good luck.
Spuncopper
tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: '99 twin Honda 45 not winterized and no use in 8 years?? Reply with quote

easy does it wrote:
my friend is looking at a C-Dory with twin 45's stored ourdoors for 8 years and not winterized. Running fine when parked with about 1200 hrs. So what are the chances the motors could be salvaged, with some serious maintenance. That is all we know. Is it possible or are they history just give me a percentage. Much appreciated. Cheers

When you tilt an outboard down all the water that can freeze runs out (winterized) Carbs. may or may not need rebuilding
50/50 chance. Put a battery in it, some new fuel, hook it up to the muffs & try it. It will either work out perfect or not. Guaranteed Rolling Eyes Wink Thumbs Up
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worry on engine hours if boat was well maintained. Like others suggested carbs could be a problem & need rebuilding. We are presently passing 1000 miles on a SE Alaska cruise on twin Honda 1999, 40's with 2265 hours on them & are heading to Fords Terror today. They are running as well as ever & the carbs have never been adjusted or rebuilt. Any motor can quit at any time, but I have enough faith in these to not hesitate making the trip we are now on & over half the hours have been in salt water.

Jay

starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I just received a 17 ft boat with a 2001 50 hp that has not been ran in 5 years and was not ran for 5 years before that. Old gas and dead battery. It runs fine and I just used it sunday on the lake.

it all depends on how it was stored. I drained the fuel from the motor 5 years ago when it was used last, father inlaws boat. So no carb problems. I added a canister fuel filter/ water separator so no water problems. Change the impeller and change the oil and filter and you should have no problems.

I would also pull the plugs and squirt oil into the cylinders and then turn the motor by hand with out the plugs in just to get oil on the walls before replacing the plugs and cranking the motor.

Worse case is you have to rebuild the carbs I if its not fuel injected.

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF the outboards were stored in the down position, it is likely that there was no freezing damage done even if the boat is in Utah. IF the fuel was run clear out, or carbs drained it may start with new plugs and new fuel. I would pull the spark plugs and give the cylinders a good dose of fogging oil spray, and work that through a couple of cycles before starting it. If the carbs were left with fuel in, and I would bet there is at least a 90% chance of that, the carbs are going to need to be cleaned, ($$$) adjusted and synced. Might all be worth it though, 1200 hours is not all that much.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: